Russian invasion of Ukraine

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 889 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Re: Russian invasion of Ukraine

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:22 am When people who rig these election come up with such results, do they actually think that anyone actually believes them?

Farce
I saw a video showing the votes being counted. Blank ballots almost all being put immediately in the 'yes' pile without being looked at.

It's all becoming very 1984
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:42 pm War is over everyone, the people have spoken!

I can't believe I lumped on 'no'..
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:25 amI saw a video showing the votes being counted. Blank ballots almost all being put immediately in the 'yes' pile without being looked at.
Agent Orange likes this post..
Gaz
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Gaz »

Kherson is on the fence
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2652 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

EU proposes new sanctions package to ‘make Kremlin pay’
The head of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, has announced a fresh round of proposed sanctions on Russia.

The new package of Russia sanctions is designed “to make the Kremlin pay” for escalating the conflict in Ukraine through mobilisation and “sham referenda that are an illegal attempt to grab land and change international borders by force”, she said.

The proposed eighth sanctions package includes further import bans on Russian products, expected to deprive Moscow of an additional €7bn in revenues.

The EU will also extend export bans on key technology used for the military such as aviation items, electronic components and specific chemical substances. This will “weaken its capacity to modernise” Russia’s military base, she said.

The sanctions package will lay the legal basis for an oil price cap and ban EU citizens from sitting on governing bodies of Russian state-owned companies, she said.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2106 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^^Does this mean that up to today, key technology used for the military such as aviation items, electronic components and specific chemical substances aren't under sanction?
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2652 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:51 pm ^^^^Does this mean that up to today, key technology used for the military such as aviation items, electronic components and specific chemical substances aren't under sanction?
Well, evidently some stuff wasn't, but it does say "extend".
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2233 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Samba wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:28 am I can't believe I lumped on 'no'..
Made me LOL that thanks!

What I don’t understand is that ever since they announced these votes, the whole sane world has stuck a great big middle finger up….and (rightly) told them loudly it’s a load of b*llocks. Whilst I appreciate this is primarily aimed at a domestic audience, surely if they’d gone 58/42 or something….it would have at least had some kind of semblance of possible reality and devalued at least some of the noise coming from the West. But these numbers are just hilarious!
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 228 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 804 likes
Total likes: 3018 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Will there ever be a better time to invade Russia ?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 2710 likes

Post by sendô »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:40 am Will there ever be a better time to invade Russia ?
Yes, the Spring. Autumn is the absolute worst time to invade Russia, as history has shown.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

sendô wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:11 am Yes, the Spring. Autumn is the absolute worst time to invade Russia, as history has shown.
I was going to say December, I hear Russia is quite nice around that time of the year.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:40 am Will there ever be a better time to invade Russia ?
The smart thing to do would be to remove the puppet government of Chechnya. Create a little bit of chaos on their own doorstep and necessitate the need to divert resources to the Caucuses region.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

There’s allegedly “credible intelligence” that Mad Vlad is planning a nuclear attack within Ukraine create a wasteland that’ll stop the counter offensive by the Ukrainian forces.

This is a bit of a worry it true.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2179 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Billydinho wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:26 am There’s allegedly “credible intelligence” that Mad Vlad is planning a nuclear attack within Ukraine create a wasteland that’ll stop the counter offensive by the Ukrainian forces.

This is a bit of a worry it true.
Any sources for that?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

sendô wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:11 am Yes, the Spring. Autumn is the absolute worst time to invade Russia, as history has shown.
Summer isn't actually ideal. Operation Barbarossa took place in June under blazing sunshine.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 2710 likes

Post by sendô »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:46 am Summer isn't actually ideal. Operation Barbarossa took place in June under blazing sunshine.
Yes, but it wasn't the summer portion that was the issue, it was the mud in the autumn rains and then the ice in the winter that stopped the Germans, not the summer sunshine.

In fact, Barbarossa started late, and should have commenced in mid May, and was over a month late because the German diverted into the Balkans. Of course they also lost time whilst Hitler diverted panzer armies from Army Group Centre to the south to support the attack in Ukraine.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

It'd be interesting to know how the people of the Donbas regions would actually vote, if it could be done without intimidation or fear of reprisal.

My understanding is that the area was largely pro Russian, however it is hard to know which sources to trust. Also, to what degree, and whether the local opinion has changed since this invasion
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by djclipz »

Russia to formally annex four more areas of Ukraine

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63072113

The Russian president will make a major speech at the Kremlin.
If ever there was a point to see some Jason Bourne type ****...
YGNB
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by YGNB »

Even if they many were pro Russia before I think many wouldn't be now after seeing their families raped, tortured and forcible conscriped as cannon fodder into the Russia army and witnessing their cities flattened by indiscriminate Russian artillary