Russian invasion of Ukraine

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Re: Russian invasion of Ukraine

Post by MB »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:41 am How on earth did someone come up with the fact that depleted uranium was good against armour? What sort of link up is that? :eh:
It is very dense so punches through armour. Very low levels of radioactivity despite the scare stories from the Gulf War and very common in modern armies as the article makes clear. Just Putin playing to the cheap seats.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

Exactly, no mention of how many similar rounds his bunch have been happily firing over the last year.....
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

delbert wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:00 pm Exactly, no mention of how many similar rounds his bunch have been happily firing over the last year.....
yeah I get that, but just amazes me that someone could come up with it.

Once day at the desk - you know what we need, some depleted uranium. Its far more dense than steel - we can use it as a spear in SABOT rounds... never mind the radiation, we’ll line the tanks in lead.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

I've read post conflict studies from after the first Iraq war (Desert Storm 1, the original, and still the best IMO). One incident was an encounter between a DU round from a Challenger 1 and an Iraqi T72, I seem to recall it went along the lines of:
"the round hit on the front lower glacis plate and passed through the vehicle and engine compartment before coming out via the rear hull in a plume of pink mist as the crew evacuated the tank through the same exit hole".

Tungsten is an alternative but not as good, DU self sharpens as it goes through the armour, it also combusts, two things tungsten doesn't.....
MB

Post by MB »

It will be wasted on the tanks the Russians are now shipping to the front. They've run out of T60s and now shipping T50 variants. Suggestions they won't even stand up to armour piercing rounds from a Bradley never mind DU rounds from main battle tanks!
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Isn't there a point where a weapon becomes ovepowered for its intended use?

I mean become less effective as a result of being simply too powerful.
MB

Post by MB »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:00 pm Isn't there a point where a weapon becomes ovepowered for its intended use?

I mean become less effective as a result of being simply too powerful.
Only really from a cost perspective i suspect. A £2m surface to air missile to shoot down a £100k drone for example which could equally be done with a cheaper weapon.

As George Bush Jr said about the invasion of Afghanistan, even he could see the irony of sending a $1m missile to destroy a $10 tent just to hit a camel in the arse!
DublinDave
Has liked: 2722 likes
Total likes: 1754 likes

Post by DublinDave »

"warrant"
https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/23/europe/h ... rrant,-CNN

Excellent interview with top ICC chap re the charges against Putin & his "child minister", who herself has "adopted" a kidnapped child.
Dimension Diver
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 378 likes

Post by Dimension Diver »

I wonder what happened to the kids who were taken away for shouting “Glory to Ukraine.”

DublinDave

Post by DublinDave »

Dimension Diver wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:33 am I wonder what happened to the kids who were taken away for shouting “Glory to Ukraine.”
Truly despicable behaviour by the Russian federation, every Russian citizen should hang their heads in shame & rise up to enforce change in their country.

Children are not "spoils of war".

Makes me very angry tbh, imagine that happening to you & your kids.
I'm not a religious man but if there is a Hell, Putin deserves to go there.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

DublinDave wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:57 pm "warrant"
https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/23/europe/h ... rrant,-CNN

Excellent interview with top ICC chap re the charges against Putin & his "child minister", who herself has "adopted" a kidnapped child.

The faux-peace narrative dripping off the statement from Orban's man. But is just part of the soft-sop to Russia that is emanating from Orban led Hungary. The far-right admire this guy, and in turn, admire Putin as they like these strongmen leaders.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Speaking of kids, if they'll do this to their own kids (and parents) what will they do to Ukrainian kids?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65015289
MB

Post by MB »

Interesting piece on US volunteers, lies, infighting and fraud. Looks like there is a lack of foreign volunteers as well (no surprise to anyone who has seen combat footage!)

DublinDave

Post by DublinDave »

Well, putin Putin doing Putin stuff..

