West Ham Utd 2-0 Norwich City (12/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

stammer
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Norwich City: rescheduled match thread

Post by stammer »

sendô wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:54 am
Just an aside, but I no idea why a penalty was not given for Krul wrestling Vlasic to the floor. I'm not sure why keepers get given carte blanche to do what they want in the 6 yard box. VAR didnt over turn it, and Tony Gale on Super Sport thought there was nothing doing claiming "six of one, half a dozen of the other", even though Vlasic literally just stood there whilst Krul got him in a head lock and dragged him to the ground.
I struggle to think of many ( any ) penalties given for the keeper wrestling outfield players. Maybe once the precedent is set then there would be an avalanche, maybe it is an unwritten counterpoint to the latter day prevalent jostling of keepers that all teams set out to do, to unsettle the keeper, though Vlasic was very passive here.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:00 pm What a very strange post

We have just won 2-0, with Diop having a decent game (less shaky than Dawson) and MAsuaku being on for 15 minutes and getting an assist - and this is all you can say about the match? Bizarre
It seems like it's something to say to pad out match analysis sometimes. Very easy to moan at Diop and Masuaku every week. Diop was fine last night, no issues at all. Masuaku came on and got an assist. Not a match for either of them to be given negatives about. Diop played some nice forward passes aswell, but haven't really seen those mentioned, just that he was 'shaky' which is strange.

Coufal and Cresswell being back is absolutely massive for us.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Ask yourself the question - if an outfield player did that, would it be a penalty? Obviously the answer is yes, so why is it different for the keeper?

Krul has made no attempt to play the ball or even get near to the ball. He's simply decided he didn't want Vlasic stood where he was, and so wrapped his arms around him and threw him to the floor.

It's as clear a penalty as you are ever likely to see.
stammer
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by stammer »

sendô wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:39 am Ask yourself the question - if an outfield player did that, would it be a penalty? Obviously the answer is yes, so why is it different for the keeper?

Krul has made no attempt to play the ball or even get near to the ball. He's simply decided he didn't want Vlasic stood where he was, and so wrapped his arms around him and threw him to the floor.

I could not agree more, which begs the question as to what other subconscious criteria is being applied in those instances
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I suppose GK get a little more leeway as having an attacker standing in front of you blocking you off is never going to be given as a foul so they have to take action to move them out of the way

Personally i don't think 'it is cricket' that the attacking team stations someone in front of the keeper, so happy for the keeper to chuck them out of the way
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:35 am It seems like it's something to say to pad out match analysis sometimes. Very easy to moan at Diop and Masuaku every week. Diop was fine last night, no issues at all. Masuaku came on and got an assist. Not a match for either of them to be given negatives about. Diop played some nice forward passes aswell, but haven't really seen those mentioned, just that he was 'shaky' which is strange.

Coufal and Cresswell being back is absolutely massive for us.
Not that I've said anything negative about him in this match but I agree he did make some very good forward passes yesterday which surprised me a bit as his distribution in other recent matches has been a little iffy. Dawsons distribution last night was shaky as usual.

I think people perceive him (Diop) to be worse than he is simply because of the way he carries himself. Some players... Dawson for example... carry themselves with authority. They look confident and give the impression of solidity. Diop on the other hand... I can't help but think that he often looks like a rabbit caught in headlights and always looks slightly uncomfortable - no matter how good or bad a game he's having. I think this does affect how people see them.

He is **** in the air though and can't read a high cross to save his life.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

stammer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:34 am I struggle to think of many ( any ) penalties given for the keeper wrestling outfield players. Maybe once the precedent is set then there would be an avalanche, maybe it is an unwritten counterpoint to the latter day prevalent jostling of keepers that all teams set out to do, to unsettle the keeper, though Vlasic was very passive here.
Vlasic does move into Krul and blocks him.
Enough to impede him? Enough to concede a free kick? Does that exonerate Krul's OTT reaction / physical assault?
Evidently so.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 467 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

sendô wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:39 am Ask yourself the question - if an outfield player did that, would it be a penalty? Obviously the answer is yes, so why is it different for the keeper?

Spot on, and there's a big difference between giving someone a little shove and doing what Krul did last night. It's as clear a penalty as you can get and I'm amazed it didn't get called by VAR.

