Russian invasion of Ukraine

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 619 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Re: Russian invasion of Ukraine

Post by vietnammer »

ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Had to laugh at this below, isn't that exactly what they did to Ukraine,.... twice now.

Russia's former president has warned there could be "a World War Three" if any NATO country encroaches on Crimea.

Dmitry Medvedev said any encroachment on the peninsular could amount to a declaration of war on Russia.

Speaking to news website Argumenty iFakty, he said: "For us, Crimea is a part of Russia. And that means forever.

"Any attempt to encroach on Crimea is a declaration of war against our country.

"And if this is done by a NATO member state, this means conflict with the entire North Atlantic alliance; a World War Three. A complete catastrophe."
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Looks like NATO is expanding...

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

MB wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:29 pm Looks like NATO is expanding...
Clearly they are provoking Putin here, it is disgusting.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I watched BBC News earlier where they interviewed (I think) a/the Ukrainian defence minister. He was asked when he thought the war would end. "When Putin dies, either by us or the Russian people."

On the face of it whacking Puting seems an attractive proposition, but I have no doubt whatsoever that if it happened, leaders the world over will need food tasters for the foreseeable.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:46 pm I watched BBC News earlier where they interviewed (I think) a/the Ukrainian defence minister. He was asked when he thought the war would end. "When Putin dies, either by us or the Russian people."

On the face of it whacking Puting seems an attractive proposition, but I have no doubt whatsoever that if it happened, leaders the world over will need food tasters for the foreseeable.
What replaces him could also be worse.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2191 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Just watched C4 news interview Russian ambassador to UK. Maybe I’m missing something but what is the actual point of that interview? Loads of denial about what happened with the shopping mall attack and blaming Ukraine for destroying Mariupol etc etc.

Just not seeing what it actually achieved? More likely to jut stir up apologists for the invasion IMO
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Russia driven/withdraws from Snake Island
Ukraine confirms Russian withdrawal from Snake Island

Ukrainian officials have also confirmed that Russian forces have withdrawn from Snake Island, a strategic outpost in the Black Sea.
The head of President Zelensky's office, Andriy Yermak, said: "KABOOM! No Russian troops on the Snake Island anymore.
"Our armed forces did a great job," he wrote on Twitter.

Or

Russia withdraws troops from Snake Island

The Russian Defence Ministry says it has withdrawn its forces from Snake Island, which became a focus of attention in the first few days of the war when a small group of Ukrainian soldiers defending the island were heard in audio recordings telling a Russian warship to "go to hell".
"As a goodwill gesture, Russian troops have today completed the performance of tasks on Snake Island and withdrawn the garrison stationed there," the ministry said.

From the start of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, Snake Island was given a vital and almost mythical status in the war.

An unremarkable, rocky outcrop in the Black Sea, it was previously seized by Russia. Now Ukraine has regained control of it.

Snake or Zmiinyi Island is a fraction of a square kilometre and there are no snakes to speak of, but its fate is a major element of the war.

"If Russian troops succeed in occupying Snake Island and set up their long-range air-defence systems, they will control the sea, land and air in the north-west part of the Black Sea and in the south of Ukraine," Ukrainian military expert Oleh Zhdanov told the BBC back in May.

Historically, Snake Island was Romanian territory until it was ceded in 1948 to the Soviet Union, which used it as a radar base.

There have been electronic intelligence gathering aircraft holding station as near as they can get to Snake Island for just about every day of the war. It matters.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Formula One has sought to distance itself from remarks made by its former chief executive, Bernie Ecclestone, who said he would “take a bullet” for the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, whom he described as “a first-class person”.

Ecclestone, who reportedly has been friends with Putin since the introduction of the Russian Grand Prix in 2014, said Russia’s invasion of Ukraine could have been avoided if the latter’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, had done more.

Asked on ITV’s Good Morning Britain if he still regards Putin as a friend, the 91-year-old billionaire said:

I’d still take a bullet for him. I’d rather it didn’t hurt, but if it does I’d still take a bullet, because he’s a first-class person. What he’s doing is something that he believed was the right thing he was doing for Russia.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

EvilC wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:11 pm
He went on to say Hamilton should brush off racist remarks. Said they probably dont mean the same in Brazil.

He likened the racist comments to being called small (like him) or overweight (like me).

Now I have been called a fat, ginger so and so many times and I suppose its mean but that has nothing to do with the abhorrence of race hate. One day some of these old prejudices will die with the people who say it.

As for his friendship with Putin it just shows that people will not believe with their own eyes what they see. World might as well be flat for people like him.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

It is always hard to tell with Ecclestone whether it is his age and some sort of senility or him just being the same vicious **** he always was.
MB

Post by MB »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:42 am There have been electronic intelligence gathering aircraft holding station as near as they can get to Snake Island for just about every day of the war. It matters.
There have been regular stories of attacks on Snake Island so probably became more trouble than it was worth.

Not sure you can believe either sides version on this as both are playing to their respective audience.
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

Bernie Ecclestone wants to take a bullet for Putin, if he stands close enough to him he might get his wish
MB

Post by MB »

ageing hammer wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:19 pm Bernie Ecclestone wants to take a bullet for Putin, if he stands close enough to him he might get his wish
Just need to make sure it has enough velocity. Two berks with one shot.
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

MB wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:35 pm Just need to make sure it has enough velocity. Two berks with one shot.
Shoot while they are kissing then
MB

Post by MB »

Ukrainian forces have withdrawn from Lysychansk. Looks like it has happened quickly and will be interesting to see where the front stabilises.

They just cannot deal with the massed Russian artillery currently, but still reports of heavy Russian casualties.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

MB wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:01 pm Ukrainian forces have withdrawn from Lysychansk. Looks like it has happened quickly and will be interesting to see where the front stabilises.

They just cannot deal with the massed Russian artillery currently, but still reports of heavy Russian casualties.
You could tell the tide was turning when it started to get buried in the back pages!
MB

Post by MB »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:58 pm You could tell the tide was turning when it started to get buried in the back pages!
Tide turning? Russia are making tiny gains compared to what they did when the invasion started.

They have basically had to focus nearly all of their available troops to take .2% of Ukraine. They have also suffered significant casualties to do so.

Way too early to call this one and all conflicts leave the front pages fairly sharpish when we are not (directly) involved.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:58 pm You could tell the tide was turning when it started to get buried in the back pages!
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 942 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

MB wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:01 pm Ukrainian forces have withdrawn from Lysychansk. Looks like it has happened quickly and will be interesting to see where the front stabilises.

I did read somewhere that Russian artillery is its best bit in relation to it's armed forces