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65077687

Yer man Lukashenko definitely another one on the list...
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

How many weapons, vehicles etc can the West send to Ukraine before Russia attacks us? We have affectively been at war with Russia for a year now, haven't we?
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

jastons wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:53 pm How many weapons, vehicles etc can the West send to Ukraine before Russia attacks us? We have affectively been at war with Russia for a year now, haven't we?
Russia isn’t going to pick a fight it will lose. They’ve just picked one they can’t win in Ukraine.
MB

Post by MB »

jastons wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:53 pm How many weapons, vehicles etc can the West send to Ukraine before Russia attacks us? We have affectively been at war with Russia for a year now, haven't we?
Near enough infinite I'd imagine. Russia will not attack a NATO country, at least not directly. Even if they wanted to then they now lack the conventional means to do so. I read a few days ago that 97% of their military is now committed to Ukraine in some form or another.

Cyber attacks have been their main "payback" so far as those are easy to deny. Wouldn't shock me if Russia has something to do with the recent attacks in Syria to try and create pressure elsewhere.

We will likely see more small fires started in the hope they grow, but Russia lacks the means and influence to do much.

Reports inside Russia suggest the nuclear threat is just that and next to no chance anyone presses the button (assuming the button, the wiring and even the missiles actually exist given their recent testing failures).
MB

Post by MB »

EvilC wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:54 am Russia isn’t going to pick a fight it will lose. They’ve just picked one they can’t win in Ukraine.
A leaked report from Russian military intelligence (I know...) said they did not expect the levels of support Ukraine has received, especially from the US (assumed it was bought and paid for I guess).

Even without significant Western support they'd have struggled given that took months to arrive and Russia was already struggling. Probably the attritional approach would have been more successful by now without Western aid but yes the Russian military has been shown to be completely inadequate and that was before losing thousands of their most advanced weapon systems.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2191 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

MB wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:25 am Near enough infinite I'd imagine. Russia will not attack a NATO country, at least not directly. Even if they wanted to then they now lack the conventional means to do so. I read a few days ago that 97% of their military is now committed to Ukraine in some form or another.

Cyber attacks have been their main "payback" so far as those are easy to deny. Wouldn't shock me if Russia has something to do with the recent attacks in Syria to try and create pressure elsewhere.

We will likely see more small fires started in the hope they grow, but Russia lacks the means and influence to do much.

Reports inside Russia suggest the nuclear threat is just that and next to no chance anyone presses the button (assuming the button, the wiring and even the missiles actually exist given their recent testing failures).
Tbf even their cyber capabilities have been hit as it was mainly carried out by criminal gangs (as per our favourite pod!) and as it’s dragged on, these gangs have needed/wanted to go back to making money instead of helping the motherland.

Russia also needs to be very careful as cyber attacks have also been incorporated into Article 5…so any cyber attack on a NATO country is the same as if they’d sent troops in. And don’t forget cyber attacks can get out of control quite easily seeing how much the entire world relies on the internet….so they may look to attack some Ukrainian institution, but if they are linked to a Polish one (for example) it could quite easily spread (as they are inherently designed to do).
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Grauniad:
Ukranian media last week published a 30-minute leaked phone conversation allegedly between prominent Russian music producer Iosif Prigozhin and billionaire Farkhad Akhmedov in which the two men give a far-ranging criticism of the war in Ukraine and the Russian leadership.

Akhmedov, a former Russian senator, has been sanctioned by the west for his proximity to the Kremlin regime while Prigozhin (no relation to Wagner group founder Evgeny Prigozhin) is seen as a longtime supporter of the Kremlin.

“There’s no doubt about the fact that they ****ed up the country,” a man whose voice closely resembles that of Prigozhin’s says on the recording.

The same man also refers to Putin’s inner circle as “washed-up lowlifes” who act as if they are “gods”.

“He is Satan. Totally vacuous,” Akhmedov allegedly said of Putin.

He screwed all of us over. Everyone and everything. The entire country. The entire population, for f***’s sake.

It was not possible to independently verify the clip’s veracity,

Prigozhin on Sunday called the audio a “provocation” aimed at “creating a split” within the Russian elites. While initially calling the clip “fake news”, Prigozhin in a later reaction said that the clip contained “some real moments” from his conversation with Akhmedov

“The voice is similar to mine. But it is not clear how the call was glued together. We need to figure it out,” the producer said.

Akhmedov has not yet commented on the recording.

If confirmed genuine, the audio provides a rare insight into the mood within the Russian elites, many of whom have privately voiced their opposition towards the war.