Harrison Ashby

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Has liked: 4554 likes
Total likes: 1539 likes

Harrison Ashby

Post by Sticky »

Saw the thread for Longelo ~ but couldn't find one for this kid. Feel free to delete if an older one exists.

I have to say - I was impressed with all of our youngsters last night - Longelo caught the eye to such an extent that I think this boys performance went somewhat under the radar.

Do you know what I liked most about him? He went up for a header early doors, landed badly and clearly hurt himself, I could see him struggling to run it off - until we were caught at the back and he got from their box to ours in a matter of seconds, after that he clattered the corner flag and he also got another little whack or two. I felt that in terms of experience - out of all the youngsters Ashby will have learnt the most from last night. That will have toughened him up and hopefully will spur him on.

I thought his technique, range of passing, ability to give and go and his crossing looked superb. He is super quick too.

Regardless of whether these kids make it or not, they will always be able to say they played for West Ham in Europe in front of 50k. Dreams do come true.

Hope to see a lot more of this boy in the future.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 4731 likes

Re: Harrison Ashby.

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Just turned 20. He's 2 years behind Johnson in terms of development. Will be interesting to see how he develops comparatively.

I think it's fairly clear why we let Ngakia go without too much of a fight.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1214 likes
Total likes: 584 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Sticky wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:24 pm

I have to say - I was impressed with all of our youngsters last night - Longelo caught the eye to such an extent that I think this boys performance went somewhat under the radar....

.....hope to see a lot more of this boy in the future.
Agree with all of this. I think he has the potential to be a really good all-round player. I got the impression he has a really good attitude too.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1188 likes
Total likes: 930 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Has a great cross on him :newthumb:
dal
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by dal »

his dad was a pro, Without Google name and any previous clubs?
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 313 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

Looks quality to me, shame he and the others couldn't have been blended in alongside the more experienced defender's, they all done brilliant considering though.
Rowly
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by Rowly »

Thought he had a great game. More so tham Longelo for me (who was also supurb!) The future looks bright!
BigFatSam
Has liked: 209 likes
Total likes: 1096 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Seen him play for us twice and both times I’ve been impressed. Likewise with Longello, I’d like to see him start getting the odd 5 mins here and there over the coming weeks in the prem.
devonshire flu
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by devonshire flu »

I thought he was better than the left back overall. (Which is saying something, cos Longelo looked really good.)

Plenty of discipline, athleticism, skill and ambition. I'd have no problem seeing him start an EPL match.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1035 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

dal wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:15 pm his dad was a pro, Without Google name and any previous clubs?
He’s a Gillingham legend. Is it Barry Ashby?
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1035 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Of the kids that Moyes has used so far, Harrison is the one that really excites me. I think he can go far.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1081 likes
Total likes: 1386 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:32 pm Just turned 20. He's 2 years behind Johnson in terms of development. Will be interesting to see how he develops comparatively.

I think it's fairly clear why we let Ngakia go without too much of a fight.
He missed most of last season with injury too...

He's one who could do well with a loan (with guarantees of playing). RB is strong for us (who ever thought we would say that) and regular playing time with men could be good for him.

An excellent prospect
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Feels very much like he could be Moyes’ Seamus Coleman. I was impressed with him in the Carabao Cup last season.

We are laughing in the rightback department! Coufal, Johnson, Fredericks and young Ashby. Baptiste can apparently play there too. When Coufal eventually moves on, or is no longer a first choice starter we may already be sorted for the future with both young Johnson and Ashby waiting in the wings. And we wouldn’t have to spend any money!
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

He has played RB and RWB for the u23s. Got quite a few goals and assists this season already
Believer
Has liked: 1425 likes
Total likes: 761 likes

Post by Believer »

funky chicken wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:50 am Feels very much like he could be Moyes’ Seamus Coleman. I was impressed with him in the Carabao Cup last season.

We are laughing in the rightback department! Coufal, Johnson, Fredericks and young Ashby. Baptiste can apparently play there too. When Coufal eventually moves on, or is no longer a first choice starter we may already be sorted for the future with both young Johnson and Ashby waiting in the wings. And we wouldn’t have to spend any money!
Very good point. I suspect that this will be an area that Newman will have been tasked - Eg, spotting and signing exceptional young talent. It’s all very well buying the odd £20m or £30m player but if you can build a youth squad with the UK and Europe’s best talent, spending serious wedge every window will no longer be required.

It’s all very positive at the minute.
rciron
Has liked: 298 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

LeonRivers wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:28 am Of the kids that Moyes has used so far, Harrison is the one that really excites me. I think he can go far.
You are Barry Ashby, and I claim my £5
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

When you think of all the resources the likes of Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton, Liverpool and even the Spuds have, with regards to more money to spend, more of a scouting network and much much better facilities than us, to see our u23s top of the League approaching the half way point, that is an outstanding achievement and shouldn’t be underestimated.

For our youngsters to be doing that well, we absolutely must have some talent there. And I am optimistic at least 2 of those 5 younger players that played the other night will be regular first team squad players in the next 2 years.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1214 likes
Total likes: 584 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

funky chicken wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:06 pm ....to see our u23s top of the League approaching the half way point, that is an outstanding achievement and shouldn’t be underestimated.

For our youngsters to be doing that well, we absolutely must have some talent there. And I am optimistic at least 2 of those 5 younger players that played the other night will be regular first team squad players in the next 2 years.
That's really encouraging. I seem to remember that the national team's recent success was preceded by success at the 'junior' levels.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 4731 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Chosen over Longelo for the bench today
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

In amongst everything that happened in this game, this lad did not look out of depth at all.

Imagine the pressure of making your PL debut away to Arsenal when we are down to 10 men and losing 1-0. He made some great touches and slotted right in.

Very promising.