West Ham Utd 1-1 Brighton & Hove Albion (1/12/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & Hove Albion: match thread

Post by Hockley Hammer »

I can see why the manager didn't make wholesale changes after the two league defeats.

Last night was a game for quite a few players to get their form back, fair play to Brighton for deciding it wasn't going to be that way.

I expected our front four to be far better than they were last night, substitutions were difficult as you could have taken all four off based on performance. We know what all four are capable of, so for all of them to have an off-night is going to hurt us.

I think Lanzini has to start on Saturday as he looks the only attacking player capable of keeping possession. Maybe Vlasic in there too to put a bit of beef into midfield.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Doc H Ball wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:25 pm I miss being so close to the subs, trainers, sponge man etc.

I remember Lee running past the Lower Bobby when he was on Bolton’s staff and getting a rendition of ‘He’s fat, he’s round, he bounces on the ground’ which he appreciated. Always liked him after that.
:newthumb: didn't we also give him he gets his suits from either matalan or was it the baby shop that went out of business? f*** me my memory is shocking for stuff like this!

Was having a discussion with a mate recently about our away days, I said wish I had been to that game, he said "you were"..
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:11 pm Only Antonio will know if he touched it or not, but he certainly wheeled away in celebration like he had!
So would you if you hadn't scored in yonks :crylol:
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Doc H Ball wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:49 pm Now I’ve got an image of Sammy Lee at Wembley ducking his head to avoid interfering with play when Liverpool scored in 1981 and it being given.

I need to move on.
A few years ago I went to see Rushden & Diamonds vs Yeovil in the FA Cup. Only goal of the game was scored by Yeovil when a shot went through the legs of a player (I think Dean Bowditch) who had deliberately let it through rather than have it hit him, and was stood a good five yards offside in front of the keeper. I have no idea how it was given.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Brighton & Hove Albion
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136500
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

When everyone has finished arguing Antonio's 'goal' into a bona fide worldie from outside the area, will the score and our points tally change?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I like Graham Potter
I respect the way he has worked his way up from the team in Sweden to the Premier League, and he seems like a decent bloke
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Good to see there is a lot of OV agreement with our VAR decision. There is something massively wrong with football when a goal is dissected to the nth degree to find something palpably wrong before deciding that a barely deflected touch on a goal line scramble was 2mm offside.
Ludicrous and bravo to the BHA supporters
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Up the Junction wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:47 pm The opposition view: Brighton & Hove Albion
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136500
Blimey, what an honest bunch on the whole. Makes a refreshing change.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

ageing hammer wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:58 pm Ok my last go at this, I really need to know the rule on this so...

If the backheel from Duffy doesn't touch Antonio and goes into the net is the goal allowed or not allowed.
If it doesn't touch Antonio, he is not interfering with play, therefore it would be an own-goal.

If Duffy deliberately attempts to play or touch the ball with any part of his body, then Antonio becomes onside. It then doesn't matter if it touches Antonio or not.
Unless... it was considered to be a deliberate SAVE by the defender - Antonio is back offside but ONLY IF the ball touches him.
A save is an attempted stop when the ball is goal bound (it wasn't) or heading very close to the goal (it arguably was - how close is close?). It still needs to hit Antonio for him to become actively offside though.

VAR took 3m 41s to decide "recommend the goal be disallowed as it appears to brush Antonio's sock" - Brush? How much contact is actually needed? For a deflection, or awarding a goal it's long been established the ball has to visibly change direction. How can such fine contact be possibly judged, especially without freeze frame, close-up, video replays. A linesman will never be able to spot that.
Well, let's be honest, after 3mins 41secs of scrutiny, VAR couldn't really spot it either.
They've just given the benefit of the doubt to the defence.

I'm sure Brighton (Sanches) were appealing for a foul on the keeper though, which was actually his own player (Duffy).
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

What is now abundantly clear (from the disallowed goal), is that you’re entitled to flatten a defender in your way and off the ball. Barge him over and it’s perfectly legal.

:crossed:
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

When you think about it Masuaku is an odd choice of player to bring on to to do a specific job ie protecting a lead. I mean considering the amount of times its failed miserably combined with just how generally random and erratic he is.

I still like him though. He’s very ‘West Ham of old’. :)
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

If Cresswell plays then we win last night
Last edited by jastons on Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Bringing him on as a LB/LWB/LW hybrid is also a terrible idea
It changes the shape and all of a sudden no one really knows what they are doing and what formation they are supposed to be playing. Arthur is then expected to join the attack and defend

If you are going to bring him on to protect a lead, make it a direct replacement for the LW and stick with the back four

I love Arthur (as i am sure you realise) but he isn't an ideal substitute when defending a lead as he can take s time to get into the game

Would be better to bring Kral or Noble on and pack the midfield
kentishiron
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by kentishiron »

I really don’t think Duffy, who wasn’t even looking at the ball, stepping back into it can be classed as him swinging his leg into it but that’s just my opinion.

Like I’ve said previously though, how would him blocking an effort and an offside player scoring the rebound be any different to a keeper making a save and an offside player scoring a rebound?

Antonio appears to have the slightest touch on the ball, and it really was the slightest, therefore the goal was rightly overruled.
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

Morocco Mole wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:14 pm When you think about it Masuaku is an odd choice of player to bring on to to do a specific job ie protecting a lead. I mean considering the amount of times its failed miserably combined with just how generally random and erratic he is.

I still like him though. He’s very ‘West Ham of old’. :)
I don't like his Deontay Wilder looking beard :nonpl:

Come to think of it he is only good at attacking too and can't bloody defend for toffee either :smiler:
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Morocco Mole wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:14 pm When you think about it Masuaku is an odd choice of player to bring on to to do a specific job ie protecting a lead. I mean considering the amount of times its failed miserably combined with just how generally random and erratic he is.
Used to hate Enner Valencia being subbed on towards the end of games too, always felt he made the team noticeably jumpier. Presumably trust issues with the rest of the team in that regard. Could never understand why any manager would do it.
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

jastons wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:19 pm If Cresswell plays then we win last night
Or any left back who can defend
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

ageing hammer wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:23 pm Or any left back who can defend
Ben Johnson defended well last night.

Just very average with the ball.