Burnley 0-0 West Ham Utd (12/12/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 500 likes

Re: ⚽ Burnley vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by IronZ-79 »

Paolopaul wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:56 pm So you’d like to see our players cheat more?
Unfortunately the answer is yes. Players are encouraged to gain an advantage when the opportunity presents itself. Might not be right but that's how it is.
Ethanadict
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 263 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

Burnleyfan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:31 pm Burnley fan in peace!
You boys probably thought you weren’t good, but the difference between the last time I saw you at Burnley under Pellegrini with that clown in the goal is enormous.
You’re a quality side with a backbone that you fans deserve.
Really pleased to see you boys doing better than the plastics at Spurs & Arsenal.
Before you tell me we’re s*it and how can I watch that every week, I know we’re sh*te and I can watch it every week because however limited we are, we’re guaranteed 100%.
Anyway, reason I logged on was to say you’re a quality side with fantastic support and hope you have a good season.
All the best
Burnley Fan
Thanks for coming on and saying that Burnleyfan. Sometimes we need a reminder of how far our own club as come.

I never thought this game would be easy for us, because Burnley don’t make it easy for anyone at Turfmoor. And that’s what keeps the Premier League interesting.

Pope man of the match today. He’s consistently a great keeper.
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by stu1 »

richneal wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:13 pm
Bolton :chin:
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Re: Burnley vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Ironing Board »

Heysel76 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:42 pm The irony was an ex bullied becoming a bully
Calling someone out for persistent windup posts isn’t bullying. Difference is I had a genuinely held, unpopular opinion. That’s a different kettle of fish.
The Straw
Has liked: 581 likes
Total likes: 1409 likes

Post by The Straw »

WCpete wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:50 pm I don't think it was a penalty either. Dawson jumps into the defender. defender was already kicking the ball. I'd get it if it had been given, I guess. I get why it hasn't.If the defender doesn't try to kick the ball Dawson's knocking the ball into touch. I'm ok with the call.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comment ... &context=3
Didn't Balbuena get sent off last year vs Chelsea for just trying to kick the ball? Finished 1-0 to Chelsea. They finished 2 points ahead of us in 4th. People are pissed off because quite frankly it's all a load of b*llocks and there IS a bias, probably unconscious, hopefully unconscious, but there is a bias. Fair enough if Dawson's isn't a penalty, no problem with that. The problem lies in that Ronaldo and Rudiger both got match winning penalties yesterday when it's dubious that they'd have been given for the exact same challenges on Pukki or Tyler Roberts at the other end.
WCpete
Has liked: 1469 likes
Total likes: 3158 likes

Post by WCpete »

I don’t disagree with any of that. I know the clubs that provide the most customers and the most ad revenue to all the entities who vie for slices of the pie get the rub of the green. I take all of that for granted. Im just saying, that taken in isolation, not a penalty.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:27 am I have a genuinely held, unpopular opinion.
Amended for you.
The Straw

Post by The Straw »

WCpete wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:59 am I don’t disagree with any of that. I know the clubs that provide the most customers and the most ad revenue to all the entities who vie for slices of the pie get the rub of the green. I take all of that for granted. Im just saying, that taken in isolation, not a penalty.
We basically totally agree. The problem is taking it in isolation. Was it last season or the one before where by the time we got our first penalty man utd had already been given 13? Its a crude example I know due to many factors (them supposedly attacking more etc) but 'rub of the green' is a tired excuse that everyone accepts but isn't really quantifiable.

Although reading that back it just sounds like I'm moaning 😂
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Doc H Ball wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:10 am Amended for you.
Seems popular enough now!
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Any one who saw maddison's 'penalty' today on TV will be astonished that Dawson's wasn't given. Where's all this 'not in control of the ball' stuff coming from? You don't need to be anywhere near the ball to concede a penalty. Is a player who gets pushed out of the way at a corner in control of the ball? We're a little bit off the pace at the moment but all teams go through a flat spell. If we didn't we'd win the league!
Hamburger
Has liked: 861 likes
Total likes: 444 likes

Post by Hamburger »

The problem is that we just don't score enough in open play and that our forwards are not prolific. It's ok to say that it's good that goals come from many players as long as you say our forwards don't score enough. Our attackers have scored 18 PL goals between all 5 of them in 16 matches. It's a miracle that we are where we are looking at those stats. Not saying that they are bad players but where would we be if we had more productive forwards that buried more of their chances? A lot on here knock Origi (and I'm not a fan) but he has scored 5 from 10 and mostly sub appearances. Let's hope we can address this situation in the Jan transfer window.
Last edited by Hamburger on Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Whether we should’ve had a penalty or not, did the ref even bother asking VAR to review it? Or go over to his monitor to check? Looked like he couldn’t make his mind up quick enough.
The Straw

Post by The Straw »

Hamburger wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:41 am The problem is that we just don't score enough in open play and that our forwards are not prolific. It's ok to say that it's good that goals come from many players as long as you say our forwards don't score enough. Our attackers have scored 18 PL goals between all 5 of them in 16 matches (only 4 more than Salah alone). It's a miracle that we are where we are looking at those stats. Not saying that they are bad players but where would we be if we had more productive forwards that buried their chances? A lot on here knock Origi (and I'm not a fan) but he has scored 5 from 10 and mostly sub appearances. Let's hope we can address this situation in the Jan transfer window.
Yes we would be higher up the table if we had better forwards like Salah but you have to remember we're West Ham so it's difficult for us to get players like that which is why we have to try and be greater than the sum of our parts.

