Russian invasion of Ukraine

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Re: Russian invasion of Ukraine

Post by Rio »

I think Stu Francis has got more credibility on this matter
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:16 pm You're on a wind-up now, surely?
In 2023 its called trolling apparently. :winker:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:16 pm You're on a wind-up now, surely?

Well , Pope Francis did say that the Ukraine War ' Was somehow provoked ' back in June of 2022 so no I'm not on a wind-up in that sense ....but my little response to Bend It may have contained smatterings of a wind up yes - but he started it . :grin: He called it naive to believe whatever the leader of the LPR said but we're to believe everything that comes from the other side - There's propaganda on both sides , we all know this .

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... ian-troops

There were reports from the Hindustani Times and images from Planet Labs of a huge explosion in the western Ukrainian city of Khmelnitsky yesterday as alleged NATO supplied ammunition was blown up by Russian missiles / drones - nothing as yet from Western media .

https://news.yahoo.com/ukraine-ammo-sto ... N9MeZopRlp
The Old Man of Storr

EvilC wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:40 pm We've now reached a stage of debate where we've arrived at "God said it". Brilliant.
Have you really lost all of your sense of humour , EC ?

Having said that it weren't me looking to Pope Francis for help the other day .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65581170

Every little helps as they say .
The Old Man of Storr

From the little I can gather from what was going in Bakhmut yesterday - an Ukrainian offensive to the north of the city was repelled by a combination of Wagner and Russian Military - another Ukrainian offensive to the south of the city at Ivanivske was rather more successful when an elite Ukrainian force met up with the Russian 9th Rifle Brigade , from what I'm reading a missile wiped out the 9th Headquarters killing at least two Russian Colonels . So , some breakthrough in the south but no movement up the north of Bakhmut .
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:13 pm Have you really lost all of your sense of humour , EC ?
Considering you are a pacifist, and find war so terrible as a concept in any circumstance, it's hard to see how you can be so glib about war and death in Ukraine, a war even you accept that Russia has been the aggressor and the invader.

8800 Ukraine civilians killed, nearly 15000 injured. Yet whenever pressed on a case of Russian atrocity, you cite the Pope, God and tell us war is a dirty business.

Hysterical stuff to have a sense of humour about. :thdn:

Seeing as you like to provide balance, do you have any figures on Russian civilian deaths in this conflict, so we can feel bad for that side as well.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:29 pm You're right , war is a nasty business .
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... estigators
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:13 pm Have you really lost all of your sense of humour , EC ?

Having said that it weren't me looking to Pope Francis for help the other day .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65581170

Every little helps as they say .
One of these three things may be the case:
1) as has been previously stated, I don’t have a sense of humour
2) I used to have one but have lost it, as you suggested
3) what you said wasn’t funny

Question for you - have you ever considered why you continually come up with links from the Indian press in your quest for truth/things that appeal to your views? I’m happy to explain if you are struggling with the answer.

So Zelenskyy met the Pope - he’s influential and he needs all the help he can get. Are you suggesting anything else? It isn’t really a surprise that you agree with the Pope as he has never found a left wing populist he doesn’t like.

Please can you reply in a straightforward fashion without any of your humour as it will make everyone’s life easier.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:23 pm Pope Francis don't do no propaganda , that you have to believe .
Edit: well covered already….Image
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:06 pm
There were reports from the Hindustani Times and images from Planet Labs of a huge explosion in the western Ukrainian city of Khmelnitsky yesterday as alleged NATO supplied ammunition was blown up by Russian missiles / drones - nothing as yet from Western media .
Plenty of social media sites reported it when it happened. A fuel depot according to those not paid in roubles and the explosion fits more with that than an ammunition depot which would have seen a lot of secondary explosions (plenty of footage online to compare and contrast). Hence not that news worthy as unless you are spreading lies.

