CCQF: Tottenham 2-1 West Ham Utd (22/12/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Re: ⚽ Tottenham v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Humbug »

The 1st goal was Lanzini and Rice's fault , ball watching and not tracking the run of Højbjerg. Diop got drawn in to try and intercept the pass into the box and also left a big gap for a one-two-three between Højbjerg and Bergwijn. Poor defending all round to be honest but we had lots of headed chances to score from Soucek and Dawson. Soucek and Lanzini frustrate me in midfield because the former is too slow on the ball while the latter avoids tackling for some reason and is far too easily knocked off the ball.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

The pull back has nothing to do with it. Its about the final 'forward' touch of the Spurs player whereby Moura strikes it and the other Spurs player is quite clearly in an offside position and interfering with play. VAR would have found it very difficult not to give offside and Spurs (and Sky) would have been raising merry hell had it been them.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Vic_Watson wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:03 pm He must have really knobbly knees.
Not really; the line we're looking at is 6" wide. The very back of Diop's heel is right on the edge of it.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Humbug wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:34 pm The 1st goal was Lanzini and Rice's fault , ball watching and not tracking the run of Højbjerg. Diop got drawn in to try and intercept the pass into the box and also left a big gap for a one-two-three between Højbjerg and Bergwijn. Poor defending all round to be honest but we had lots of headed chances to score from Soucek and Dawson. Soucek and Lanzini frustrate me in midfield because the former is too slow on the ball while the latter avoids tackling for some reason and is far too easily knocked off the ball.
It was actually a pretty good goal. Nice passing and moving. Like to see more of that from us rather than Benrahma just blasting it against the first defender's shins.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

pezza20 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:21 pmAs for their second, it was on side as the balls as initially pulled back.
Being behind the ball and cutback applies to Moura, but the player ahead of him (Begwign? Reguilon?) is in an offside position when he shoots, as shown.
Is that player active? Well he runs towards Areola, gets between Areola and the ball which passes behind him, and there is physical contact between the two players as Areola tries to get across to save it.

It was a tight call, and pre-VAR it's decision that ManU, Man C, Chelsea, Liverpool would get, but not anyone else.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

If that was a match covered by VAR, that goal would have had to be reviewed, surely?

I've got over going out fairly quickly, having seen not just the next opponents, but also the date of those games.

But still think they got away with a lucky break with that goal.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:34 pm Being behind the ball and cutback applies to Moura, but the player ahead of him (Begwign? Reguilon?) is in an offside position when he shoots, as shown.
Is that player active? Well he runs towards Areola, gets between Areola and the ball which passes behind him, and there is physical contact between the two players as Areola tries to get across to save it.

It was a tight call, and pre-VAR it's decision that ManU, Man C, Chelsea, Liverpool would get, but not anyone else.
Well, maybe Spurs would!
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

WCpete wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:10 pm Dec’s far too good for us now, btw.
Pete, that sounds like a West Ham fan from 2016, talking about Payet..
And that was probably accurate, at the time.
Right now, we're perfect for Dec & he's perfect for us, imo.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1161 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Samba wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:23 am Pete, that sounds like a West Ham fan from 2016, talking about Payet..
And Brooking in the seventies.
👍
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

Samba wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:23 am Pete, that sounds like a West Ham fan from 2016, talking about Payet..
My fear with Rice is that he may look at our more recent team selections and the fact we haven't got a big enough squad and feel disheartened.
There is only so far you can carry a team.
We should have invested wisely in the Summer to protect him.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

mushy wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:11 am My fear with Rice is that he may look at our more recent team selections and the fact we haven't got a big enough squad and feel disheartened.
There is only so far you can carry a team.
We should have invested wisely in the Summer to protect him.
Older fans have been through this before. Moore, Hurst and Peters had to play with a lot of dross in the late sixties and the 85/86 team was left to rot in the following seasons. More recently of course we have the failure to reinforcr decent teams in January windows.
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

I think some would just like Rice to go so that they could say "I told you he would go". Hes still got a decent amount of time left on his deal, playing for a side that is in the EL knockout stages, 5th in the Prem and slap bang in the fight for CL football. He obviously loves it here and for once, we look like a side heading in the right direction. A very good coaching set up, the youth set up is going great guns and we have a new owner on the horizon. This isnt the old West Ham now. A bit of intent in the forthcoming windows will show where we are. Lets see how things pan out over the next few month or so. I wouldnt be shocked to see him sign a new deal.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:34 pm Being behind the ball and cutback applies to Moura, but the player ahead of him (Begwign? Reguilon?) is in an offside position when he shoots, as shown.

The second goal reminded me of a poster on here's user name..... Sammy Lee was Offside.

The Sp*rs goal was not quite as clear cut as that day perhaps, but for me he's in the keeper's eyeline.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Declan is the acid test of where we're at.

Moore would have gone after '66 had contracts been different, we sold Frank then TC after '85/6, lost a golden generation and most recently it was Dimi.

STB is the only one I can think of who could've gone to a top club and opted not to, which is why he's so loved.

Next is Rice. It must be a bittersweet thing for the owners - they've got one of the best players in the world for nowt but have to spent hundreds of millions to keep him. I just hope they f*** off before he does.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Have you seen The Guardian's list of the World's Top 100 footballers? Declan's at no. 59. Part of the write up from Jacob Steinberg says "It is no wonder that so many top sides want to sign Rice". Git.

Hilariously, Harry Kane is at No. 15 ....
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:59 am Have you seen The Guardian's list of the World's Top 100 footballers? Declan's at no. 59. Part of the write up from Jacob Steinberg says "It is no wonder that so many top sides want to sign Rice". Git.

Hilariously, Harry Kane is at No. 15 ....
I was sent a link to that this morning.

Talk about an advert for UEFA selling their "product".