World Class Transport Links

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators :  chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

brownout
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

World Class Transport Links

Post by brownout » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:43 pm

Getting home from the Olympic Stadium seems to be getting more difficult.

Wednesday, just missed a C2C at West Ham. Tube to Barking. It terminated there. Waited 21 minutes for an Upminster tube after four in a row terminated at Barking. This arrived at the same time as the next C2C (which was late, as they all are after the game, delayed by people trying to squeeze onto trains at West Ham). Anyway it was too full to get on so had to get the tube anyway.

Saturday there are no C2C to West Ham and just two an hour to Stratford.

C2C seem to have given up running extra trains after games - or putting 12 coaches on busiest trains.

DLR seem to have given up with the extra trains from Stratford International that terminated at West Ham, to move crowds after the game.

District Line could run a few more to Upminster after games, especially when C2C disrupted, but don't bother.

I appreciate that there have to be engineering works (although getting away from engineering works on the District Line seemed to be one of the justifications for moving from Upton Park), but neither Stratford nor West Ham stations can cope with the numbers after home games and the train companies seem to have given up putting on extra trains or extra coaches.

Boxing Day is going to be a nightmare.

The ‘World Class Transport Links’ that Karren promised us are in reality a lot of train lines but not enough trains and inadequate infrastructure to reach them.

mushy
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Re: World Class Transport Links

Post by mushy » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:05 pm

Stratford station is now officially the busiest station in the UK, overtaking Waterloo.

goa127
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by goa127 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:45 pm

much as I am not a fan of Karen Brady it's hardly her fault if C2C or the district line don't run sufficient trains. One of the reasons so many trains terminate at barking is because they are not district line trains but H & C line which runs Hammersmith to Barking. Outside peak times through trains to Upminster only run every 10 or 12 minutes.

sutts07
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by sutts07 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:58 pm

brownout wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:43 pm
Boxing Day is going to be a nightmare.
December 26th

C2C - No service.
Greater Anglia - On Boxing Day, no trains will operate on Greater Anglia routes with the exception of Stansted Express services.
London Underground - Public transport, including buses, trams, London Underground and London Overground trains, do run on Boxing Day, but on a reduced service.

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 127 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:01 pm

tbf it is extremely difficult to get to any ground on Boxing Day via public transport

sutts07
Has liked: 1 like

Post by sutts07 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:18 pm

goa127 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:45 pm
much as I am not a fan of Karen Brady it's hardly her fault if C2C or the district line don't run sufficient trains.
This. To be fair, we have all complained about the lack of a home 3pm boxing day fixture for many years (myself included), but now we have one I don't think I am actually going to attend as I just can't see a logistical way of getting there that won't wipe out the whole day.

For me, coming in from 'the sticks' of Billericay or Shenfield, it is without any doubt a lot easier to get to and from Stratford than it was the old ground by train.

I also don't think the walk to the stadium is that bad either (might need to put a tin hat on here).
0.6 miles from Stratford underground station to the stadium now, 11mins for the average person. If you want to reduce that you can go to Pudding Mill Lane and it is only 0.4 miles, 8 mins on average.

It used to be 0.5 miles from the Duke to the back of the Chicken Run and 0.4 direct from Upton Park station. East Ham was 0.9 miles and 18 mins, Forest Gate was 1.7 miles and 37 mins.

I can't think of any stadium in the UK that has better transport links than ours in all honesty. Our place is much better than Wembley and roughly the same distance from the closest tube. Fact of the matter is, it takes a long time to move 60k people in and out of one venue.

Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:29 pm

@Brownout - I think I was in the same situation on Wednesday night - got to Barking on the H&C line from West Ham and then the long wait for the next District line train to Upminster or C2C.
Squeezed in just about on the district line train when it finally came. 95 minutes to get home, we was not impressed.
Boxing Day is going to be a nightmare, a lot who sit around us who live out east say they won’t bother and will watch on the box. Not sure watch channel it’s on but I’m sure there is a way with a fire stick.
Did you know that if you are delayed on TFL for more than 15 minutes in certain situations (within TFL control) you can go online and put in a claim for a refund. Used to be known as a customer charter back in the days of paper forms.

StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 141 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:30 pm

sutts07 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:18 pm
I can't think of any stadium in the UK that has better transport links than ours in all honesty. Our place is much better than Wembley and roughly the same distance from the closest tube. Fact of the matter is, it takes a long time to move 60k people in and out of one venue.
I went to [stadium that won't be named] to watch the NFL recently and it was an absolute nightmare getting away. Pretty much as bad as Wembley, just spread in four different directions rather than just one.

Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:48 pm

To be fair the transport links to the LS are better than most, as in number of available stations and train/tube lines within a reasonable walking distance. The Boleyn essentially had three stations, all on the same lines. Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Wembley are all worse IMO.

