Russian invasion of Ukraine

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1240 likes
Total likes: 1651 likes

Re: Russian invasion of Ukraine

Post by last.caress »

Putin's got some ****ing neck on him (as well as that weirdly flat face that makes him look like an animated flan dish). He wants his Iron Curtain back; entire nations acting as a big fat buffer between NATO and Mother Russia. But he also wants to sling missiles right up against NATO's borders, so close that one or two stray over the fence. I might put an "accidental" toe over your border, mate, but you'd better not come within 200 miles of mine.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3031 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

vietnammer wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:59 am Hold your horses, says Biden
Well, he would say that wouldn't he.

It's not in America's interests to be dragged directly into this war, and certainly not via a NATO member squealing. Meanwhile, Zelensky is desperate for NATO to engage, he knows they are the bigger winners from this conflict, yet it's Ukraine's citizens whose lives are being wrecked or lost.

What this incident will facilitate though is for Biden to get further funds released from Congress to arm Ukraine to a greater extent on the basis that even if this missile does turn out to have been from Ukraine, the justification will be that the only reason it was fired was due to an act of provocation from Russia.

The West really want a negotiated settlement, fearing a long, drawn-out conflict where the losses on each side are insufficient to bring about a negotiation.

The tactic will be to arm Ukraine to the teeth to accelerate the depletion of Russian capability, then persuade Zelensky to negotiate by withdrawing future support.

The USA will not give Ukraine enough weapons top step one foot inside Russia. They want Russia weak, not desperate. The hope is the Russian people will force their own regime change.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Post by vietnammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:49 am What this incident will facilitate though is for Biden to get further funds released from Congress to arm Ukraine to a greater extent on the basis that even if this missile does turn out to have been from Ukraine, the justification will be that the only reason it was fired was due to an act of provocation from Russia.
Agree with all you say except this. If it turns out that the incident was staged by Ukraine to draw in NATO or even just Poland, think it would have a detrimental effect on support for their cause.
the pink palermo wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:49 am The West really want a negotiated settlement, fearing a long, drawn-out conflict where the losses on each side are insufficient to bring about a negotiation.
The West really want the Russians to turn inward and bin Putin
simon hammer
Has liked: 993 likes
Total likes: 748 likes

Post by simon hammer »

vietnammer wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:14 am Agree with all you say except this. If it turns out that the incident was staged by Ukraine to draw in NATO or even just Poland, think it would have a detrimental effect on support for their cause.
Which brings about the question: if it does indeed turn out that this was staged by Ukraine, then what else have they staged?

The first casualty of war is the truth.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

"Staged by Ukraine" seems to me to be a bit of a leap. It sounds as though it could just have been unintentional. And if it could have been unintentional by Ukraine, I guess it's also fair to say it could just as easily have been unintentional by Russia.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

^^^^^

Ukraine simply defending itself.

Russia chucks missiles at it near the border, deliberately, Ukraine has no choice but to try and shoot it down, and hey preston, once in a while they get it wrong.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Post by vietnammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:06 pm hey preston, once in a while they get it wrong.
Is that deliberate? (sorry)
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

I wish, I'm not that clever
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1381 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

So glad that was a non story this week

I bet the Russians thought we were about to start bombing them back.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5673 likes
Total likes: 3095 likes

Post by MB »

Excellent post PP and agree with your conclusions. The West want this done and dusted, but without escalating too far such as Ukraine boots on Russian soil. The war is already in Russia when you look at the attacks in Belgorod and I guess from their perspective Crimea as well. Even that probably makes the West twitchy.

100,000 dead on each side and no end is sight. What a waste of life. Cannot hope enough that someone sticks a couple in Putin's head sometimes soon though I understand there could be worse waiting in the wings.
ArtieTheIron
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ArtieTheIron »

Thought I'd post in case anyone remembers me and was wondering... I'm still here, haven't been drafted (not yet, anyway) because I didn't serve. The reports about people getting sent to the frontline even if they'd never been in the army had me quite a bit shaken though. Nothing much has changed otherwise. Prices went up a bit again but I'm managing despite not getting nearly as much work as I used to before all this.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Best wishes, Artie, I reckon your a victim of this ridiculous conflict too.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 770 likes

Post by Billydinho »

ArtieTheIron wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:58 am Thought I'd post in case anyone remembers me and was wondering... I'm still here, haven't been drafted (not yet, anyway) because I didn't serve. The reports about people getting sent to the frontline even if they'd never been in the army had me quite a bit shaken though. Nothing much has changed otherwise. Prices went up a bit again but I'm managing despite not getting nearly as much work as I used to before all this.
What’s the general mood among Russians, Artie? Is Putin’s propaganda working or do people just want an end to it all and disagree with it?
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 488 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Billydinho wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:26 am What’s the general mood among Russians, Artie? Is Putin’s propaganda working or do people just want an end to it all and disagree with it?
The FSB like this post. :newthumb:
ArtieTheIron
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ArtieTheIron »

Billydinho wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:26 am What’s the general mood among Russians, Artie? Is Putin’s propaganda working or do people just want an end to it all and disagree with it?
I honestly have no idea, most are probably still deceived by whatever they're being told in state media. I wouldn't expect any sort of uprising anytime soon, that's for sure... unless food prices skyrocket and/or the glorious leader snuffs it. Full mobilization might do the trick as well.
old fart
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by old fart »

the pink palermo wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:06 pm ^^^^^

Ukraine simply defending itself.

Russia chucks missiles at it near the border, deliberately, Ukraine has no choice but to try and shoot it down, and hey preston, once in a while they get it wrong.
or Boris told Zelensky to fire a couple over the border blame it on the Russians and low and behold the UK is the need of a Churchillian style leader to fight WW3
jastons
Has liked: 900 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Post by jastons »

old fart wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:28 pm or Boris told Zelensky to fire a couple over the border blame it on the Russians and low and behold the UK is the need of a Churchillian style leader to fight WW3
That's a stretch
old fart
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by old fart »

jastons wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:45 pm That's a stretch
An Alvin :crylol:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5673 likes
Total likes: 3095 likes