EL: West Ham Utd 0-1 Dinamo Zagreb (9/12/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Dinamo Zagreb: match thread

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

No one in the back four looked out of their depth. Superb to see the Potts Dynasty continue. Massive credit to them all.

Some of those lads were still in nappies the last time Nobes beat the first defender from a corner.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

The winner from tonight’s game: David Sullivan, as he won’t have to spend any money on another left back if Longelo can produce a performance as good as that in the Premier League next.

The loser from tonight’s game: Ryan Fredericks. Not only has he fallen behind both Coufal and Johnson. But from what I saw of Ashby he more than has the potential to go on and really compete with the rest of our first choice fullbacks.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

The kids did great. I think the senior players were the weaker links tonight (as in Yarmy, Vlasic and Kral who did a lot of running around but not a lot else) but all in all the lads did good. Looking forward to seeing more of them again in the future.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Scary to think how young Declan is still and some of these kids are 4/5 years younger. We've got a promising bunch here.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Vlasic will come good, I’m sure. It’s difficult when you’re in and out and only playing a few minutes at the end of a game. He needs a season, or at least a really good run of games, before he’s judged.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Just got back from the game.

I certainly wouldn’t say it was a game to remember. Our young kids did pretty well but we didn’t really lay a glove on them.

Perkins didn’t offer too much but then you remember he is only 17. He has still got four years development before he is at a typical age to break into the first team.

The left back was our best player, by far the most accomplished of the kids. He looks a talent.

Noble and Yarmolenko were woeful.
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

Tonight's performance just highlights how good the likes of RIce Bowen and Soucek are.
I know the young lads have been ok tonight. But I'm so pleased we have a very decent first team squad.

Things are looking very good for the present and the future
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

Tonight's performance just highlights how good the likes of RIce Bowen and Soucek are.
I know the young lads have been ok tonight. But I'm so pleased we have a very decent first team squad.

Things are looking very good for the present and the future
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Alese and Baptiste did fine tonight, but they didn't make me feel like we don't need to find a CB in January. Great experience for them tonight but it's a big jump up to playing in the league.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:08 pm I keep reading this, but Benrahma was good in his first year, just made bad decisions and tried too much. It's the opposite from Vlasic, he doesn't try anything.
I take your point but Vlasic needs to be braver, he looks to be lacking confidence. Whereas Benny was a bit of a show pony with no end product. The similarity for me is you can tell both have potential (I do think Vlasic looks tidy) but neither were/are actively contributing.

Maybe a hybrid of Benny and Fornals would be a better comparison.
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

Weird atmosphere and so strange to be at a game where the result doesn’t matter.

I thought the back four played well, especially the full backs. Perkins didn’t show much (and seemed to be getting bullied a bit) but he had sod all to work with because of the lack of support. Yarmo should hang his head in shame.

Kral was largely meh - was hoping to see a bit more hustle and bustle from him at least. Vlasic is one of those players who I really want to see do well but it somehow isn’t quite happening. Would like to see him in the number 10 role and thought tonight was the ideal opportunity.

Benny when he came on at least was trying to make things happen.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

If we allow reality to rear its ugly head for one moment, we had one first team player on the pitch: Fornals in the first half and Benrahma in the second. Yet we only lost by an Arthuresque goal.

That said, I'd agree that the player that's somewhere inside Vlasic screaming to get out, well, needs to get out and both Yarmo and Noble look exactly what they are: blokes at the arse end of their careers. Arguably the only 'first teams squad' player who looks decent is Kral. He didn't do much wrong but, he has got an enormous nose.

As for the youngsters, Perkins didn't look great but, he didn't have (pick any three from) Lanzini, Fornals, Benrahma and Bowen behind him. All four of the defenders did well. The full-backs were very good and the centre-backs didn't have much to do.

All in all, you can't complain.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

S-H wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:05 pm Vlasic deserves a season, before we write him off, surely?

Just look at Benrahma this season, compared to last.

Some players take longer than others to settle, so let's give him time.
Yes and I've said similar before but he didn't really show anything tonight to suggest he's ever going to break into the first team in front of Benrahma, Fornals, Lanzini, Bowen....

If anything, he looked better a while back than he does now. Still time for him to come good of course.

Yarmalenko to me played like a player that knows he is already on his way out of the club. It's a shame because he clearly has ability but it just has not worked out.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

World of difference these days I think for a 10 playing in between Rice and Antonio and one playing between Noble and Yarmolenko.

It's also why judging the kids is hard. Put just one of them in with 10 seniors and it's a bit easier in many respects than being one of five kids against a team that reached the last 8 of the Europa last year.

You have to try to stick to basics when judging them - what's their control like, their pace, their physical strength, their positional awareness etc?

TBF, I felt they generally looked very sound in possession.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mayday
Has liked: 134 likes
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Mayday »

Zagreb scored a fluke goal. Other than that it was a 0-0 draw against a bunch of kids and predominately 2nd teamers.
I don't think that's much for Zagreb to be proud about, we certainly wouldn't.
We were OK. The youngsters were mostly good but all made a few errors, as is expected, but they all done well overall. The future looks bright.
A bit dissapointed with Vlasic, I wanted him to show what he can do. He will, give him time, mark my words.
We would have smashed this lot to death with our first team, and I think that is what is difficult for some to understand - the quality gulf between is vast.
Last edited by Mayday on Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

S-H wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:05 pm Vlasic deserves a season, before we write him off, surely?

Just look at Benrahma this season, compared to last.

Some players take longer than others to settle, so let's give him time.
I agree. And I think Vlasic needs to take a page from Benny's book. Benrahma clearly put in a lot of work in the offseason to improve his fitness, and especially his upper body strength. Vlasic is fine with upper body strength, but he needs to change his leg and foot speed. He can't beat his marker when he has the ball. He can't create space to cross the ball. He simply doesn't fool defenders. An attacking midfielder has to be able to do those things. I don't know if if physiologically he can improve, but if he can't he'll never get any better.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

I thought Ashby and Longello did well especially going forward.
Back four did pretty well as a unit.
Karl did a decent job at breaking things up in midfield, but we didn't create enough. Which is not really surprising given the line up and the fact they scored so early.
The young lads can be proud of themselves, none of them let themselves down.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it was off-topic. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Has liked: 4368 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by Sticky »

Karl with the enormous nose?