Euro final branded a 'national shame'

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Euro final branded a 'national shame'

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

'Drunken and drugged up thugs' could have caused death
"Ticketless, drunken and drugged-up thugs" could have caused death as they stormed Wembley before the Euro 2020 final, says a review into the disorder.

The report by Baroness Louise Casey said there was a "collective failure" in planning for the match, which about 2,000 people got into illegally.

It noted 17 mass breaches of disabled access gates and emergency fire doors.

Lady Casey said the "appalling scene of disorder" as England played Italy led to a "day of national shame".

Her report said there was a "collective failure" in planning for the match on 11 July, including a "vulnerable" stewarding operation lacking experience partly because of the pandemic and the police deployment arriving "too late".

The knowledge that about 25,000 of Wembley's 90,000 seats would be left empty because of Covid restrictions contributed to a "perfect storm" of factors.

"Our team of role models were in our first major final for 55 years. However they were let down by a horde of ticketless, drunken and drugged up thugs who chose to abuse innocent, vulnerable and disabled people, as well as police officers, volunteers and Wembley staff," said Lady Casey.

"We are genuinely lucky that there was not much more serious injury or worse, and need to take the toughest possible action against people who think a football match is somehow an excuse to behave like that.

"I am clear that the primary responsibility for what went wrong at Wembley that day lies with those who lost control of their own behaviour."

more...
A pretty damning report laying the blame squarely on the 'supporters'. The FA has accepted the report; "We fully accept the report's findings and there are important learnings for us, as well as other agencies involved,"
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Re: Euro final branded a 'national shame'

Post by Collison Theory »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:04 pm 'Drunken and drugged up thugs' could have caused death

A pretty damning report laying the blame squarely on the 'supporters'. The FA has accepted the report; "We fully accept the report's findings and there are important learnings for us, as well as other agencies involved,"
I think it's primarily a security issue. Not defending the fans, it's a scummy thing to piggyback a disabled entrance, but ultimately people will try and get into an event that is very exclusive (compared to demand) and the tickets are worth hundreds of pounds. You have to hire sufficient security to stop that and they didn't.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Collison Theory wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:15 pm I think it's primarily a security issue.
I think it's primarily a people being c***s issue.
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

-DL- wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:33 pm I think it's primarily a people being c***s issue.
Agree DL however in this day and age when putting on an event this big you have to plan on people being c**** when assessing security
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

What’s to be ashamed of,this is England.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

It was not our finest hour, I think it’s fair to say.
Resident
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Resident »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:55 pm It was not our finest hour, I think it’s fair to say.
Just a normal Saturday night in most city and town centres at 11pm outside and inside pubs.

Yet football gets reported on.

General behaviour and pubs don't ...

Why not????

Already just witnessed 2 20 year old girls peeing in the road on way home from restaurant with my children.

Yet forbid an football fan doing this huh???
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Oh yeah, I was definitely saying that it's okay for people to behave like dickheads at other times.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

Resident wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:35 pm Just a normal Saturday night in most city and town centres at 11pm outside and inside pubs.

Yet football gets reported on.
:lol:

I'm sure there would be the appropriate outrage if 5.2bn people were tuned in to watch chucking out time at the Dog 'n Duck and see Sharon and Tracy pissing in the gutter. :)