Vlasic did nothing wrong, Krul fouled him, clear penalty
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Think 1 player who has gone under the radar in this game is Fornals.
The glorious bowen chance in the first few mins... slotted in by fornals.
The bowen dink which hit the bar...
fed by fornals.
The antonio chance where he spins the defender...
Fed by fornals
Bowen hitting the post after defected shot (half chance)...
Fed by fornals.

The understanding between bowen and fornals really is quality and how he didn’t have a couple of assists yesterday was criminal.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:16 pm Think 1 player who has gone under the radar in this game is Fornals.
The bowen dink which hit the bar...
fed by fornals.
The antonio chance where he spins the defender...
Fed by fornals
Bowen hitting the post after defected shot (half chance)...
Fed by fornals.

The understanding between bowen and fornals really is quality and how he didn’t have a couple of assists yesterday was criminal.
IMO we play better attacking football when Fornals is playing instead of Benrahma
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:42 am I suppose GK get a little more leeway as having an attacker standing in front of you blocking you off is never going to be given as a foul so they have to take action to move them out of the way

Personally i don't think 'it is cricket' that the attacking team stations someone in front of the keeper, so happy for the keeper to chuck them out of the way
Except the game isn't cricket, it's football, and if attackers positioning themselves to block the run of a defender for set pieces is an accepted part of the game, then why not for goalkeepers too?

Is Vlasic not entitled to stand still in the 6 yard box? What part of him not moving constitutes him committing an offence? Why could Krul not simply step to one side and then go around him?
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Georgee Paris wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:25 am It was a poxy atmosphere - completely flat. I think we will be more up against it against Leeds and hopefully that’ll spark a bit more response from our crowd. I’m not optimistic though.
It wasn’t that bad. Would’ve been exactly the same at Upton Park. Norwich at home just isn’t going to get a crowd going.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

BigFatSam wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:29 pm It wasn’t that bad. Would’ve been exactly the same at Upton Park. Norwich at home just isn’t going to get a crowd going.
You're exactly right. Now we are massive we don't get excited about routinely beating no-hopers. Almost a training match last night. I didn't even jump up when we scored!
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

DOUBLE POST
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

I think it's always the case that no matter how well you are doing every team always seems to have at least one pantomime villain.
It's like people make their minds up that this person or that person is rubbish and in an attempt to justify their comments they look for every single mistake this player makes and shout 'I told you so!' as loud as you can.
Confirmation bias as it were
Am not saying that Masuaku is a world beater, for me he is nothing more then a squad player that can liven up a game with 20 or so minutes to go. The vilification of him is sad in a way, I was sat there yesterday when he came on to a little booing, bloke behind me nicknamed him the kitman and was so pleased with his joke that be repeated it every time Arthur got near the ball. There were ironic cheers when he made a successful pass or interception and the usual abuse ensued when he didn't (especially with one cross near the end that went hopelessly wrong). No acknowledgement at all for his part in the second goal.
I have said it before on here that I am convinced that quite a few people go to football matches just to moan and to point out players mistakes rather then any positives. It's up to them I suppose and you pay your money and you can do what you like, I just don't get how anyone can get pleasure out of this negativity.

As for Diop, think he had a fair game yesterday and has been doing well, we aren't leaking goals and he has to be a big part of that.
How anyone can hope that we never see him or Masuaku in a West Ham shirt again is beyond me.

Special mention from me for Pablo Fornals who to me was outstanding last night, despite apparently not being a favourite of Moyes anymore. (according to something I read on here yesterday).
Thought the team showed some classy passing and movement yesterday as well.
kentishiron
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by kentishiron »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:16 pm Think 1 player who has gone under the radar in this game is Fornals.
I hate to be that person but it was actually Lanzini who played the lovely ball into Bowen for that early chance.

However, I agree that Fornals was excellent in the second half yesterday after a sub par first half
steps
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

The stick Masuaku (and Yarmolenko) get is beyond tedious and tiring. Some fellas behind where I sit get on their backs constantly whether they’re on the pitch or not. I’m not a massive fan of Masuaku’s defensive abilities but he’s pretty good on the ball and has a good delivery.

They weren’t getting on his back when he shanked that ball into the net against Chelsea. They probably weren’t getting on Yarmo’s either when he scored against Rapid Vienna.

Not sure why utility players can’t be respected for the roles they do.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Norwich City
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136616
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Now I’m getting 2002 flashbacks.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Up the Junction wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:55 pm The opposition view: Norwich City
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136616
I would normally take great pleasure in reading the OV..

However..

I just feel sorry for them..