What the train companies choose to when scheduling trains is a different question.

As to boxing day, coming from Hampshire is a pain. For the Boleyn I would have driven and parked up a side street, not really an option for the LS. So I suspect that we will park on the west side, probably around Kew, and spend an hour on the tube each way.

funky chicken
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by funky chicken » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:02 pm

I have the displeasure of having to travel on the c2c trains. They are handled so badly coming home from the games. You’d thing the morons who are in charge of that service would take a look at when West Ham are at home and plan accordingly. But every time I go they don’t send enough trains often enough. No matter what day and time the kick off is. More often than not I have to wait 30 minutes for a train to show up and the platforms, let alone trains are jam packed by then. They stupidly don’t send big enough trains. Instead of 12 carriages at best you get 8. I’ve even jumped, or should I say ‘squeezed’ onto a FOUR carriage train coming back from a 15:00 KO game! :? And don’t get me started with how they get the fans on the platforms in the first place! You have to walk up one narrow stairway! The service is utterly abysmal and almost off putting enough to make you not want to go!

Phew, I am off for a lie-down!

Northbank Bar
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Northbank Bar » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:13 pm

Sutts.If you can walk from Stratford station in 11 minutes I must say you are a better man than me.

LittleChris

Post by LittleChris » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:21 pm

I've found the best way from Stratford Station is to turn left into the shopping centre, walk straight ahead to car park B & take the lift to ground level. Exit turning right then left past The Cow and straight to the stadium. Probably 10 mins at a fast trot ( then25 mins to get through security and a further 10 through the turnstiles :grin: )

Doc H Ball
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Doc H Ball » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:24 pm

Isn’t the answer in most cases to avoid Stratford at all costs?

The Greenway is open all the way through now.

I walk from various places but then that’s dependant on the weather and being able to.

RichieRiv
Has liked: 75 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by RichieRiv » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:47 pm

For the first 2 seasons, Network Rail in conjunction with Greater Anglia in their infinite wisdom decided to undertake works whenever we were at home. The following weekend when we would be away, they would run a full service. So for those first 2 seasons, it was a case of driving (which would mean at least an hour to get out of the car park) or going to Laindon, West Hordon or Upminster and using the same route I had used for years to get to UP.

On the odd occasion, they were running GA loved to put on short formed trains, meaning you couldn't get on them. Thankfully this season it has been slightly better with new longer trains and more of them.

goa127
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by goa127 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:04 pm

Northbank Bar wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:13 pm
Sutts.If you can walk from Stratford station in 11 minutes I must say you are a better man than me.
I'm 70 and do it easily in 12. It normally takes longer because of security. When I was late one day I got there in 10 (very puffed)I normally aim to get to stratford 30 mins beforehand, take a steady stroll up to security and get in 5-10 minutes before K.O

Essexmaniac
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Essexmaniac » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:29 pm

Boxing Day there's no national rail service. In the past some of us have flown down from the north for Boxing Day games.
Fans wanted a home game on Boxing Day and moaning now we have have one. Tomorrow there's engineering on the east coast line, diversions an hour extra each way to make it a six hour round trip. There's ways to avoid the hassle at Stratford station, just needs a big of common sense, that's all.

Pentonville

Post by Pentonville » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:41 pm

There definitely appear to be serious travel issues if coming from the Essex into Stratford, and always has as been since we moved to the OS. But, if like me you are coming from North London, the difference in travelling time and service from going compared to going to, and getting away from, Upton Park station is huge. It takes me 12 mins from Highbury to Hackney Wick on the Overground, and a 5 min walk to the ground. Unfortunately, that’s where all the problems start. Queuing to get onto the island for ‘security checks’ (in single inverted commas for a good reason’, then waiting again in the queue to get into one of the gates, and trying to get past queues into other gates to get to mine.

RichieRiv
Has liked: 75 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by RichieRiv » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:47 pm

Essexmaniac wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:29 pm
Fans wanted a home game on Boxing Day and moaning now we have one.
Appears that way doesn't it.

The thing is there hasn't been national rail services on Boxing Day for donkeys, so it's always been a ballache if you don't live on a tube line.

Oldun
Has liked: 4 likes

Post by Oldun » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:53 pm

Essexmaniac wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:29 pm
Boxing Day there's no national rail service. In the past some of us have flown down from the north for Boxing Day games.
Fans wanted a home game on Boxing Day and moaning now we have have one.
I have never wanted one because of the problems travelling to games ,it was alright when I lived around the corner and could walk to the ground.

BigFatSam
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by BigFatSam » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:17 pm

They're not world class but in fairness i'd say they're by far the best in the country for any football club.
Last edited by BigFatSam on Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.