EL: West Ham Utd 0-1 Dinamo Zagreb (9/12/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Dinamo Zagreb: match thread

Post by r99c »

Our youngsters did well and can be proud of themselves.

Disappointing performances from Yarmo (strange as he played well the last time I saw him) and Vlasic were a shame to see as you'd hope they would be busting a gut to be considered for the first time.

Other than that, I really don't think you can take much out of this game whatsoever. Very much a get it out the way job and roll on Burnley.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

Eggchaser wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:33 pm I thought Ashby and Longello did well especially going forward.
Back four did pretty well as a unit.
Kral did a decent job at breaking things up in midfield, but we didn't create enough. Which is not really surprising given the line up and the fact they scored so early.
The young lads can be proud of themselves, none of them let themselves down.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

Sticky wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:36 pm Karl with the enormous nose?
Bloody spell check.
I did well with editing my post too, managed to quote myself instead :rofl:
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Minutes for the fringe players, experience for the youngsters, no nightmare debuts and no injuries. Job done. We move onto Sunday.

Irons.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

stu1 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:20 pm I take your point but Vlasic needs to be braver, he looks to be lacking confidence. Whereas Benny was a bit of a show pony with no end product. The similarity for me is you can tell both have potential (I do think Vlasic looks tidy) but neither were/are actively contributing.

Maybe a hybrid of Benny and Fornals would be a better comparison.
He looks technically ok, but Longelo was more of a threat than him tonight. I've said this many times now, but he's the 4th most expensive player in our history. He looks exactly how Anderson looked in the end, but runs a bit more. Safe passes, doesn't make anything happen, trots around. I watched him for Croatia when we signed him and he's exactly the same. A nothing player.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:41 pm He looks technically ok, but Longelo was more of a threat than him tonight. I've said this many times now, but he's the 4th most expensive player in our history. He looks exactly how Anderson looked in the end, but runs a bit more. Safe passes, doesn't make anything happen, trots around. I watched him for Croatia when we signed him and he's exactly the same. A nothing player.
Moyes hasn’t got many signings wrong since he’s been with us and although he’s not firing on all cylinders right now, I still trust that he’s got this one right and he will come good at some point.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:41 pm He looks technically ok, but Longelo was more of a threat than him tonight. I've said this many times now, but he's the 4th most expensive player in our history. He looks exactly how Anderson looked in the end, but runs a bit more. Safe passes, doesn't make anything happen, trots around. I watched him for Croatia when we signed him and he's exactly the same. A nothing player.
I can’t claim to have seen him before we signed him and I do agree we seem to have played a lot for someone who isn’t showing a huge amount.

I would like to see him playing more minutes with our full team though. When our front 6 includes Yarmy, Nobles, Kral and a 17 year old it’s difficult to judge him.

He did have a good record in Russia with both goals and assists, so I’d hope he has something about him but just needs time to adapt.
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

I'm definitely not as down on Vlasic as most seem to be, he clearly has a lot of quality, I don't see any reason he can't settle into being a decent player for us.

Not surprised to see our under 23s are top of the league. Baptiste is the one I'm most excited about, I've heard good things, I know he's involved with the England set up. All five of the young starters are London boys, which is great to see too.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Let's hope he comes good

A friendly match fir us .

Longello the MOTM fir me.
mattjp
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by mattjp »

Thought Longelo was exceptional. I’d never seen him play before, but the way he was always looking to do something positive every time he received the ball was great.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

stu1

completely agree. difficult to judge but his technique is very good imvho.

having Yarmo on today's showing and Perkins ahead of you didn't bode well for movement off the ball so imvho his options were very limited indeed.

it also looked like Noble and Kral were instructed to sit as deep as possible to protect the youngsters. at least that's how I saw it.

without Rice we had no one pushing on running with the ball. and without Yarmo and Perkins running around and pulling defenders out of position, it was very easy for the Zagreb defenders to sit deep and take away all of the passing lanes with ease.

bit like what we do to most teams when we play with our first XI - sit deep break up the play, but they didn't offer the complete counter that we do, but did from time to time. after they scored they were even more in a shell and protecting what would get them into the next round.

as I say just mvho and based on nothing other than what I thought I saw on the telly.
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

Ashby and Longelo excellent, both centre backs would benefit from Dawson or another recognised centre back alongside them, disappointed with the regular first team players, thought they should have done more.
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:57 pm stu1

completely agree. difficult to judge but his technique is very good imvho.

having Yarmo on today's showing and Perkins ahead of you didn't bode well for movement off the ball so imvho his options were very limited indeed.

it also looked like Noble and Kral were instructed to sit as deep as possible to protect the youngsters. at least that's how I saw it.

without Rice we had no one pushing on running with the ball. and without Yarmo and Perkins running around and pulling defenders out of position, it was very easy for the Zagreb defenders to sit deep and take away all of the passing lanes with ease.

bit like what we do to most teams when we play with our first XI - sit deep break up the play, but they didn't offer the complete counter that we do, but did from time to time. after they scored they were even more in a shell and protecting what would get them into the next round.

as I say just mvho and based on nothing other than what I thought I saw on the telly.
Looked about the same in the stadium, Cuenca
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Good to see the youngsters given some valuable experience. Pick of the bunch were the 2 full backs.

Want to see Vlasic do well but it's still not happening for him.

Benrahma came on and showed why he lost his place to Lanzini - crap

Yarmo and Noble running in treacle.

Kral was busy and doing the running of 2 men, my MOTM.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Anyone come across any photos of the group shot of the youngsters just after the match ended?
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:26 pm Anyone come across any photos of the group shot of the youngsters just after the match ended?
Off the TV - I'm sure the actual photo will be somewhere soon:

This one's good, them with Nobes

and

Ticker Boyce
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by Ticker Boyce »

Just got back from the game, Longelo was excellent, defended well and very positive and creative going forward, the best of the youngsters. Yarmo looked disinterested, Kral did some decent interceptions but gave the ball away too much, not convinced by him.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Just in. Atmosphere in the stadium defo felt like a friendly.

Think all the youngsters can feel very proud - each of them showed they’ve got something by playing themselves out of trouble, covering for each other, showing good touches and reading the game. I think anyone of them could feasibly be in the first team if they carry on improving. If I had one criticism it’s that they could all do with bulking up and being more physical. I think they all lost a couple of duels through that lack of weight or know-how of using your frame. Could see a few championship teams being keen to loan them in January - especially Longelo and Ashby. It’s a bit tougher for CB’s.

Areola made a couple of good saves, solid claims and one solid punch.

That’s about all the good stuff……

Yarmo was dog rubbish, Vlasic is tidy but seemed to get less involved the longer the game went on, Kral routinely made a great challenge to get the ball and then preceded to give it away with his next touch. And can someone please tell Mark Noble that he may be a legend but can he please never take corners ever again.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Stood and applauded their goal. What a peach.

Baptiste looked the most assured of the kids. Longelo got better as Ashby got worse (think booting the corner flag knocked him). Perkins was disappointing, well as disappointing as a seventeen year old with no expectation on his shoulders can be.

All in all, felt like a friendly. To be honest I used tonight as an excuse to see my mates and have a few beers with my dad. The game probably past me by.

Other than Kral. He didn’t. My god he was terrible.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Everyone was worried that throwing too many youngsters on would be akin to hanging them out to dry. Ironically it was the senior players who let the youngsters down instead I feel.

They must look at some of their senior colleagues and wonder what's so special about them.