Harrison Ashby

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Re: Harrison Ashby.

Post by S-H »

When Howe inevitably loses his job at Newcastle in the next 12-18months, as expectations on Tyneside reach stratospheric levels.

What then for Master Ashby?
Pete647580
Has liked: 1213 likes
Total likes: 584 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

S-H wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:42 pm When Howe inevitably loses his job at Newcastle in the next 12-18months, as expectations on Tyneside reach stratospheric levels.

Becomes our first choice RB when Howe replaces Moyes.
Last edited by Pete647580 on Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

S-H wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:42 pm When Howe inevitably loses his job at Newcastle in the next 12-18months, as expectations on Tyneside reach stratospheric levels.

Keep up S-H, he'll be at Barnsley by then, it's on the previous page
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4380 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

davids cross wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:41 pm My question is why aren't they very good. ??....why aren't we producing more good ones. Because at the moment, even the ones we let go do not go on to be top drawer players anywhere else.......yes, they can make a professional living and that's brilliant. But the really really good ones...where are they. I don't expect them all the time....but Dec apart...???
20 clubs x 25 man squad = 500 PL pros. The clubs can fill those 500 spots with 340 non-homegrown players.

That leaves only 160 spaces guaranteed for 'homegrowns'

If an average career lasts 16 years - that means only 10 homegrown players make it per year from the entire football pyramid.

If it was the 70s or 80s still - players like Ashby, Alese, Cullen etc would have played 100+ games each for WHU.

It isn't that academy standards are poor , it's that the player market is huge now.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I doubnt Eddie Howe has had much, if any , input in this signining

Ashby's Dad is an ex-pro turned agent so will be well versed in the fun and games of transfers. He probably has a contact at Newcastle and they have taken a bit of a punt, on the off chance he pushes on. His Dad may have a couple of loan contacts lined up ready to go next season

If he goes out on loan to the champrionship and performs reasonably well, they will probably turn a profit on him anyway - simply because of the cache of playing for newcastle

It is not far off a no-lose for Newcastle and for the player (his Dad) as well
Diogenes
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by Diogenes »

If he had real potential he should have been pushing for a spot at 18-19 and playing at 20. Is he better than Moyes current options, Coufal, Johnson, Kehrer? Debatable I know, but I think not. Also, I suspect Moyes will eventually get a RB (perhaps this summer) with more experience etc and of course pay more but get better. So for me, even if we end up with egg on our face, its an easy decision to make.
Denzil
Has liked: 356 likes
Total likes: 524 likes

Post by Denzil »

Trippier signed a new contract less than one week ago so I find it a bizarre move if he has gone for first team football.

That said, he was not in Moyes plans at all here.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Good luck to the lad.

Fail to see why anyone is getting too grumpy over this to be honest. Only part of it that leaves a bad taste is that it's another example of how tapping up is just a clearly accepted part of football these days.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Spending his time and money out the Team on getting a new tattoo on his other arm stating..

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Post by -DL- »

A 21 year old player with a grand total of 6 minutes of PL football, that has been tapped up and declined a new contract in the summer with the club that invested money, time, and effort in to his development.

Meanwhile, two academy players that are just two years older than himself have gone on to be established first teamers.

If you're good enough, you get the chance, despite people saying Moyes doesn't use any youngsters.

Good luck to the boy for taking the Arab ££££.

I suspect he'll be another on the ever growing lists of youngsters we've let go or have chosen to leave that go on to forge a decent pro career in the game at a lower level.

I'm not 'worried' about the state of our academy or the fact that two prospects have left to take the pound note elsewhere.

If he can shift the inevitable multi-tens-of-millions pound right back that Newcastle will inevitably sign to replace Trippier from the first team, I'll come back to this post and say "well we/I got that one wrong".

I imagine that won't happen. In fact, I'm very confident it won't won't happen.
Denzil wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:19 pm That said, he was not in Moyes plans at all here.
Of course he wasn't, that boat sailed when he turned down a new contract.
norse
Has liked: 380 likes
Total likes: 838 likes

Post by norse »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:42 pm
Fail to see why anyone is getting too grumpy over this to be honest.
League position is my guess; everything that happens in around the club is the manager's fault apparently
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 654 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

norse wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:43 pm League position is my guess; everything that happens in around the club is the manager's fault apparently
Well HE is supposed to be responsible for the squad, tactics, results, man management etc.......
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 4715 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Hilarious that Moyes is getting some blame for this.

He left for the big money that Newcastle threw at him, no loyalty at such a young age.

Mubama will be posting snake emojis next to a picture of him next year.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I'm sure Cashby made the right choice for his footballing career and not for his bank account.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

He's joined an ascending, imminently more successful club, led by an exciting young manager, for vastly more money and no less opportunity.

Pretty easy decision really wasn't it, regardless of whether he is actually good enough or not.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

fjthegrey wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:40 pm He's joined an ascending, imminently more successful club, led by an exciting young manager, for vastly more money and no less opportunity.

Pretty easy decision really wasn't it, regardless of whether he is actually good enough or not.
Pretty much spot on
Plus his dad/ agent who is an ex-pro will almost certainly be using his contacts to make sure it is beneficial financially and from a playing point of view i.e going out on loan
billtho
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by billtho »

He couldn't play any worse than Johnson last night, in fact in most games that Johnson has played this season he's not got a future here neither.
Heysel76
Has liked: 215 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

fjthegrey wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:40 pm He's joined an ascending, imminently more successful club, led by an exciting young manager, for vastly more money and no less opportunity.

I agree with all of that, however, living in Geordie land :thumbdn:
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

good luck to ashby. hes gone now contributed little when he was here. gone for the cash at a club likely to be doing well over the next few years.
what did we have to offer him ? less money, poor team, relegation a possibility, poor owners, poor manager

no brainer.

as for johnson he needs to play one position for a few games rather than shifted from RB to LB via RWB positions
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

hammerman11 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:04 pm good luck to ashby. hes gone now contributed little when he was here. gone for the cash at a club likely to be doing well over the next few years.
what did we have to offer him ? less money, poor team, relegation a possibility, poor owners, poor manager

no brainer.

as for johnson he needs to play one position for a few games rather than shifted from RB to LB via RWB positions
These aren't true.