CCQF: Tottenham 2-1 West Ham Utd (22/12/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Re: ⚽ Tottenham v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by prophet:marginal »

Their first bore quite the similarity with Lanzini's at OT; the defence just confused by the speed of the movement around it.

Diop has picked up from Cress the mantle of over-reacting as if its all someone else's fault.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I was disappointed that Noble didnt play a part.

He's been influential in the other wins in the tournament.

With Lanzini bringing little to the game he could have played alongside the other two Mids and would have been better cover for Masuaku.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

I thought we played okay and deserved a draw, even more so considering we had a few reserves out.

Diop is the Stones of defenders, good on the ball, looks classy, loves a brain fart and that causes goals, Masaku please ship off, was good to see Soucek in dangerous positions again. Disappointing when Benhrama and Yarna came on they had a couple of chances to shoot or put a good cross in but didn't deliever the required quality
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

i think the thing that has struck me is we lose an awful lot of balance to the side when cresswell is out. so over the last few matches.
Its not just that he is good is the only reason we miss him, which is why we really need to go for someone like digne so that we don't lose that balance when either is out.
Masuaku is not a left back
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

fmgod wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:25 am Was good to see Soucek in dangerous positions again.
It does make you wonder if signing a defensive midfielder (one we actually want to play) is an alternative/dark horse position to strengthen in January to improve things.

We need some extra goals from somewhere and Soucek is a proven avenue if he's allowed to get forward. I don't think Moyes is going to be able to convince Rice to spend his time sitting in front of the defence anymore (nor should he really) so switching the 'Lanzini position' in the XI for a more defensive midfielder and allowing them both a little more latitude to roam could help the balance in both attack and defence.
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

kitthehammer wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:31 am i think the thing that has struck me is we lose an awful lot of balance to the side when cresswell is out. so over the last few matches.
Its not just that he is good is the only reason we miss him, which is why we really need to go for someone like digne so that we don't lose that balance when either is out.
Masuaku is not a left back
We are a much poorer side without Cresswell. If he is going to be out for a while then we desperately need a left back (johnson is ok, but continuously has to cut back inside. much better on the right). Arsenal and Spurs exploited our left and ultimately it cost us the game(s). We can talk about a striker (and we do need one) but lb is vital also. I also think its no coincidence Diop is looking more shaky with Cresswell out.
honkytonk

Post by honkytonk »

Aceface wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:40 am It does make you wonder if signing a defensive midfielder (one we actually want to play) is an alternative/dark horse position to strengthen in January to improve things.

We need some extra goals from somewhere and Soucek is a proven avenue if he's allowed to get forward. I don't think Moyes is going to be able to convince Rice to spend his time sitting in front of the defence anymore (nor should he really) so switching the 'Lanzini position' in the XI for a more defensive midfielder and allowing them both a little more latitude to roam could help the balance in both attack and defence.
Or we could just give Kral some game time. Just sitting providing cover, allowing Soucek and Rice to push forward. At the moment, Rice is the only player we have who seems capable of driving forward and creating space (Wish he would do it more)
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Aceface wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:37 am Oddest thing about last night was that it felt like Arthur had twice as many touches as anyone else on the pitch, which can only have been deliberate on our part. Did they think he was Toni Kroos or something?
Probably because although his final ball wasn't great yesterday except for the cross to Bowen, he is the best player at getting us up the pitch with quick one touch passing
He won us quite a few corners, which in the main were poorly delivered
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

honkytonk wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:45 am Or we could just give Kral some game time. Just sitting providing cover, allowing Soucek and Rice to push forward. At the moment, Rice is the only player we have who seems capable of driving forward and creating space (Wish he would do it more)
Yes, this is not a bad idea
It may seem illogical that adding a DM midfielder would improve our attacking but it might
We would need to abandon the counter attack though and play a possession

Trouble is, i don't think Soucek is good enough on the ball to play further forward. his main skill is running into the box from very deep, not playing between the lines
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Cresswell's stock has risen on this thread today. :chin:
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

It's become noticeable over time that Soucek, along with Fornals, is one of the two players Moyes most likes to use as tactical pawns to change things up. Moving them about on the chessboard as it were to generate different outcomes. It's another reason a bit of a shift in our midfield structure could generate some outsize returns. It's not as if how he's being used at the moment is working to the maximum advantage anyway.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:52 am Cresswell's stock has risen on this thread today. :chin:
All players get better the longer they are out.

Site rules.
honkytonk

Post by honkytonk »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:52 am Cresswell's stock has risen on this thread today. :chin:
Not just today, he has been excellent for a while. That is even more noticeable when he is missing (and the drop of in quality with his cover)
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 460 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

prophet:marginal wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:29 am Thanks to the highlights, I am increasingly confused about how the second Spurs goal stood. The player on the scoresheet is fine, but he practically plays the ball through the legs of a team-mate who is offside and directly blocking our keeper's sight of the scorer.
Thought that at the time. We didn't appear to make much fuss about it TBF.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

It’s the Dean Ashton laws of football
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

I’m amazed how the Spurs fans are cockahoop (pun intended) with this win. They seem totally shameless in their tactics of parking the bus in the second half against a team of our reserve players. Not a mention of their goal being offside or how we peppered Lloris with him pulling off some fantastic saves.

I even got sent a video clip for a Spurs mate of their fans celebrating singing “West Ham get battered” outside the ground. Quite staggering how the mighty has fallen. I thought their tactics were embarrassing quite frankly.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

steps wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:03 pm I’m amazed how the Spurs fans are cockahoop (pun intended) with this win. They seem totally shameless in their tactics of parking the bus in the second half against a team of our reserve players. Not a mention of their goal being offside or how we peppered Lloris with him pulling off some fantastic saves.

I even got sent a video clip for a Spurs mate of their fans celebrating singing “West Ham get battered” outside the ground. Quite staggering how the mighty has fallen. I thought their tactics were embarrassing quite frankly.
They have just won their cup final.
honkytonk

Post by honkytonk »

I said when he joined them that Conte wont last long, Ive not changed my mind. He has generally had a very easy start with a nice little break to go with it. They binned off Mourinho as he was "boring", brought in Nuno who is boring, binned him off and brought in Conte who is boring. I give it till this time next season.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

honkytonk wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:31 pm I said when he joined them that Conte wont last long, Ive not changed my mind. He has generally had a very easy start with a nice little break to go with it. They binned off Mourinho as he was "boring", brought in Nuno who is boring, binned him off and brought in Conte who is boring. I give it till this time next season.
Rinse and repeat,so Spursy
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Can’t believe there’s no mention in the media of how dodgy their second goal was.