EL: West Ham Utd 0-1 Dinamo Zagreb (9/12/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Dinamo Zagreb: match thread

Post by S-H »

Sloop John B wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:43 am Think the embarrassment maybe hurt more...
Naturally..

:D
Ilford Paolo
Has liked: 406 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Ilford Paolo »

Watched live from the BML and it was a very dull match .As others have said it had the atmosphere of the friendly and it didn't feel to me like we cared about getting a win , or at least a draw .I think some of the criticism of Yarmo is unfair as watching from 148 he seemed to be the one trying to make things happen, especially in the second half.Benny livened things up at times but still doesn't seem to understand it is a team game.
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

Great outing for the young players, thought they did well. Happy with the way that played out, no injuries and giving the kids a chance

Couple of more senior players didn't really cover themselves in glory but in truth they were also playing with team mates they were unfamiliar with.

If anyone was expecting an exhibition of free flowing wonderful football I'd love to know why, given our restrictions on injuries and other commitments.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Overchuffed that all of the players usually resting during the weekend were given minutes.
Even better to see so many you kids given minutes in a competitive game, and a European cup game to boot.
It made my day
Combs
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Combs »

From the BBC:

An inexperienced defence conceded after only three minutes when they backed off Mislav Orsic following a throw-in and he curled the ball into the top corner from the edge of the penalty area.

That's a bit harsh because from what I saw, Ashby was marking the thrower and Kral watches Yarmo stand off Orsic before Fornals realises and tries a last ditch tackle.
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

WestSam wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:33 am Yeah, I have just seen it, wow! And he meant it too :winker:

If the full strength team was out, that same shot is going in.
Watch closely, it was deflected off Fornals. Just as flukey as Arthur's.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Comer wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:02 am From the BBC:

An inexperienced defence conceded after only three minutes when they backed off Mislav Orsic following a throw-in and he curled the ball into the top corner from the edge of the penalty area.

That's a bit harsh because from what I saw, Ashby was marking the thrower and Kral watches Yarmo stand off Orsic before Fornals realises and tries a last ditch tackle.
Yep. Yarmolenko was to blame for their goal. Summed his night up really.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

stu1 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:32 pm I think we are becoming rather arrogant if we don't think a team that got to the last 16 of the Europa last season wouldn't likely run ragged our U23's defence. The first team are doing well but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Told you there was nothing to worry about Stu. West Ham are massive... believe the hype!

Nice to get a good look at a few of the youngsters last night, shame the game seemed to attract an unusually high level of clueless dickheads though. Top prize has to go to the 'kid' a few rows behind me who stated, 'typical isn't it, we've been quality all season and the one game I come to, we are crap'.

Thought the boys looked assured and confident. Longello looks to have bags of talent. Ashby looked as though he was the 'most ready' of all of them. Very hard to judge the CBs as they were not given a great deal to do and it was a tough night for Perkins. Easy to forget we were up against the Croatia champions last night with 7 youngsters on the pitch as we absolutely held our own.

No issue at all with the result, Moyes got it spot on. I felt we could have pinched one, we were good for it but didn't really threaten enough.

All in all, a proud night for the academy.

On to the negatives, Yarmolenko was very disappointing. His attitude stank. I appreciate it must be hard as the captain and talisman of your nation to be told to play in dead rubber games with a load of kids, but when you are being paid 100k a week for it, you really should put a bit more of a shift in. At least Vlasic tried. Noble was fine but clearly needs a Rice or Soucek in there with him, jury still out on Kral, felt he could have been a lot better on the ball.
Last edited by sutts07 on Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

It was all about the kids.......and they did great.

They all look proper footballers. Experience in the bank.

Well played West Ham United Football Club.

You would be disappointed if one or two of them (at least) don't "properly" make it. ... :newthumb:
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1161 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Still through to the last sixteen.
No red cards.
No new injuries.
First eleven all rested.
Found out some positives regarding the academy.
Remember where Johnson was just before his debut v man city, and I think you’ll find contemporary comparisons with current prospects.

It’s great to be a Hammer!
👍🇨🇿
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Comer wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:02 am From the BBC:

I think that's just lazy, they're not top 4/6, type reporting. As you said, Orsic is Yarmo's man; that's not the "inexperienced" back 4's fault. From what I saw from the replays of the first half(I missed most of it because of work) and watching the whole of the second half, all the youngsters had a decent game.
Caribiron
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Caribiron »

Not a great game but the kids did alright. The pick of the performances for me being Longello and Alese. Really appreciated the generosity of the crowd towards the youngsters as well. The only downside was the performance of Yarmolenko.

