Arsenal 2-0 West Ham Utd (15/12/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Re: ⚽ Arsenal vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Ironing Board »

jastons wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:39 pm Exactly what we are crying out for
Time for a cheeky bid?
wobble
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by wobble »

Reading some of the comments on here is making me just as angry as I was watching the game.
Any praise for Arsenal goes right out the window after the way the behaved.

Let’s have this straight, within the first 10 mins you knew how the game was going to go just by the way the ref was behaving. You couldn’t get near them as you knew whatever they do the ref will take their side. How is that a fair contest.

Everyone was charged up, the commentators were all for Arsenal, the players were cheating all over the place, their fans encouraging them by screaming for anything and don’t get me started on their manager. He played under Moyes for years, show a bit of respect you twat and behave yourself, he was embarrassing.

No matter how good someone is, that goes straight out the window when they start cheating.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

It was Anthony Taylor. We knew how the game would go before the opening whistle. He's a horrible official.
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:21 pm :thup:

We were still in the game with a few minutes to go, in spite of ten men, in spite of fielding a reserve defence (Coufal was benched until a game or two ago) and in spite of our centre forward having one of the most horrendous runs of form imaginable.

For all that - 0-40, just a lot of huff'n'puff.

They won it 40-60.

We came into the game 60-70 and Taylor blunted it.

I finally sat through the last 20 today. Thought we looked decent with 10, better with Bowen up front leading something resembling a press and they had some wobbly moments with back passes from Gabriel and Tomiyasu.

Shame we conceded the second on the counter, but it felt like it was a cup final for one of the teams - and it wasn't us.

They played as well as they can with their first team, we were off it with a reserve back line, who nevertheless did pretty well
Very good post. You put it better than I could do. I'm disappointed but certainly not having a meltdown over this. The reffing was dubious to say the least. We had obvious deficiencies and yet Arsenal had to work their b*llocks off as well as employing somewhat iffy tactics (Arteta included) to beat us.
djbubbles
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 112 likes

Post by djbubbles »

We have injuries. We have players woefully out of form. Now is the time to dig in and grind out a few results. First thing we have to do imo is to swap Rice and Soucek. I love watching Rice drive forward like everyone else, but we need to get Soucek back scoring. We are missing his goals. So sorry Dec, we need you at this tough time to do the sitting in midfield
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

I did a search of 'Soucek dive' and could only find half a dozen posts. Perhaps I did the search wrong but if not, that is very Arsene Wenger of us. I have always been very proud in the fact that we are a very honest team and was certain all of the players understood this. It was very disappointing which I hope will not happen again. He seems like an honest pro so it seemed very uncharacteristic.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:03 pm I did a search of 'Soucek dive' and could only find half a dozen posts. Perhaps I did the search wrong but if not, that is very Arsene Wenger of us. I have always been very proud in the fact that we are a very honest team and was certain all of the players understood this. It was very disappointing which I hope will not happen again. He seems like an honest pro so it seemed very uncharacteristic.
Not to make an excuse but I think the fact the player had hold of his arm was what saved him.

I agree though, I don’t want to be one of those classless clubs like Arsenal who celebrate this behaviour.
WestSam
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by WestSam »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:03 pm I did a search of 'Soucek dive' and could only find half a dozen posts. Perhaps I did the search wrong but if not, that is very Arsene Wenger of us. I have always been very proud in the fact that we are a very honest team and was certain all of the players understood this. It was very disappointing which I hope will not happen again. He seems like an honest pro so it seemed very uncharacteristic.
It was completely out of character and I can only think it was frustration at the antics of the opposition...

...well I hope so, I can't remember in what order things happened. :chin:
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

I think we need a 2 or 3 reinforcements and fast, please don't hang about until the last day of the window
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

WCpete wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:59 am I don't think Antonio beats players for pace like he used to. His power was explosive but it hasn't been this season. I don't think he's regressing to the mean, I think without his pace he doesn't beat defenders like he used to. He's wearing down. Against Liverpool, Van Dijk beat him handily in a foot race where they started from the same spot in midfield. That made me take notice. Mic isn't playing with the same tools right now. Maybe he won't again. He's no spring chicken.
I disagree about his pace. I've seen him explode beyond defenders numerous times this season. One that sticks out is when one of the Man City defenders (Dias or Laporte) got booked for bringing him down. I recall another cynical foul on him too.
continental skills
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by continental skills »

FWIW I thought at the time that he'd tripped over his own feet trying to reach the ball, don't think it was a deliberate dive
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Soucek's first dive in more than a half century of games. Deserves the benefit of the doubt.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Ironing Board wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:49 pm Soucek's first dive in more than a half century.
I need to start eating more potato salad..
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

S-H wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:52 pm I need to start eating more potato salad..
His knees are holding up well!
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Ironing Board wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:49 pm Soucek's first dive in more than a half century of games. Deserves the benefit of the doubt.
I think it was a dive but certainty think it's out of character.

Edit: watched it again and maybe his calf got clipped.
Slow mo does no favours. Running at full pelt and off balance doesn't take much.

Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Doc H Ball wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:47 pm Must be said that Lacazette was excellent. One of the best performances against us I’ve seen this season.
I have to agree Doc, but it annoys the f**k out of me when players of that calibre resort to s**thousery.
Col Hammer
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Col Hammer »

His arm does get tugged a bit, so benefit of the doubt his balance may have slightly been hampered
Slightest contact and most players go over now so only matter of time before one of our boys did it..
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Another thing regarding Coufal's sending off.

To me, his foot rides over the ball; similar to Cresswell on Henderson a few weeks back. Vlad's was nowhere near as bad as that, yet Cresswell didn't even get booked.
Last edited by Eggs'n'nuts on Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Morocco Mole wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:23 pm I’ve had the hump about it all day but we’ve got to remember that we’re missing 3 of first choice back 4.

I've still got the hump about it !!
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Did anyone see what Lacazette did to Diop just before the penalty?
Diop jumps for a header and Lacazette hunches over and backs into him, but Diop goes down holding his stomach. I never saw a replay, but suspected a sneaky elbow or something.
Lacazette then peels away and gets the penalty.

Fwiw I thought it probably was a penalty (though the failure to award Dawson one at Burnley makes me wonder), but not a yellow card. Coufal was favourite to get the ball, but made a mess of it, and caught Lacazette with the follow through without properly clearing the ball. It wasn't reckless, desperate, deliberate, cynical or a goal-scoring opportunity.

Why didn't Lacazette have to go off after receiving treatment? He was allowed to stay on and take the penalty - which happened to work out well for us , but still...

And speaking of elbows, just after Coufal's laughable first booking (which involved obvious play acting), Antonio received a double elbow to the face from (I think) Thomas but nothing from the well-placed ref, VAR nor any retrospective action just as all the other incidents this season.
Could have been Gabriel, as I seem to think he was leading a charmed life that game too.