West Ham Utd 2-0 Norwich City (12/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Norwich City: rescheduled match thread

Post by k-r-c »

S-H wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:19 amWatford?
Fair point - but although they were not great thought Norwich were on a different level of ****.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Coufal’s best game in a while. Been decent past 3/4 games now so hopefully he’s turned a leaf over the poor form.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

should have been more but the good news we are winning easily and creating a lot of chances. bowen could easily had 4 on his own last night.

diop looked shaky at times and dawson is running out of steam but is 100%

cress back to the team took a while to get going but by the end he looked good. hopefully no reaction to the game and can start on sunday.

coufal looked better but the ball down the line was cut out a lot by williams last night.

we needed to move the ball quicker and we seemed to be in 2nd gear with many gears to go through. occasionally went up to 3 and played some nice stuff.

antonio was my main worry as looked knackered; IF only we had another striker to give him some rest and competition
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

BobbyMooreLower wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:31 am Lot of people saying we were off the boil.

Bowen could’ve had 5 goals by himself! Antonio has to score the chance he had and if lanzini had his shooting boots he could’ve helped himself to a goal or two.

Another day we score 4/5/6 out of those chances yesterday
It's not just about chances though is it. What about possession, passing, coordination with other players, constructing moves, breaking down the opposition?

we were very patchy last night and it was clear that we missed soucek in some of that, particularly his presence on corners both defending and attacking and breaking down the opposition. we were guilty last night of often trying to overdo it, like trying to score arsenal goals with a tap in after each player in the team having had a touch. Then if we weren't doing that it it was poor finishing.

not having a go. We won and job done but i think we did miss a bit of doing the basics ok
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

agree we missed soucek a lot. rice had to sit deeper and not go forward so much as he was surrounded by AM . lanzini vlasic fornals dont offer much ball winning in midfield. hope soucek is back on sunday as we will need to compete more in midfield. leeds have had a weeks rest whilst we continue to run on fumes. win this and we will be sitting pretty in 4th with man utd next up .
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:04 am I have been saying for more than a few games we are slightly off it. We know that we will turn up for Man U (well 99.9% sure as we usually do for the big boys), so are we now as a team in that place that we can take the foot off a bit in these games and get through for the 3 points??? Sounds a bit spursy and I don't believe that to be the case at all, just a different angle on our performance(s).

To add to that, when similar/lower position in the league sides are playing us they know we are not a soft touch anymore, a little pressure is added as they know they need to be on it more and that has a detrimental effect for some players and they snatch at chances??

It's January, we are 4th, I know some teams have 2/3 games to catch up, but we are where we are on merit, even with me saying (and a few) that we are slightly off it presently. Just a different viewpoint.
And yet we hit the woodwork twice, had a goal chalked off because it was "our turn", two normally reliable players missed a couple of decent chances a piece and we were deny two stonewall pens? Put half those away and we win 5-0. Maybe we click in front of goal on Sunday when I doubt we will get so many chances.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Overall I was entertained and thought we played very well. Some of our football was sublime. Only thing missing for me was being a bit more clinical in front of goal. Its not the sort of game for Antonio, where you need an expert lock picker rather than muscle. To be fair to Norwich I thought they defended pretty well throughout. Lanzini, Vlasic, Fornals and Bowen are a formidable combination with Rice pulling the strings. Nice to see Creswell back.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

I thought our game suffered a bit from the sheer mismatch of the two sides.

We excel when teams come at us a bit and we bash them up in transition and on the counter. We did it against Liverpool, and against lesser teams that decide to play that away against us, that's usually when we are able to show our ruthless best.

Norwich were so poor that there were no real battles to be won and transitions to be had. No real counter attacking to be done because there weren't the typical 50/50s or breaks of the ball where Rice, Fornals and Bowen could steam forward and rip a defence apart. Instead it was just... easy to have the ball. And to be honest, that's not really where we are at our best. We still won comfortably because we are much better than Norwich, and we did create enough to score 4 or 5 on another night, but we are much better playing quickly into open spaces than to spend 90 minutes picking the lock of an inferior team.

Professional win in the end, but that in my opinion is why it perhaps wasn't the most barnstorming of performances.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Estuary wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:34 am And yet we hit the woodwork twice, had a goal chalked off because it was "our turn", two normally reliable players missed a couple of decent chances a piece and we were deny two stonewall pens? Put half those away and we win 5-0. Maybe we click in front of goal on Sunday when I doubt we will get so many chances.
I get all that Estuary, December is a tough month for pretty much every team, lots of games etc. I am effin delighted where we are, where we appear to be heading, this team is one of the best "teams" I have seen for years. Just trying to analyse where we are at I guess, turning up at our place every other week and feeling positive is a strange feeling.... :D
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Good solid win, dominating the game whilst barely getting out of second gear. A couple of goals scored and a clean sheet with lots of chances created, plus a world class save from Fabianski.