I always knew that under Allardyce we'd turn on him once ugly winning football became ugly losing football. The same is true of Yarmolenko. We've tolerated average performances because every now and then he's scored screamers at important moments, now he's just stinking the place out and not scoring.

I watched his interaction with Perkins last night as he was playing closest to him. I may be wrong but was hoping to see plenty of encouragement and support...a quiet word here or there from the 100+ time capped international as he helped the raw 17 Yr old make his full home debut. All I could see was lots of arm waving like a petulant school kid and what looked like an unfit player giving little or no support to Perkins.

If that was Yarmolenko putting himself in the shop window for a Jan move...we're ****ed.

:crest:
EastVillageHammer
Has liked: 3156 likes
Total likes: 2514 likes

Post by EastVillageHammer »

I’d just echo what everyone said here. It was a dull game but the enjoyment came from seeing a load of young lads make their debuts against a team of men who finished top of their league last year. Sure, it’s the Croatian league, but we played teenagers against them…

Longello at LB looked fantastic, full of drive and invention and plenty of pace. I’d like him to get a loan or be on the first XI bench and get the odd sun appearance.

Ashby at RB looks very handy and I’d have no issue with seeing him starting in the Prem if injury dictated that’s a necessity. A loan to a good Championship club for half a season would do him the world of good.

Our CBs looked very comfortable, although I was more impressed with the more imposing guy on the left side of CB. He seemed to clear everything up.

Perkins struggled up front by himself, and if he’s to stay around the first team I’d keep him in the LW/RW areas Bowen etc inhabit until he bulks up. He has a good touch but was physically bullied.

Kral I thought did ok, considering he was trying to do all of the running in central midfield by himself. He gave the ball away a few times but got the impression he was playing slightly more expansively than his comfort zone allows.

Nones corner. Made me chuckle.

Fornals was full of energy.

Benrahma still doesn’t convince me I’m afraid. I want him to do well but he seems to be 85% of a good player. Final balls, shots etc always lacking. Maybe I’m being overly critical.

Yarmo is a busted flush. He’s just not capable at playing at pace. I’ve enjoyed the odd moment of his as technically he is fantastic and his flicks and tricks can be fun to watch, but we suffer from having him taking up a spot. A shame as he looks a decent character, but it’s time to go.

Areola, performed well and had no chance for their goal. I wonder how long he’ll be happy to be an understudy…
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

I must admit, I came away from the game a tad disappointed. Alese and Longelo looked the pick of the bunch but I saw no-one I thought would break into the team anytime soon. We looked powderpuff from midfield forward. Vlasic needs to throw off the mental shackles and start adding effect to his endeavours. Kral is a good pick-pocket but his distribution is not good enough for Premiership football. The first team now need to come back with 3 points on Sunday, no ifs or buts.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I loved the way Mark was playing deep and finding the kids with a perfect pass "C'mon lad,show us what you can do"
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

sutts07 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:25 am Told you there was nothing to worry about Stu. West Ham are massive... believe the hype!
:grin:

Tbf they did well and turned out to be the right decision to play them.

That being said how the hell did Tottenham lose to Dynamo Zagreb over two legs, apart from their goal scorer (who might be worth a look at?) they offered nothing of any real quality.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

stu1 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:33 am how the hell did Tottenham lose to Dynamo Zagreb over two legs, apart from their goal scorer (who might be worth a look at?) they offered nothing of any real quality.
That is an easy one... Tottenham are s**t.
They have been living a lie for a few years and are now being found out.

Don't give Son space, restrict balls into Kane, beat Spurs.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

The big difference between this game and the Forest Fiasco, was that in this game there was none of the youngsters I looked at and thought "you're definitely never going to make the team" - Perkins obviously has the furthest to go, but I wouldn't be concerned about Longello or Ashby having to have a stint in the team as wing back in a 451, or maybe even in front of a back 3; or Alese playing occasionally with one of the main CBs; Baptiste looks like he needs to bulk up a bit before that, but then he's that much younger.
IronRhino
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by IronRhino »

Having fielded a much weaker side (for all the right reasons) I am really pleased the result didn't impact on who was the runner up. It would have been really tough on Genk had they won.

Great to see the young lads getting a run out and enjoying celebrating with their families and mates
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

Standing in the BML I could really only judge the back four on the first half but whoever was 42 was the stand-out player. I wouldn't be concerned if he started for the first team as a left sided CH.

People seemed not to notice Yarmalenko continually supporting the right back. I think he did ok but people had decided before hand that he'd be the one to criticise.

With the team we put out, a narrow 1-0 loss to a sensational strike was not so bad.