Burnley 0-0 West Ham Utd (12/12/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Re: ⚽ Burnley vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by r99c »

Was up literally next to the away fans yesterday in the middle and from there it looked a penalty. Just saw the replay. That's an absolute joke... particularly this weekend where every other club seemed to get given them when breathed upon by a damselfly. Farcical.

That said, Antonio came in for the most criticism up there and I have to concur unfortunately, just looks completely half arsed. Summed it up when he ended one of our attacks by putting it into row double Z. Benrahma poor first half imo but really came on strong in the second. Rice the same but even better in the 2nd to again basically controlling the game with gallivanting lung busting runs.

It wasn't a bad 0-0 and could've easily been 2-0/3-0 another day. I'm worried for Wednesday though, Rice looked knackered at the end and we're going to have either a) Masuaku or b) Cresswell playing his first game after injury in nearly 3 weeks against Arsenal's pacey widemen and a tired Rice/Antonio in the spine. Will need to be much more clinical on Wed.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

r99c wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:49 am Was up literally next to the away fans yesterday in the middle and from there it looked a penalty. Just saw the replay. That's an absolute joke... particularly this weekend where every other club seemed to get given them when breathed upon by a damselfly. Farcical.
The Man City penalty that was awarded for hitting a Wolves player in the armpit. Ronaldo conning the ref to win United a pen at bottom of the table Norwich who played the game of their lives. When is it not a stonewall pen when a player is kicked like that in the box? When you’re West Ham and that player is Craig Dawson probably, it was a shocking decision, especially for the ref to not even look at it on the pitch-side monitor.

Like every time we play Burnley, Pope think was on fire yesterday. It seems he saves his performance of the season up especially for us. We tried a few things and were knocking on the door, I thought we’d score in the second half but Burnley defended well and in numbers as per usual when we play them.

Proper ground Turf Moor, and it was a pig of a journey back, but they are a horrible team to play against. A point not too bad when considering the fixture congestion this month. Tough game on Wednesday now.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

We often seem to struggle to break this Burnley team down, and end up resorting to throwing cross after cross down the throats of their two huge centre backs and giant goalkeeper.

But we should remember this team have held Chelsea, Wolves and Leicester to draws as well. They're in the bottom three because they draw too many, not because they're easy to beat.

We just didn't get that bit of luck to put a goal away, had we, I'm sure we'd have run out comfortable winners.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Pope made 3 excellent saves yesterday, unfortunately for us, he was the difference between a draw and a routine win.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Only watched the highlights but I always think a point against Burnley at their place is a good point, that remains the same today. A lot of people talking about Pope, he is a very good keeper but I'm not sure he saved any worldies yesterday, they all appeared, to me anyways saves I would expect PL keepers to make.

We were the better side, we did seem a little wasteful at times in the final 1/3rd, on another day we win that.

Not sure how that pen wasn't given?!?!? I always look at it as if it was against us, I would have no issues with that one given.

Interesting from Moyes after the game and his interview that a few seem to be slightly below par, maybe a slight kicking/reminder to get them up for the Arsenal game.

Rice yet again, that boy is flying!
Benaloon
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by Benaloon »

Really concerned that we don't seem to have any idea how to play attacking football over the last few games. Seems like corners/free kicks are our entire gamplan for scoring. Link up and movement between the forward players is non existent and we're relying on wild shots from distance. It's one thing to be defensively solid, but we need to actually try and play as well.
OatcakeIron
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by OatcakeIron »

I shouldn’t comment when I’m p*ssed and frustrated. I’ll admit I was harsh on Antonio only putting in half a shift but he’s developing a pattern of play especially the first halves of games where as soon as he feels contact he’s going down, not getting the free kick and the ball coming straight back.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Another point away from home.
Keep this up, and we'll qualify for another stint in Europe
:newthumb:
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

OatcakeIron wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:43 am I shouldn’t comment when I’m p*ssed and frustrated. I’ll admit I was harsh on Antonio only putting in half a shift but he’s developing a pattern of play especially the first halves of games where as soon as he feels contact he’s going down, not getting the free kick and the ball coming straight back.
Pissed at 9:43am? Nice work!
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

OatcakeIron wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:43 am I shouldn’t comment when I’m p*ssed and frustrated. I’ll admit I was harsh on Antonio only putting in half a shift but he’s developing a pattern of play especially the first halves of games where as soon as he feels contact he’s going down, not getting the free kick and the ball coming straight back.
Oatcake?

You're name isn't Dave by any chance?
Last edited by S-H on Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Don't blame the players we have, blame the ones we don't.

Antonio can't do 90 vs a physical team like that, almost nobody could. Especially off the back of many difficult 90 mins with little rest.