On another day we might have had a cricket score.

Just an aside, but I no idea why a penalty was not given for Krul wrestling Vlasic to the floor. I'm not sure why keepers get given carte blanche to do what they want in the 6 yard box. VAR didnt over turn it, and Tony Gale on Super Sport thought there was nothing doing claiming "six of one, half a dozen of the other", even though Vlasic literally just stood there whilst Krul got him in a head lock and dragged him to the ground.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

we created a lot of chances but there were spells when we got very lethargic and somewhat complacent and Norwich created a fair bit of space around the edge of our box. A better team would have made more of their opportunities

For all of our dominance, it took a very very good save from Fab to stop it being 1-1 with 15 to go

we defo need to be more ruthless at times. The top teams would have stuck 5 past Norwich last night
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

hammerman11 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:33 am agree we missed soucek a lot. rice had to sit deeper and not go forward so much as he was surrounded by AM . lanzini vlasic fornals dont offer much ball winning in midfield. hope soucek is back on sunday as we will need to compete more in midfield. leeds have had a weeks rest whilst we continue to run on fumes. win this and we will be sitting pretty in 4th with man utd next up .
Vlasic and Fornals both attempted as many tackles as Rice last night. Fornals matched his 2/3 success rate, as well. Lanzini intercepted once, Rice not at all. All according to WhoScored.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

The score flattered Norwich. We should have had a penalty and the offside was harsh. We also hit the post twice. One of those early shots goes in and it could have ended up being a cricket score IMO.

It was great seeing Cresswell back, Bowen and Rice were both fantastic, Coufal seemed back old his old self.
I know Norwich are **** but you can only beat the team in front of you and we never looked like doing anything but winning from the start.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

BigFatSam wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:26 am Coufal’s best game in a while. Been decent past 3/4 games now so hopefully he’s turned a leaf over the poor form.

I don't think it was poor form he was coming back from a nasty rupture injury and needed a few games to get back to his high standard
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

BigFatSam wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:26 am Coufal’s best game in a while. Been decent past 3/4 games now so hopefully he’s turned a leaf over the poor form.
Yep, although some of his deliveries into the box were poor. Once that gets back to normal he will be fully back.

Masuaku, who gets slaughtered for his delivery at times, played a peach of a ball in for the second goal

I though Norwich were dreadful. Last time they were up they were weak but played some decent stuff, now they are just weak
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Billy Hunt wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:09 am
I though Norwich were dreadful. Last time they were up they were weak but played some decent stuff, now they are just weak
Agree there Billy; their 'defending' for both our goals was atrocious.

If I had been a Norwich fan and made the effort to get to aways, I would have been really let down by them. No fight - which is strange for a team coached by Dean Smith.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

It was a poxy atmosphere - completely flat. I think we will be more up against it against Leeds and hopefully that’ll spark a bit more response from our crowd. I’m not optimistic though.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:15 am Lanziini (biased as my favourite) did ok but a fair few misplaced passes.
Fornals horrendous first half as every pass missed the target, but much better second half. Dwcent enough squad player performance.
Vlasic poor. You can look hard to find anything good but reality is he has hustle bustle but no pace and doesn't affect the game. Flop signing.
Vlasic created a major chance, and arguably should have had two penalties (granted you cant count Krul's insanity as him "winning" one)
Fornals created the most chances in the game, most key passes, most passes in the final third. Horrendous first half included multiple threaded balls that basically no one else in the squad is capable of consistently.
Lanzini most passes, third highest pass completion.
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Could've been 5 last night but all in all I'm happy with the 3 points and everyone seemed to come through it unscathed. West Ham of old would've dominated the game, missed those chances and then let Norwich in and we hang on for a draw after defending for the last 10. Very much looking forward to Zouma being back though.

Got to feel for the Norwich away fans though. We're probably their cloest away match - still 100 miles and 2 hours on the train. Imagine going to every away match and seeing your team nilled almost week in week out.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:54 am we created a lot of chances but there were spells when we got very lethargic and somewhat complacent and Norwich created a fair bit of space around the edge of our box. A better team would have made more of their opportunities

For all of our dominance, it took a very very good save from Fab to stop it being 1-1 with 15 to go

we defo need to be more ruthless at times. The top teams would have stuck 5 past Norwich last night
We do need to start finishing these games off. Both Leeds and Norwich could have stolen a draw/nicked a goal when we let the game drift. Seems to happen near the 65/70th minute mark when we havent got the second.

But we did create the chances yesterday, more so than against Leeds. Both Antonio and Bowen should have scored in that second half spell, and Bowen missed two very good chances on his way to a great performance otherwise. It happens, no one scores them all, but a ruthless touch does need to come.