Arsenal 2-0 West Ham Utd (15/12/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Re: ⚽ Arsenal vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by arlhe »

Having calmed down, I ' don't think the pen and sending off affected the final outcome. We were second best and lucky to only be one down when it happened.

An 'old' West Ham performance. It'll happen. Let's move on...
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

arlhe wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:35 am Having calmed down, I ' don't think the pen and sending off affected the final outcome. We were second best and lucky to only be one down when it happened.

I don't think the penalty decided the ultimate outcome, but who knows? We always stand a chance of nicking an equalizer with eleven players on the pitch. It could be argued if we wasn't pressing so much for the equalizer with ten men, we wouldn't have been so exposed at the back for their second.

Not to mention of course, we're now without our current first choice right back for the next game.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

As sh*t as the majority of our attacking players have been recently, both Dawson and Diop deserve a special mention. I don’t think either have done a lot wrong since becoming our starting centre halves. And that includes the Chelsea game too. :newthumb:
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Our best spell in the game was just before the pen and red.

We were actually starting to apply a little pressure.
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

Surprised at the reaction from supporters.
Did anyone really believe we were challenging top 6? That we were suddenly in with the big clubs? Be surprised if anyone says yes.
It wa s a great story for Sky, media etc 'smaller clubs challenge the big boys'. They like to find one. They have done the same with Burnley, Fulham, Swansea at times. Reality is it is just a fleeting story with no substance.

Last season was a strange season and shouldn't be used as a barometer, imo.

We have defenders missing, but the defence, bar Coufal who is now all over the place, is doing well. The issues are ahead of it.

Soucek is painful in possession and is offering zilch. Undeeatand he's a fans favourite but the manager needs to stop having favourites and deal with the issues.
People won't like my opinion but Bowen is bottom half PL at best. His decision making and final ball/shot is just not top half PL quality.
The CF position is down to one man, Moyes. Poor management before the season started

Moyes needs to stop managing scared, imo. Stop playing a defensive game and hope to get a goal from a set piece. That worked for a period of time but now teams have worked it out. Time for him to prove he is a manger that can be proactive and have the ability to change the system. Imo, he looked lost on the sideline yesterday. He looked like he was in the Allardyce, Warno k, Hughes group of managers.
Hopefully Moyes will now see that his tactics are not effective long-term and will set up to try and win games and be a threat in open play.

A season not fighting relegation with memorable moments is a good season.
Don't let not being a top 6 club spoil it.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

arlhe wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:35 am Having calmed down, I ' don't think the pen and sending off affected the final outcome. We were second best and lucky to only be one down when it happened.

We were poor but we often seem to improve as games go on away from home and we we're starting to look more threatening. The saved penalty could have lifted us but with ten men it was always going to be likely that Arsenal would score again.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Mexhammer wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:30 am We lost 2-0 away to a decent Arsenal side, not helped by poor refereeing decisions and unacceptable play acting by the opposition - BIG DEAL.
1. Thats the first time we have been beaten by more than one goal in god knows how long...
2. We are in the quarter finals of the league cup, having beaten both Manchesters away.
3. Won our group in Europa League.
4. Have beaten Chelsea and Liverpool in the last month.
5. Our entire back four is out injured
Some of the reactions on here are embarrassing :crestnew: :hammc:
All the above is true, but.....That same Arsenal team got slaughtered by a poor Everton team only just over a week ago, 2-1 doesnt do justice to the game, Everton had three goals chalked off by VAR. All Everton did was compete with Arsenals work rate all over the pitch. What we did was the exact opposite, 1st half we gave them all the time and space they needed to completely dominate us in the midfield areas of the pitch, and we were timid on the ball, Everton went toe to toe and were far braver in their attacking game. Crucially their game changer Richarlison turned up, and ours in Antonio didn't. The key difference is Everton played like their lives depended on the result, and ours played like they had never met before.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:44 am Surprised at the reaction from supporters.
Did anyone really believe we were challenging top 6?
Did anyone believe we were challenging for the top 6, after finishing 6th? I mean, the concept is just unbelievable isn't it...
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

We were poor last night. We are running on empty and it all seems to be catching up with us.

Disgraceful antics by Arsenal, going to ground constantly and getting around the ref, the entitlement is unreal for a side who have been out of the top six for a few seasons now. Equally disgraceful from the ref and his team to get so much wrong in the game. The pen and red card are just astounding to me.

Not that I feel any of it would have changed the outcome of the game though. We were massively second best, looked leggy and even nervous at times, we didn't want the ball and we smashed it aimlessly forward when we did get it. A return to the bad old days. We massively miss Ogbonna and Cresswell, the whole team are on edge without the confidence they instil. And of course we need someone up top to give Antonio a rest.

