Burnley 0-0 West Ham Utd (12/12/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Re: ⚽ Burnley vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:03 am Our penalty incident that so many think was a joke, it wasn't given and that a host of other clubs were awarded pens this weekend for far less. I have seen the others, but not ours. Did our player, which I believe to be Dawson do a dying Swan act ? If not, we'll then maybe, he should've and we wouldn't be debating this now
I remeber the days when Spurs were the team who would spend days after matches moaning about decisions that didn't go their way.
Hope West Ham fans are above that.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:23 pm I remeber the days when Spurs were the team who would spend days after matches moaning about decisions that didn't go their way.
Every team has fans that moan about decisions after matches it goes with the territory.
Spurs and other fans also spend half their lives non-stop moaning about the manager and his team selections.
Ring any bells?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

That should have been a penalty IMHO

However, we really should have won that game anyway. We dominated but didn't do enough in the final 6th of the pitch

i think it was just one of those days when the ball didn't break for us
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Burnley know how to defend, only 7 teams have conceded fewer league goals than them this term, and thats their game plan.Deny the opposition for 89 minutes and try and nick a goal at the death.

And it nearly worked against us. For all our dominating the ball and field position - 35 plus touches in their box - they had enough about them to put a body between the ball and their goal.

That's what Dyche does.

The fact is we lacked the guile and footwork to unlock them, i thought we were a pair of feet short in the middle, but can well understand why the manager didn't want to fiddle too much with his line up.

I think there are some teams we need to be braver in selection than playing a double 6.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

mushy wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:43 pm Spurs and other fans also spend half their lives…
… on other teams’ sites on the wind up.
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

steps wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:19 am
Proper ground Turf Moor, and it was a pig of a journey back
Turf Moor is brilliant. That cricket club set up for away supporters must be completely unique in English football? I couldn't name another place which is literally next to the football stadium with loads of parking for away fans and a 2 tier clubhouse with bar etc, seating, the lot so close to the ground. It really is a god send for travellers by car. Then the away end, if you're not behind a post, all one tierand can generate some noise in there. Very similar to Upton Park really if you imagined that the away stand was 2 tiered instead of 1.

We went back M62 E and then all the way down the A1/M11. Absolute smooth sailing with basically no traffic. Sounds like we got lucky :grin:
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

:arry:
Doc H Ball wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:59 pm … on other teams’ sites on the wind up.
Bravo Doc.
:newthumb:
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

r99c wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:00 pm Turf Moor is brilliant. That cricket club set up for away supporters must be completely unique in English football? I couldn't name another place which is literally next to the football stadium with loads of parking for away fans and a 2 tier clubhouse with bar etc, seating, the lot so close to the ground. It really is a god send for travellers by car. Then the away end, if you're not behind a post, all one tierand can generate some noise in there. Very similar to Upton Park really if you imagined that the away stand was 2 tiered instead of 1.

We went back M62 E and then all the way down the A1/M11. Absolute smooth sailing with basically no traffic. Sounds like we got lucky :grin:
I can't decide whether their club crest is brilliant or awful. It's more the former, but the weird diagonal lines look like they were put on using Deluxe Paint in the 90s!

This one is much better:

spod
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by spod »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:23 pm I remeber the days when Spurs were the team who would spend days after matches moaning about decisions that didn't go their way.
I thought you only offered your controversial views on football and were too morally upright to slag off other posters.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

My desire to give you the benefit of the doubt is fading
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:47 am The opposition view: Burnley
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136539
Nice OV that.

Also Burnleyfan a few pages back being very complimentary. I do think there'll be three worse teams than them come the end of the season, but IF they go down, I reckon a few of their key players will be snapped up and they'll find it difficult to bounce straight back up.
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 1966 »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:56 pm Burnley know how to defend, only 7 teams have conceded fewer league goals than them this term, and thats their game plan.Deny the opposition for 89 minutes and try and nick a goal at the death.

And it nearly worked against us. For all our dominating the ball and field position - 35 plus touches in their box - they had enough about them to put a body between the ball and their goal.

That's what Dyche does.

The fact is we lacked the guile and footwork to unlock them, i thought we were a pair of feet short in the middle, but can well understand why the manager didn't want to fiddle too much with his line up.

I think there are some teams we need to be braver in selection than playing a double 6.
In footballing terms, what does guile mean?
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

London Fields Hammer wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:54 am I was stood right behind the goal yesterday so got a first class view of all those shots flying over the bar. I wonder if it was partly because Burnley defend shots so well. If you don't aim at the top corners some defender will block the shot. So everyone over-compensated. It has to be said that all the Burnley back line were outstanding yesterday at the last-ditch stuff.
We just didn't have any other options. They play in that very compact formation, we couldn't get through them (needed a bit more zip on the passing, I like Benhrama but he always seems to want to take a few touches), so we kept swinging in crosses, but that wasn't getting us anywhere, so that just left edge of the area shots.

I did think at one stage we were going to win it, but Pope is a very good keeper.

Rice MotM comfortably I thought, which I'm not really happy about, because it really did look like he was a class above the rest, which can't be good for our prospects of keeping him.

Everyone thought Masuaku would be a liability, and they were right. He was exemplified when he did a great nutmeg, then passed straight to one of their players. I really hope I never see him play full back again. Coufal on the other side looked good.

Antonio the other big disappointment, didn't look fully fit. They were singing his praises on Motd2, which makes me suspect they only saw the highlights.

Happy with the clean sheet, especially for Diop, if he can cut out the errors he can be one of the best centre backs around.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

That game was calling out for a quality player like Lingard. The general lack of a footballing brain on display by our attacking players was very apparent unfortunately. Would have replaced Benrahma earlier and with Fornals. Still not sure what Vlasic is bringing to the party other than a bottle of Blue Nun. Rice was best on show by a long way. The defence acquitted themselves well. The penalty incident was at the other end and not seen a replay. I have seen the soft penalties given to other teams on Saturday though so it must have been a very obvious dive by Dawson not to be given is all I'll say. I like Burnley, it's a proper club. They put on a marquee for away fans, it's not just the cricket ground that cater for away fans.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Kialos wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:52 pm That game was calling out for a quality player like Lingard. The general lack of a footballing brain on display by our attacking players was very apparent unfortunately.
Agree with that. We were like headless chickens up front.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

1966 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:12 pm In footballing terms, what does guile mean?
Overhead kick:

Ticker Boyce
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by Ticker Boyce »

As a previous poster said, Burnley Cricket Club next door to Turf Moor is a great venue for away fans to drink, although on this occasion me and my mate arrived early enough to stroll into the town to imbibe. The great Jimmy Anderson, most successful fast bowler of all time in Test cricket, started out at Burnley CC before being quickly recruited by Lancashire County Cricket Club and equally quickly being called up by England. So as you sink your pint you're looking out on the green grass where history began.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

I always found that Blue Nun goes down a treat at Xmas. Fresh, crisp & fruity. :wine:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Vic_Watson wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:54 pm I always found that Blue Nun goes down a treat at Xmas. Fresh, crisp & fruity. :wine:
Claret & Blue Army
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

If the penalty shout wasn't for solid CB Craig Dawson, but for Benrahma or Bowen, would it have been given?