Burnley 0-0 West Ham Utd (12/12/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

OatcakeIron
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 16 likes

Re: ⚽ Burnley vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by OatcakeIron »

S-H wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:54 am Oatcake?

You're name isn't Dave by any chance?
Yep, you’re not my missus are you?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Burnley
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136539
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Re: Burnley vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by ironsonthebrain »

ironilunga wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:05 am I personally find it difficult to reconcile the consistently negative posts about the manager & players with the current standing and performance of the team. For many, myself included, this is the best we have had it.

Enjoy it if you can 👍
It's certainly the best we've had since leaving the Boleyn.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:47 am The opposition view: Burnley
They’re a good crowd.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Fair play to them.
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

Doc H Ball wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:18 am They’re a good crowd.
Yep, they are....

But anyone should be able to name a Rolls Royce when they see one..... :wink:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

The thing with the penalty is it needs to be viewed in context with what other clubs are being awarded, like it or not:

Man City - get a git of a penalty after the ball is blasted at a Wolves player on the side of his chest because his arm is up.
Chelsea - Rudiger gets a nick on the back of the ankle and throws himself to the floor.
Liverpool - Mo Salad does his usual trick of dangling a leg/sticking his leg into Mings so that they become entangled and cons a penalty
Man Utd - Ronaldo throws himself to the floor after the feeling the sort of arm around the striker that happens in every box in every game.

All of these games were won by one goal.

Even Leicester got a penalty for Maddison leaping in the air before a tackle had been even attempted.

If all of the above had been waved away we'd all be satisfied enough at Dawson's not being given, but as the above were given, why wasn't ours, which was as good a shout as any?
spod
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by spod »

I think our problem is we really only have one way of playing, and it's not suited for opponents like Burnley.
People have said we can play a false 9 when Antonio is out. Why didn't we try that?
We needed to unlock a well-drilled defence yesterday. A bit of finesse would surely have worked better than flat-out strength and speed, plus endless crosses and corners.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

We could have done with a Haller type yesterday.
London Fields Hammer
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by London Fields Hammer »

I was stood right behind the goal yesterday so got a first class view of all those shots flying over the bar. I wonder if it was partly because Burnley defend shots so well. If you don't aim at the top corners some defender will block the shot. So everyone over-compensated. It has to be said that all the Burnley back line were outstanding yesterday at the last-ditch stuff.
London Fields Hammer
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by London Fields Hammer »

Very fair OV.
As I walked out of the ground one old Clarets fan summed it: 'we really scraped that one'.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Doc H Ball wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:46 pm Hope you stay up as although it’s a long journey from where I am, it’s one to a proper club.
I thought the game was played in a good spirit. I hope they stay up too. They're honest underdogs.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

I have watched the penalty incident a number of times and I still see it as a penalty.
Why,because all Dawson did was to try and put his body between the defender and the ball,which all good players do so that they control the situation.
The fact the defender tried to play a ball that was blocked by Dawson was his fault,the ball was not there to be played,by taking that chance he fouled Dawson which is a penalty.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:32 am The 3 teams above us and the 1 below us all needed penalties to win their games. It happens. Burnley are down the bottom, but they draw a lot and don't concede as many goals as others. Sometimes a penalty, if it's deserved, is exactly what you need against sides like this. Nothing wrong with that. Man City and Liverpool needed it at home to Wolves and Aston Villa. It's the Premier League. It's tight, it's tough. Games get settled by fine margins all the time.
If it had been a genuinely close game I would have agreed with this, but we should have scored at least 3.

I get the impression Moyes might be losing patience with one or two individuals.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

2:10, even Dermot saying it’s a pen.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Oldun wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:38 pm I have watched the penalty incident a number of times and I still see it as a penalty.
Why,because all Dawson did was to try and put his body between the defender and the ball,which all good players do so that they control the situation.
The fact the defender tried to play a ball that was blocked by Dawson was his fault,the ball was not there to be played,by taking that chance he fouled Dawson which is a penalty.
I agree. There are no mitigating circumstance in the laws of the game to disallow the penalty. Both players are on the pitch and one player kicks the other. Doesn't matter if it is an accident, on purpose or where the ball is, anywhere on the pitch it is a foul. Indeed, anywhere else on the pitch it is probably a yellow card. Most fouls and penalties are unintended contact. You don't even have to have possession of or going for he ball.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

It's one of the worst decisions so far this season. Shocking that they didn't give it but its easy to say no to West Ham.
Dawson jumps to shield the ball for a corner and the defender swipes his legs away. It's so Clumsy by the defender but that doesn't mean it's not a pen.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:08 pm It's one of the worst decisions so far this season. Shocking that they didn't give it but its easy to say no to West Ham.
Dawson jumps to shield the ball for a corner and the defender swipes his legs away. It's so Clumsy by the defender but that doesn't mean it's not a pen.
That’s my point,Dawson was looking for a corner and not a penalty,unlike the diving c**** at Chelsea and Liverpool.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

spod wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:50 am I think our problem is we really only have one way of playing, and it's not suited for opponents like Burnley.
Didn't we do the double over them last season?
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

westlondonhammer wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:15 pm Didn't we do the double over them last season?
A couple of notable defeats against them have people thinking they are a bogey side. The 0-3 with the protests and the 3-0 with Roberto are obviously matches that stick. Other than that in the last 5 seasons our records are almost identical against each other. They are a tough side to play, but they aren't Brighton to us...