Maybe we should have claimed a covid outbreak and taken two weeks off, we certainly look like we need it. I think we will have enough for Norwich, but I fear the worst in the quarter final now.
Last edited by sutts07 on Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:44 am Surprised at the reaction from supporters.
Did anyone really believe we were challenging top 6? That we were suddenly in with the big clubs? Be surprised if anyone says yes.
It wa s a great story for Sky, media etc 'smaller clubs challenge the big boys'. They like to find one. They have done the same with Burnley, Fulham, Swansea at times. Reality is it is just a fleeting story with no substance.

Last season was a strange season and shouldn't be used as a barometer, imo.

We have defenders missing, but the defence, bar Coufal who is now all over the place, is doing well. The issues are ahead of it.

Soucek is painful in possession and is offering zilch. Undeeatand he's a fans favourite but the manager needs to stop having favourites and deal with the issues.
People won't like my opinion but Bowen is bottom half PL at best. His decision making and final ball/shot is just not top half PL quality.
The CF position is down to one man, Moyes. Poor management before the season started

Moyes needs to stop managing scared, imo. Stop playing a defensive game and hope to get a goal from a set piece. That worked for a period of time but now teams have worked it out. Time for him to prove he is a manger that can be proactive and have the ability to change the system. Imo, he looked lost on the sideline yesterday. He looked like he was in the Allardyce, Warno k, Hughes group of managers.
Hopefully Moyes will now see that his tactics are not effective long-term and will set up to try and win games and be a threat in open play.

A season not fighting relegation with memorable moments is a good season.
Don't let not being a top 6 club spoil it.
Go fish in another lake will you mate. :thdn:
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

The penalty didn’t have much of an impact, as it was missed, but the sending off did (two yellow cards that shouldn’t have been yellow cards) and as poor as we were last night, with 11 men we certainly could have knicked something.

Arsenal aren’t that great and I don’t think they were that great last night - we’ve beaten better teams than them this season - but people are starting to jump on their bandwagon a little bit. They will play some better teams soon, pick up injuries, the odd keeper howler here and there and they’ll be back down in mid-table in a couple of months.
Benaloon
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by Benaloon »

They were much better than us most of the game despite the penalty nonsense. It was a continuation of our lacklustre performances across the last few games - I was so impressed at the start of the season how Moyes had built on the strong foundation he'd set up and got us playing going forward as well which meant we were a real force for anyone, but recently we seem to have completely regressed to 'try and shut them out and maybe we'll fluke a goal from a corner'. Whether that's down to tiredness, so many games, cresswell being out I don't know, but it isn't good to watch and we've lost that 'we'll give anyone a game' confidence.

1 win in our last 6 isn't great.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

sutts07 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:48 am We were poor last night. We are running on empty and it all seems to be catching up with us.

Disgraceful antics by Arsenal, going to ground constantly and getting around the ref, the entitlement is unreal.
Equally disgraceful from the ref and his team to get so much wrong in the game, not that I feel any of it would have changed the outcome.

We looked leggy and even nervous at times. We massively miss Ogbonna and Cresswell, the whole team are on edge without the confidence they instil.

Maybe we should have claimed a covid outbreak and taken two weeks off, we certainly look like we need it. I think we will have enough for Norwich, but I fear the worst in the quarter final now.
Agree with everything, sutts, although I don’t think the game with Norwich will go ahead…
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Meanwhile, in mummy TurtleHeads basement

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

If the poster that everyone thinks is a troll, is a troll, why do people keep quoting and humouring him?

Just ignore the posts, and don't rise to it and quote them - or stick him on ignore.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Arsenal’s performance alone showed how far we’ve come. They were working their ars*s off, closing us down as if it was a game against one of their usual rivals competing at the top of the League. You don’t usually see a performance like that from the Gooners unless they are playing Man Utd, or their rivals the Spuds.
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

I agree with the comment about Moyes managing scared. He got it wrong last night. We should have pressed them higher. On the odd occasion that we did, they panicked at the back. That was a game we should have been at them, we were too passive.

Hopefully this puts the Arthur at LB myth to bed... he is awful. Ive seen Longelo quite a bit for the u23s, and he would be a far better option. Got roasted last night.

Id be looking to give Kral a start over Soucek, got caught in possession too often last night.

We just need to freshen it up a bit I think (which is easier said than done) but Kral and Vlasic need to come in. Too many players currently offering very little
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

And to think there were some on here, not so long ago, who were convinced we would finish above Arsenal.
Not a snowball's chance in hell of that happening. IMO.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

BondsoBob wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:40 am And to think there were some on here, not so long ago, who were convinced we would finish above Arsenal.
Not a snowball's chance in hell of that happening. IMO.
There's still every chance.

Arsenal are currently in a vein of form.

We are not.

That's football.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

S-H wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:43 am There's still every chance.

Arsenal are currently in a vein of form.

We are not.

That's football.
I don't think we will. In fact the way things are going I reckon 9th/10th is our likely finish. Arse will be top 6.
Again IMO.