You also have to factor in things like if Salah did play for us to the exact standard he plays for Liverpool, he would get less goals and assists purely because our club doesn't qualify for the penalty bonus.

We're a bit off the boil at the moment. We're tired and we certainly do need someone young to come in and give Antonio something to think about. Who knows with Origi? Never seems to do the business when he starts matches. We've had that problem before with Hernandez. Let's scout the next Drogba.
Hamburger
Has liked: 861 likes
Total likes: 444 likes

Post by Hamburger »

The Straw wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:28 am Yes we would be higher up the table if we had better forwards like Salah but you have to remember we're West Ham so it's difficult for us to get players like that which is why we have to try and be greater than the sum of our parts.

You also have to factor in things like if Salah did play for us to the exact standard he plays for Liverpool, he would get less goals and assists purely because our club doesn't qualify for the penalty bonus.

We're a bit off the boil at the moment. We're tired and we certainly do need someone young to come in and give Antonio something to think about. Who knows with Origi? Never seems to do the business when he starts matches. We've had that problem before with Hernandez. Let's scout the next Drogba.
Good points. And I guess we should be grateful for what we've achieved with such a threadbare squad instead of digging it out.
Long Shot
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by Long Shot »

Burnleyfan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:31 pm
Before you tell me we’re s*it and how can I watch that every week, I know we’re sh*te and I can watch it every week because however limited we are, we’re guaranteed 100%.

All the best
Burnley Fan
Priorities, good on ya mate :newthumb:
NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 613 likes

Post by NedN »

I mentioned this earlier on a thread when someone brought up the “DM doesn’t beat the big teams” argument, and said that I think we will have more or a go at them this year if we want to finish around the same spot, because it’s going to be much harder to beat the teams below us.

Last year we were still seen as a team recovering from a near-relegation. Even when we were performing well there was probably still a “west ham are punching above their weight, we can still have a go at them” attitude, which allowed us to effectively use our quick counterattacking style against everyone, top and bottom.

This year, many lower midtable or near the bottom teams won’t let us do that, even when they’re at home, and no matter who you are it can be difficult to break a well organized PL team down. With this said we’ve beaten some of the “bigger” teams, and we got plenty of corners and enough chances to win this game.

If we had not generated any chances or had any opportunities, I would be worried. But we had a ton of corners that we should have been move clinical on, some good shots, and a number of balls in from good positions that were either slightly off, or played to where someone should have been. A combination of Burnley’s organization, a few lapses of focus, and poor delivery and aggression in attacking corners kept it at zero zero. Fair play to Burnley, but no reason for us to panic. We’ve been involved in far worse 0-0 draws…
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

Heysel76 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:42 pm The irony was an ex bullied becoming a bully
:newthumb: Appreciated.

Don't worry. It doesn't bother me.
There are some grown men who act like 13 year olds and want forums to be a echo Chambers.

My opinion is different to some on here. Not trolling. I just don't believe that the team has progressed as massively as some on here seem to think, and I do t think Moyes has not changed from the manager who bought Fellani, when manager of the biggest club in the world.
Imo, we are just in a moment that many trams have been in before, from Burnley to Fulham. Things seem to fall into place for a short period of time but eventually normality returns.

Let them carry on the abuse to my posts,that are 100% football related, and me. I will continue to post about football and West Ham and over time we will see if I am trolling (I'm not) or I have just been more realistic about the situation an seen the future better than some.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Fair play to you, mate.

I would say good luck for the rest of the season, but I really would like you to go down..

:D

Sorry.

All the best though.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1171 likes
Total likes: 680 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

You boys probably thought you weren’t good, but the difference between the last time I saw you at Burnley under Pellegrini with that clown in the goal is enormous.
You’re a quality side with a backbone that you fans deserve.
Really pleased to see you boys doing better than the plastics at Spurs & Arsenal.
Anyway, reason I logged on was to say you’re a quality side with fantastic support and hope you have a good season.
All the best
Burnley Fan
Fair play mate. Grown up football fan. Without opponents we would not have a sport. With all the money washing around it’s easy to forget the other side of every coin.

Burnley are always tuff to beat!
Good luck for the rest of the season.
👍
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2706 likes

Post by sendô »

To be fair to Burnley they were good value for their point - worked hard and still threw men forwards to try and nick the win when the opportunity arose.

The sort of performance against a 4th placed team we'd have been delighted with when we were down there.