Arsenal 2-0 West Ham Utd (15/12/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Re: ⚽ Arsenal vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

We’ve played so well over the last year or so and expended that much energy that I think a mini slump was inevitable. You can’t have one without the other.

It happens to all clubs.

We regroup and go again.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

BondsoBob wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:48 am . Arse will be top 6.
We've had to go on a run of 1 win in 6, including a defeat to them, for them to get above us. I certainly wouldn't give up finishing above them.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

arlhe wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:35 am Having calmed down, I ' don't think the pen and sending off affected the final outcome. We were second best and lucky to only be one down when it happened.

An 'old' West Ham performance. It'll happen. Let's move on...
Pretty much summed up how I felt about it.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

-DL- wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:57 am If the poster that everyone thinks is a troll, is a troll, why do people keep quoting and humouring him?

Just ignore the posts, and don't rise to it and quote them - or stick him on ignore.
He needs to wind his neck in.

(see what I did there)
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Losing to Arsenal may be terrible for West Ham, but it seems to be good for KUMB. If only we (as a whole) embraced the victories as fully!

These are wise words, I feel.

r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

r99c wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:08 am So at 2 away games in the space of 4 games, I've heard/seen

-A certain song that was sung on a plane that made the news
-Monkey chants at kids and stuff being thrown [just one numbskull]

Come on West Ham, we're better than this.

Having a good think about whether I want to be going to away games in the future.
Just looking on Twitter, and the grey beanie hat pictured here is the one I was referring to in the second point. Utterly despicable waste of oxygen.

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Right, it's the cold light of day now and I've had a chance to sober up and calm down. A few points:

- Arsenal were very good. Their pressing from the front was good, consistent and relentless and we didn't have a way around it. When we resorted to punting long their centre backs won everything, and where they didn't they had all the second balls. Saka, Odegaard and Martinelli all played very well, and Lacazette was excellent. They played as if this was the biggest game of the season for them, and completely unlike the Arsenal that played vs Man Utd.

- Our general play was poor. Too slow and too conservative. Potential opportunities seemed to break down time and again as we turned back inside or went back to the defence and the keeper. We were far too deep too often, yes partly due to Arsenal's press, but even when we were up the pitch and the opportunity was there to press their keeper and centre backs we half thought about it, then stood off and allowed them to bypass half of our midfield.

- The ref was awful all match. Arsenal were continually doing niggly little fouls, pulling us back etc and Taylor gave us nothing, yet every single soft foul on them he gave. Coufal arm across Tierney's chest is a yellow because Tierney throws himself to the floor holding his face, but Partey elbow to Antonio's face nothing doing.

- Arsenal were also diving, feigning injury and trying to get our players booked constantly. They surrounded the ref more than once and Arteta on the touchline was constantly moaning and trying to influence the ref. What sort of shithouse team plays this snidy niggly brand of football? f*** watching that every week. Where's their self respect?

- Lanzini and Fornals played but Fornals was central where he did little whilst Lanzini was wide where he also failed to protect Masuaku. Arthur was awful and got skinned time and again by Saka.

- We need a plan B. We have one way of playing and have become predictable. Our main tactic on the break is play it into Antonio to hold up and bring in Bowen/Fornals, but teams have worked out if they keep tight to him he can't bring it down well enough and they'll nick the second ball. Antonio needs a rest too.
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

It's getting a bit boring with so many Stone Island wannabees offering everyone out all game and chucking stuff from a safe distance. Just gives their fellow supporters earache and getting the brunt of the objects chucked back.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

I can’t believe how or why anyone would be racist in the first place, but I really can’t f*cking believe how or why anyone would shout racist abuse like that, so outwardly, without any care, in the 21st century where there are cameras everywhere and where we’re living in a diverse and multicultural society.

I hope those two above, and anyone else spreading their vile vitriol and hate, do time in prison and get life bans from football.
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Luckily wasn’t next to me all game and was only at the end when heading for that aisle in block 20. Absolute Neanderthal. Experience of that, and then all that stupid finger pointing nonsense next to the home/away segregation line like I witnessed at both Burnley and Man City is really putting me off doing future away games.

The atmosphere wasn’t even that good, seems like no one can be arsed singing anymore. Might pack it in and stick to standing in the BML when I can.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Haven't seen much talk about how well Ashby did when he came on, thought he was a bit up and down in Europe but certainly didn't look like he was making his debut last night ...got properly stuck in :fist:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Arsenal
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136552
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

-DL- wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:37 am I don't think the penalty decided the ultimate outcome, but who knows? We always stand a chance of nicking an equalizer with eleven players on the pitch. It could be argued if we wasn't pressing so much for the equalizer with ten men, we wouldn't have been so exposed at the back for their second.

Not to mention of course, we're now without our current first choice right back for the next game.
First half, they were definitely ahead on points.
However, us having a player sent off, went a large way towards them winning the game.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Up the Junction wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:08 pm The opposition view: Arsenal
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136552
sendô

Post by sendô »

You're a braver man than me trawling through all that smug, boss.
SullySpecial
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

OV is fairly balanced, other than a few entitled numpties who thinks Arsenal are still in their early 2000’s glory days.

On the racist WHU fans, one word - scum. No place for that sort of behaviour in society, and I hope both WHU and the police act quickly to ensure their poisonous behaviour is never seen at another football match.
sendô

Post by sendô »

This guy gets it though:

"It was a good performance but I can't help but feel Moyes bottled it. I fully expected West Ham to press us high and kick us. Had he watched us play against Southampton, for the first 15 minutes we were poor. Instead they kinda resorted into a mid-block, pressed very little and we moved the ball around their midfield very quickly. Soucek and Rice are physical demons but I don't think they like being stretched so often. I'm happy about the performance but this was more about Moyes getting it wrong than Arteta outsmarting him."
- RunTheTrap
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

sendô wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:12 pm You're a braver man than me trawling through all that smug, boss.
Actually it's not as bad as I thought....some recognition on our poor form of late, the fact we were missing 3 first team defenders and even a pop at Arteta...but sure there are some real wallies on there too
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Actually, a few very fair comments on there.
Outweighed of course by the total w*nker ones!
WebmasterFF
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 152 likes

Post by WebmasterFF »

Up the Junction wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:10 am Losing to Arsenal may be terrible for West Ham, but it seems to be good for KUMB
Speak for yourself UTJ, took until this morning to be able to log in and have a gripe :lol: