Harrison Ashby

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

ParkersHere
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Re: Harrison Ashby.

Post by ParkersHere »

It seems his head was turned in the summer and probably why Moyes has not used him much. Getting a fee and a sell on clause is a decent piece of business. Who knows if he is going to make it but he looked okay in the few times he has had opportunity. It was generally against weaker opposition.
Time will tell..
ironside58
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by ironside58 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:24 pm He refused a new deal.

Not much we could do unfortunately.
[/quote We could have given him more games to see if it was worth negotiating, the issue, whatever he says about young players, is that Moyes onlynpickd them against lesser opposiion or when despatate.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

ironside58 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:54 pmWe could have given him more games to see if it was worth negotiating, the issue, whatever he says about young players, is that Moyes only picked them against lesser opposiion or when despatate.
But that is the catch 22. If he has indicated he won't sign a contract then do you waste minutes on him to try and change his mind knowing that will probably benefit a competitor? How does Johnson and Coufal feel about that?

The worry for me is the inclination of quite a few to blame the manager based on not very much when his track record on this stuff is very good.

There were some willing to lynch him over the Diangana sale. I'm sure they appreciate the irony that Benrahma has now become the poster child for anti-Moyes sentiment when they were so against signing him rather than keeping Diangana!
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

woodywoody wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:03 pm Apparently Howe has said he is a 1st team player and not a youth and will be back up to Trippier. So apart from more money a manager that believes in him and can you blame him on that note. Some of our so called kids are 20 plus and after playing ok in European games etc and still dont get further chances then not many youngsters will come through.
He's too old to be a youth player anyway, they have to register him. So he'll compete with Manquillo and Krafth for 1. 2. and 3. back up to Trippier
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

MB wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:53 pm But that is the catch 22. If he has indicated he won't sign a contract then do you waste minutes on him to try and change his mind knowing that will probably benefit a competitor? How does Johnson and Coufal feel about that?
TBH he is 21 and we should have known a year ago whether he was worth investing game time and money in.
He isn't a kid and it's a senior contract. Would certainly have more substance to our discussions as nobody knows really.

Perkins is different being a couple of years younger.

The number of games we have played since Nov 2021 (I think around when he started vs Spurs) and the performance levels we have seen from fullbacks in that time, i think we missed an opportunity to see what he can do.

Again, i still say you can't really bring through 2 young players in the same position and we will possibly loose both!

My hope is Kehrer will be our RB once he finds form.
Liam
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Liam »

El brooko79 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:04 pm TBH he is 21 and we should have known a year ago whether he was worth investing game time and money in.
He isn't a kid and it's a senior contract. Would certainly have more substance to our discussions as nobody knows really.

I think we did, we were willing to invest. He'd already had his head turned, we chose not to try and compete. We move on.
MB

Post by MB »

El brooko79 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:04 pm
The number of games we have played since Nov 2021 (I think around when he started vs Spurs) and the performance levels we have seen from fullbacks in that time, i think we missed an opportunity to see what he can do.
I look at it the other way which is the opportunity was there and he still didn't play. That is either Moyes' caution or the lad wasn't showing it in training. I don't think Moyes would ignore a youngster just because they were a youngster so would bet on the latter. We'll probably never know.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

Zman39 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:40 pm I always thought Ashby looked good when I saw him. Regardless of what happens with him at Newcastle, feel this will be an often referenced mess up by the club in the future.
I doubt it, but on the other hand what did you expect the club to do about it?
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

ironside58 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:54 pm
How is this an issue?

If he was good enough he'd have played like Rice and Johnson.

Have a look throughout the league, which clubs are giving teenagers token minutes? It's not happening.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

If he had no intention of staying he was rightly frozen out. Makes perfect sense now why he wasn't to be seen for reserves.
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:48 pm How is this an issue?

If he was good enough he'd have played like Rice and Johnson.

Have a look throughout the league, which clubs are giving teenagers token minutes? It's not happening.
Because some supporters think we have issues at fullback and he might have been an option.
Just because Moyes doesn't play someone doesn't mean they are not good enough.
MB

Post by MB »

El brooko79 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:00 pm Because some supporters think we have issues at fullback and he might have been an option.
Oh so you were the one supporter who got Kral on the back of your shirt :crylol:
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

If he and his dad/agent had made it clear they were off no matter what then I'm not surprised he wasn't played.
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

MB wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:03 pm Oh so you were the one supporter who got Kral on the back of your shirt :crylol:
Gonna worth a fortune in a few years.....you wait....
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

El brooko79 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:00 pm Because some supporters think we have issues at fullback and he might have been an option.
I just keep seeing that our youngsters 'arent getting a chance' and it's Moyes' fault.

Hardly any teenagers come out of academies and play these days. It's not an exclusively West Ham problem.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Ashby's 21.
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:22 pm I just keep seeing that our youngsters 'arent getting a chance' and it's Moyes' fault.

Hardly any teenagers come out of academies and play these days. It's not an exclusively West Ham problem.
And there is a balance here because you can't play youngsters because they are not ready and you can't be ready without playing.

But he hasn't played so why are where we offering him a contract. He is 21, he isnt a teenager. Feels like he should have played more senior football by now.
Bring_Back_Connolly
Has liked: 2549 likes
Total likes: 133 likes

Post by Bring_Back_Connolly »

westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Bring_Back_Connolly wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:26 pm Ashbys nice goodbye
Thats a pretty damaging parting shot

Oh wait...

Good luck fella
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

It appears the club thought him worthy of potentially taking a fullback spot, as they offered him a contract which he subsequently refused.

The contract refusal is where the manager and player would have hit a crossroads I reckon, and probably rightly so on Moyes' side, if you don't want to commit then you don't play, if you want away, you don't play.

Ashby was clearly rated, but he didn't want to be here. Simple as that really.

Shame.