Russian invasion of Ukraine

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

jastons
Has liked: 900 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Re: Russian invasion of Ukraine

Post by jastons »

Who will be getting the construction contracts to rebuild Ukraine?
WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3197 likes

Post by WCpete »

Maybe the greatest freudian slip in history.

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 488 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:36 am Ok , from my limited knowledge of Vladimir Putin's decision making I would say that neither Sweden nor Finland had nothing to fear from Russia , I honestly think that ......when was the last time they fell out ??
Right, that's it, I'm sticking my house on Russia to invade Sweden & Finland in the next 72 hours.

ToMoS has an uncanny sense for getting things arse around elbow where Putin is involved. :newthumb:
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

MB wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:47 pm Is it expansionism if you are taking it back? :chin:

All depends on which map you look at which brings me back to declaring war on cartographers. The root of all evil in the world.
Central Europe would be at each other constantly if 'taking it back' wasn't seen as war.... in fact everywhere would.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

We in the British Isles are fortunate that we have a nice bit of sea surrounding the "us" ethnicity and "them" ethnicity. Except for the obvious place over there of course. In Europe there is no such neat divide, and almost every country has borders that are drawn through the pockets of "ethnicity".

The idea that one nation is justified in attacking, invading or otherwise occupying another country in whole or in part in order to protect peoples that share "ethnicity" with you is 19th century nationalist thinking at best, and naked imperialism at worst.

Otherwise we'd be perfectly justified in invading Benidorm, for instance.

Actually, that's not a bad shout.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

MB wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:12 pm

Yeah I think it is time for me to leave this one. Good luck Evil

Listen , MB , I don't want to spoil your enjoyment of this thread or upset anyone else with my views , so I think it's myself who should leave this one alone , so please carry on , I've enjoyed reading your posts . :newthumb:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5673 likes
Total likes: 3095 likes

Post by MB »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:14 am Listen , MB , I don't want to spoil your enjoyment of this thread or upset anyone else with my views , so I think it's myself who should leave this one alone , so please carry on , I've enjoyed reading your posts . :newthumb:
It’s all right mate, I’ll just swerve certain bits. Oh and you may be interested/pleased to see this:

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Hy can't we get a PM like that? I'd tune in to watch her me thinks.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2659 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:14 am Listen , MB , I don't want to spoil your enjoyment of this thread or upset anyone else with my views , so I think it's myself who should leave this one alone , so please carry on , I've enjoyed reading your posts . :newthumb:
I can't see anyone being particularly upset, they just disagree with you (and in my case, think that the basis for your opinions on this subject is flawed).
The Old Man of Storr

EvilC wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:19 pm I can't see anyone being particularly upset, they just disagree with you (and in my case, think that the basis for your opinions on this subject is flawed).
Yeah , I understand - I'll still stay away though [ from this thread , not Kumb ] . :newthumb:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3496 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Brave fella.

Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:41 pm Hmmm , Russia going in to help Russian-speaking Ukrainians is hardly expansionist
Even after you Gretna Green debacle still you carry on with this nonsense.

Seriously, you are actually being an apologist for Putins "Special Mission". :thdn:
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 770 likes

Post by Billydinho »

TOMOS I’m convinced you’re just playing devils advocate because you’re far too rounded a poster to truly believe some of this nonsense.

Protecting Russian speakers? Why does a shared language permit invasion in any case?!
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

MB wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:39 am I studied Russian history for two years and one of my teachers was a Marxist
Just one ?
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1227 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Why would a teacher of Russian history be a 'Marxist'?
MB

Post by MB »

Rays Rock wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:28 pm Just one ?
Yeah the other one was a lefty just not as full blown!
MB

Post by MB »

Tenbury wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:12 am Why would a teacher of Russian history be a 'Marxist'?
She was a weird one. Left the sixth form college after teaching my year.
The Old Man of Storr

Billydinho wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:50 pm TOMOS I’m convinced you’re just playing devils advocate because you’re far too rounded a poster to truly believe some of this nonsense.

Protecting Russian speakers? Why does a shared language permit invasion in any case?!

I think there were more than one reason for this invasion / special operation - helping out the people of the Donbas would have been just one - I believe the No 1 reason was the NATO threat and by NATO I mean the US - Russia feel threatened and who can blame them , the US have placed strategic missiles in most countries which surround Russia , the Ukraine were the last straw , I think Putin feels betrayed that a country with such strong links to the old Soviet Union would want to join NATO and the EU rather than do their business with Russia - wrapped in within the No 1 reason are Ukraine's resources - the US have their eyes on them as do Russia so this is a proxy war for Ukraine's resources . What other reason could the US have to pour so much money into this war ? They want a share of those resources and they want Ukrainian cheap labour .

The ' De-militarise and De-Nazify ' reasons - hopefully , now that the Asov Battalion have all been captured this could lead to the beginnings of a withdrawal , mission accomplished kinda thing , I don't know . Putin said that his objectives are ' to liberate the Donbas ' , maybe that'll be enough , I don't know ?

It'll either end here or things are going to escalate - The West have been pouring in weapons and some have got through - those M777 Howitzers have caused the Russians damage and more will arrive - they can either mobilise more men or they can call it a day .

Some , like Bendy will say I'm rootin for Putin - well , I am sympathetic to the Russians that's for sure but I feel terribly sad for those innocent Ukrainians caught up in all this too , of course I am , none of them deserved what's happening to them just now - and it all could have been avoided .

Like The Pope , I blame NATO and The West - is the Pope a Putin apologist ??

Ok , no more , I'm done .
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1603 likes

Post by alf git »

If you honestly believe that load of old b*****s, I've got some magic beans for sale.
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

:zippy: