Russian invasion of Ukraine

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2648 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Re: Russian invasion of Ukraine

Post by EvilC »

-DL- wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:03 pm Was just saying to the Mrs, what with the sanctions and this war having more of an effect on us economically, than it would appear to be having on Russia, what with gas, oil, fuel, etc all going sky-high because of it and affecting the major economies in Europe and elsewhere, could we soon start to see Western Governments start to lean on Ukraine a little to find a compromise to end the war?

Something along the lines of give up Donbass, end the war, so we can all get back to normal, the oil and gas flows again, you can export your grains and vegetable oil, and we'll admit you to The EU and help you rebuild your country.
I think we are close to this point.

I guess if you do that you have to get what is left of Ukraine into NATO and probably put troops on the border to prevent the inevitable second bite.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 798 likes
Total likes: 3009 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

EvilC wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:43 pm I think we are close to this point.

I guess if you do that you have to get what is left of Ukraine into NATO and probably put troops on the border to prevent the inevitable second bite.
This is the second bite.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

the pink palermo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:46 pm This is the second bite.
Indeed. Third/fourth/fifth.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 481 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

If the above happens, watch major split across Europe on an east/west axis.

Former soviet states would look to become serious military power houses. I'd imagine history has taught them not to trust western powers too much.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5669 likes
Total likes: 3085 likes

Post by MB »

EvilC wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:43 pm I think we are close to this point.

Hasn’t Zelenskyy said that any peace deal has to go through a referendum? I’m not convinced he’d the above over the line with the Ukrainian people unless things get a lot worse (at which point the Russians won’t accept it).

What happens when the separatists we don’t recognise but Russia does start shooting at NATO troops?
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 801 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

MB wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:16 pm Hasn’t Zelenskyy said that any peace deal has to go through a referendum? I’m not convinced he’d the above over the line with the Ukrainian people unless things get a lot worse (at which point the Russians won’t accept it).

What happens when the separatists we don’t recognise but Russia does start shooting at NATO troops?
I am getting the impression that Zelensky is enjoying his performances a little too much. Actors do tend to blur life and art and to me anyway its starting reflect that.

This may be taken out of the people of Ukraines hands if Western Europe end up on a 3 day week.
MB

Post by MB »

RichieRiv wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:33 pm I am getting the impression that Zelensky is enjoying his performances a little too much. Actors do tend to blur life and art and to me anyway its starting reflect that.

This may be taken out of the people of Ukraines hands if Western Europe end up on a 3 day week.
The opinion polls are something like 85% against a negotiated settlement.

Ends how in that scenario Richie?
MB

Post by MB »

Oh and Ze Germans finally send something heavy

EvilC

Post by EvilC »

MB wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:16 pm Hasn’t Zelenskyy said that any peace deal has to go through a referendum? I’m not convinced he’d the above over the line with the Ukrainian people unless things get a lot worse (at which point the Russians won’t accept it).

Quite possibly. If the West begins to cut off support they'll end up giving up something whether it is all or part of the country. The referendum should really be a formality at that point as they can't win a war with harsh language.

When they start shooting at NATO troops?
MB

Post by MB »

EvilC wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:00 pm Quite possibly. If the West begins to cut off support they'll end up giving up something whether it is all or part of the country. The referendum should really be a formality at that point as they can't win a war with harsh language.
You are assuming a country which has seen what they have will act rationally. Would you?

The West will need to find the tipping point of too dangerous for the Russians to keep attacking, but not dangerous enough for Ukraine to counter attack en masse.

We then have peacekeeping forces there for how long? How long has the Korean War been going on?
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

MB wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:51 pm You are assuming a country which has seen what they have will act rationally. Would you?

The West will need to find the tipping point of too dangerous for the Russians to keep attacking, but not dangerous enough for Ukraine to counter attack en masse.

We then have peacekeeping forces there for how long? How long has the Korean War been going on?
Well if they don’t have any weapons I sort of assume they’ll be rather ineffective at defending their country so the referendum doesn’t count for much.

The requirement for peacekeepers is basically a function of however mental Putin or his replacement is.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1593 likes

Post by alf git »

-DL- wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:03 pm

Something along the lines of give up Donbass, end the war, so we can all get back to normal, the oil and gas flows again, you can export your grains and vegetable oil, and we'll admit you to The EU and help you rebuild your country.
The French, Germans and Italians are already making these noises.
It has not gone down well with the ex Warsaw pact countries.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 334 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

EvilC wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:00 pm Quite possibly. If the West begins to cut off support they'll end up giving up something whether it is all or part of the country. The referendum should really be a formality at that point as they can't win a war with harsh language.

When they start shooting at NATO troops?
It might be sooner than you think ...

https://news.sky.com/story/estonia-says ... e-12638006
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 801 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

EvilC wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:57 pm Well if they don’t have any weapons I sort of assume they’ll be rather ineffective at defending their country so the referendum doesn’t count for much.

The requirement for peacekeepers is basically a function of however mental Putin or his replacement is.
Exactly that.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 798 likes
Total likes: 3009 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The issue Ukraine will soon face is we cannot produce ammunition and missiles quickly enough to supply them and maintain a credible defensive shield at home.

And by we, I mean all of the NATO countries, including the USA.

The British Army in a recent exercise that was gamed out ran out of amunition in les than 8 days. Completely out.

It's estimated that killing one Russian soidier is taking 250,000 rounds of ammunition.

The West simply lack the factories to produce the munitions.
MB

Post by MB »

It is a different war to the one we'd fight PP. That is the problem.

What do you think would have happened to that long column of Russian tanks with our airpower never mind what the yanks would bring to the party?

Same with rocket systems, artillery etc. We aren't giving Ukraine the really good stuff.

So NATO is fine, but the logistic issue of supplying Ukraine remains.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

After Lithuuania's pseudo blockade of Kaliningrad and Russia's sabre rattling, there is a Rivet Joint (JAKE11) and an Orion (HUNTER) as close as they can get to Kaliningrad without starting WW3
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 1070 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

the pink palermo wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:50 am It's estimated that killing one Russian soidier is taking 250,000 rounds of ammunition.
:shocker: Whats he made out of?
MB

Post by MB »

Looks like one region will be completely under Russian control in the not too distant future and then you imagine they will turn their attention to the other.

MoD said yesterday that the separatist forces have suffered 55% casualties (based on information published by the separatists). Brutal.and seems to tally with the idea the Russians have used them as fodder.

Probably close to the natural stalemate point do let's see what happens.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 481 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:31 pm :shocker: Whats he made out of?
Most likely at least 80% vodka.

Be a little bit like that terminator 2 guy, bullets just pass through him. Only a direct hit on his bottle of Stolichnaya will have any effect.