We have no alternative to him. It held us back yesterday for sure.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Our penalty incident that so many think was a joke, it wasn't given and that a host of other clubs were awarded pens this weekend for far less. I have seen the others, but not ours. Did our player, which I believe to be Dawson do a dying Swan act ? If not, we'll then maybe, he should've and we wouldn't be debating this now
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1192 likes

Re: Burnley vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by ironilunga »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:28 am My opinion is different to some on here. Not trolling. I just don't believe that the team has progressed as massively as some on here seem to think
I personally find it difficult to reconcile the consistently negative posts about the manager & players with the current standing and performance of the team. For many, myself included, this is the best we have had it.

Enjoy it if you can 👍
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Re: Burnley vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Heysel76 »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:28 am :newthumb: Appreciated.

Don't worry. It doesn't bother me.
There are some grown men who act like 13 year olds and want forums to be a echo Chambers.

TBH i don't agree with a lot you say either & you do seem to have an agenda againsy Moyes, but that's up to you, this is a discussion board
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Benaloon wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:42 am Really concerned that we don't seem to have any idea how to play attacking football over the last few games. Seems like corners/free kicks are our entire gamplan for scoring. Link up and movement between the forward players is non existent and we're relying on wild shots from distance. It's one thing to be defensively solid, but we need to actually try and play as well.
have to say i have been feeling this too.
If we have cresswell out then we miss out on a lot of good assists and set pieces, but then we are also missing two major threats in the box in ogbonna and Zouma, so even if cresswell is back that means we've got less players to hit it to.
It's just typical west ham that at the busiest part of the season, injuries kick in and i hate to say it but don't be surprised if we get more. And as you know, we don't do short term injuries.
If rice gets injured we'll be sliding down the league quickly - as others have said, he was possibly our best Striker, Midfielder and attacker on saturday
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:03 am Our penalty incident that so many think was a joke, it wasn't given and that a host of other clubs were awarded pens this weekend for far less. I have seen the others, but not ours. Did our player, which I believe to be Dawson do a dying Swan act ? If not, we'll then maybe, he should've and we wouldn't be debating this now
Truth is we shouldn't have been relying on a penalty to win it. We didn't play well enough and certainly didn't finish well enough.
We should have won by finishing at least two chances.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Didn't think the goal chalked off against Brighton by VAR was incorrect, but don't know how it could be argued the one yesterday was anything other than a penalty. Shouldn't even need to reference the other penalties given out this weekend, if you kick the back of a player's legs it's a foul regardless of what's happened elsewhere.

That said, in principle I'd always prefer if officials took context into these decisions. In this case, a centre-back heading harmlessly away from goal being tripped by a player who was genuinely attempting to contest a ball that wasn't fully under control by the attacker shouldn't always automatically result in a free attempt at a goal. That action really didn't prevent us from scoring. But that's not the world we live in, so it should have been a penalty.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

What has riled us all , well , mostly all about the Dawson incident is the inconsistency and the bias shown to certain teams over these type of incidents -

Masuaku on Salah [ penalty ] - Rice touching Salah [ free kick leading to a goal ] - Mings on Salah [ that was never a penalty no matter what anyone says ] - Salah has become one of The Untouchables .

Rudiger gets kicked accidentally from behind - penalty . Dawson gets kicked from behind accidentally - no penalty .

Antonio and Lanzini fall over after being tackled , both get booked for diving .

Maddison's dive yesterday was so obvious , it may as well have been Tom Daley wearing a Leicester shirt - he was in the air before he was touched - Tielemans then takes charge and directs the Referee to the penalty , any decent VAR man should have had the courage to rule it out and book him for diving - Maddison is learning from the Master , Jamie Vardy - and what's so galling is both players [ including The Untouchable ] have the talent to score legitimate goals - this type of thing is being coached on the training ground , of that I am 100% sure - Klopp , Rodgers and whoever is the current manager of Manchester Utd will be sanctioning this .

Had we been awarded a penalty yesterday it would have been a hollow victory and that's not what we are about - I don't want West Ham to be managed by cheats and frauds and thankfully we aren't - I'd have liked another 3 points though , we're drifting now .

At the end of the season when the likes of Liverpool and Manchester City will be fighting it out for the title who's going to remember these incidents which make the difference between one point or three , we'll see Jurgen Klopp's smug smiling satisfied face on our screens once again and our blood pressure will rise and we'll feel angry as hell but it'll be Liverpool sitting in top or in second - will Liverpool fans care that so many of their points came from cheating , does it feel like a hollow victory to them or do they go along with the media hoohah and celebrate another League Title ?
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

kitthehammer wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:14 am Truth is we shouldn't have been relying on a penalty to win it.
The 3 teams above us and the 1 below us all needed penalties to win their games. It happens. Burnley are down the bottom, but they draw a lot and don't concede as many goals as others. Sometimes a penalty, if it's deserved, is exactly what you need against sides like this. Nothing wrong with that. Man City and Liverpool needed it at home to Wolves and Aston Villa. It's the Premier League. It's tight, it's tough. Games get settled by fine margins all the time.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Never been keen on the ‘they got a bollox decision so should we’ logic.

Everyone seems intent on races to the bottom. Cheapens things.