Russian invasion of Ukraine

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2652 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Re: Russian invasion of Ukraine

Post by EvilC »

the pink palermo wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:33 pm Three words.

Bay of Pigs.
Like it is some sort of trump card. It doesn't make what is going on in Ukraine ok.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 804 likes
Total likes: 3018 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

EvilC wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:35 pm Like it is some sort of trump card. It doesn't make what is going on in Ukraine ok.
It exposes the paucity of your argument
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

the pink palermo wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:41 pm It exposes the paucity of your argument
Please explain how.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

The behaviour of the USA then is no different to Russia now.

These two states have been pushing and probing each other my entire life. Both need to wind their necks in.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

the pink palermo wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:55 pm The behaviour of the USA then is no different to Russia now.

These two states have been pushing and probing each other my entire life. Both need to wind their necks in.
And at what point did I say that the Bay of Pigs was a good thing? To save you looking, I didn't.

I'm very happy for them to wind their necks in here, a good first step would be Russia leaving a sovereign nation to its business. I read a lot about American imperialism, some posters seem curiously quiet on Russian imperialism.
delbert
Has liked: 720 likes
Total likes: 700 likes

Post by delbert »

the pink palermo wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:55 pm The behaviour of the USA then is no different to Russia now.

The Cold war was played for real albeit by proxy all over the globe, the USSR wanted to expand communist influence and the west opposed it by spreading their influence. This was carried out at a time when the old powers were withdrawing from their empires and the Soviets were keen to exploit any power vacuum, compared with some of the others we did quite well giving our empire back to it's rightful owners........
Last edited by delbert on Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5672 likes
Total likes: 3089 likes

Post by MB »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:45 amI don't think this was Russia's intention at all - they could have killed Zelensky any time since this war began , he'll be ok - anyway , Russia need him alive t sign any agreements which come at the end of all this .
https://nypost.com/2022/03/03/ukraine-p ... -attempts/

One of which ended up in several hours of gunfire on the streets of Kyiv so has been independently verified.
MB

Post by MB »

EvilC wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:11 pm I'm very happy for them to wind their necks in here, a good first step would be Russia leaving a sovereign nation to its business. I read a lot about American imperialism, some posters seem curiously quiet on Russian imperialism.
Or UK Imperialism given we basically invented the (modern) form of it.
delbert

Post by delbert »

MB wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:21 pm Or UK Imperialism given we basically invented the (modern) form of it.
For balance, it was our imperialism that help stop Napoleon, The Kaiser and Hitler from their expansionist aims in Europe.........
MB

Post by MB »

delbert wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:46 pm For balance, it was our imperialism that help stop Napoleon, The Kaiser and Hitler from their expansionist aims in Europe.........
Those are some nice cherries you picked there...
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1594 likes

Post by alf git »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:14 pm Over 15,000 people died in the Ukrainian Civil War - no one here bothered to start a thread on it , NATO certainly weren't bothered - the US actively encouraged Right Wing Killing Squads to murder and rape Ukrainians living in the Donbas - The BBC made a few documentaries about them , all conveniently forgotten now of course .
Whataboutism.

You could have started a thread about it.
MB

Post by MB »

Back to the actual conflict and sounds like we could see stalemate for a while yet. More reports of Ukraine running low on artillery ammunition while the Russians have started using Soviet era anti ship missiles as they have used up their stocks of cruise missiles and sanctions are stopping them building anymore as they cannot get the components they need.

I imagine both sides are running out of steam.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 309 likes
Total likes: 1082 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:14 pm the US actively encouraged Right Wing Killing Squads to murder and rape Ukrainians living in the Donbas - The BBC made a few documentaries about them , all conveniently forgotten now of course .
Links to back this up?
MB

Post by MB »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:09 pm Links to back this up?
I'm sure there are mate. How good is your Russian?
delbert

Post by delbert »

MB wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:53 pm Those are some nice cherries you picked there...
True though....... :smiler:
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:49 am the Russians I know seem happy under Putin
I mean seriously, why am I even engaging with such nonsense. You are Neville Chamberlain waving your bit of paper in the air.

https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/vla ... ys-1584564

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16057045

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/u ... n-critics/

be happy or be poisoned/imprisoned............
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

the pink palermo wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:33 pm Three words.

Bay of Pigs.
f*** me. How far do you want to go back in time?

Let's bring up the Crimean War or the Crusades next....
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Post by -DL- »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:14 pm no one here bothered to start a thread on it
There was a thread about it, and it has since dropped off of the board - it died out after a lot of the discussion was then continued in the flight MH17 thread, the jet-liner that was shot down by Russian backed rebels with a Russian STA missile, killing 293 people.

Of course, Russia said it wasn't them Guv and it wasn't a Russian made STA missile and said it was Ukraine that shot it down, despite fragments of the missile that were removed from the pilot and first officer's bodies conclusively proving it was a Russian Buk missile, a fact verified by a team of international observers - a missile system that the Ukrainian Government didn't have access to.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Post by -DL- »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:49 am the Russians I know seem happy under Putin
The half a dozen or so Russians we have at work to a man and woman can't stand him and are totally opposed to the war - including a chap that is a former Russian soldier that came over and claimed asylum. (and is also a man-mountain!).

It's also a little glimmer of light in humanity, that the Ukrainian drivers we also have, still sit and at the same table as our Russian ones and share jokes. They're friends, and fellow human beings.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Bend it like Repka wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:56 pm **** me. How far do you want to go back in time?

Let's bring up the Crimean War or the Crusades next....
I'm sure you are well read on American foreign policy Bendy - you are, aren't you ?

Can you tell me how it has changed in the past 70 years , if it has changed, at all.

No rush, take all day Sunday on it.