I see the Russian bots were trying to amplify this one and link it to the earlier nonsense about depleted uranium shells.
The Old Man of Storr

EvilC wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:47 am One of these three things may be the case:
1) as has been previously stated, I don’t have a sense of humour

Please can you reply in a straightforward fashion without any of your humour as it will make everyone’s life easier.

I'll only get called Comical Ali or some such derogatory remark .

You already have your views on the subject as have the other lads who regularly post on here . Mine just happen to be different to yours but you already know this .

What's going to happen if I continue to post is I become a social pariah on here [ if it hasn't happened already ] and lose whatever friends I've made as this conflict is going to go on for years , so I suggest that you and the other lads with a similar mindset continue to discuss the war without me . I feel we'll all be happier .

Hope that was straightforward enough . :newthumb:
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:08 am I'll only get called Comical Ali or some such derogatory remark .

You already have your views on the subject as have the other lads who regularly post on here . Mine just happen to be different to yours but you already know this .

What's going to happen if I continue to post is I become a social pariah on here [ if it hasn't happened already ] and lose whatever friends I've made as this conflict is going to go on for years , so I suggest that you and the other lads with a similar mindset continue to discuss the war without me . I feel we'll all be happier .

Hope that was straightforward enough . :newthumb:
It wasn't an answer to the question, was it.

I don't think you'll become a pariah. I think people have continued to interact with you on the rest of the forum just as they did before.
MB

Post by MB »

That would be a shame Tomos as while i may not agree with a lot of what you say, i like hearing different points of view. I guess like the thread on the manager it is on us all to not get into point scoring
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

MB wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:57 am That would be a shame Tomos as while i may not agree with a lot of what you say, i like hearing different points of view.
Agree wholeheartedly.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

I agree.

I don't post much on this thread because there's already nore information than I would know.

Tomos - I believe your earlier posts on this subject were a lot fairer but easy to take out of context or pick apart. Although I am in the camp of this completely being Russia's fault/accountability or whatever, I do understand parts of your earlier posts which I personally took as certain events, hypocrisy etc. of the 'West' that made it easier for Putin to get his propaganda accepted by the Russian people (and what looks like Russian sympathisers). The friction here is how your posts come across as not just trying to give a fairer picture (which I completely understand), but denouncing Russia of being responsible by using comparisons to previous events other countries orchestrated or were involved in.

It's not a dig, as I really do enjoy your posts and the humour you put into them. :newthumb:
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

I will echo what others have said ToMoS. I don't think you will become a pariah because of your views on the Russian Ukraine War/Special operations.

If others pull you up on other threads using your views on this war, and are totally unrelated, I think others will pull them up. There are still a lot of good postings on this website and one of the reasons I come back to it. It is good to have debate and differing views. It is when people play the man rather than the ball is bad darts (how many phrases can you get in one sentence) BUT usually they are picked up quite quickly by mods/posters on here.

However, saying that, I think your opinions on the war are wrong but it is interesting to hear a differing viewpoint.

I go hear to get my daily dose of the war. Some very knowledgeable posts, IMO, on there.

https://www.pprune.org/military-aviatio ... t-2-a.html
MB

Post by MB »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:39 pm . So , some breakthrough in the south but no movement up the north of Bakhmut .
The MOD disagree Tomos. Also note how they refer to it as stabilising the line. I think people have got carried away with the Stalingrad analogy. Seems the Ukrainians only intention is to keep as many Russians tied down here as long as possible while inflicting as much damage as possible.

There was talk of the southern thrust being so successful that they could have taken twice as much ground and refused to instead settling for better defensive positions.

Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1207 likes

Post by Tenbury »

TOMOS,
You're as entitled to your view as anyone else, and you should continue to express them with your customary eloquence.

( model U-boats at bathtime, however, are bang out of order)
MB

Post by MB »

RIP Hero...

alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1564 likes

Post by alf git »

Not directly related. Interesting non the less.

Moldova to withdraw from CIS.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/17 ... bly-russia

See how this pans out.