CCQF: Tottenham 2-1 West Ham Utd (22/12/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Re: ⚽ Tottenham v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Denbighammer »

PF. wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:15 am That was probably our chance of Nobes lifting some silverware in his swansong.
Agreed. I can't understand people saying they aren't bothered about this. I'm absolutely gutted.

Spurs have quite obviously cheated the covid rules, they looked so much fresher than us, yet we still created more and apart from two bits of pretty limp defending, I thought we bossed the game.

The properly targeted Diop and Masuaku and that's where they had their success.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Ultimately Carabao got what they wanted. The Spuds, Chelsea, Liverpool and The Gooners are the remaining teams.

They must of been having kittens when we knocked the 2 Manchester clubs out.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Denbighammer wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:39 am Agreed. I can't understand people saying they aren't bothered about this.
I'm not sure people aren't bothered by going out, I think it's just a case that the way we played, given what we were up against and the team we put out, it's not one you can be too angry with. We had them sitting back and defending for almost a half and their goalkeeper keeping them in it at times. Probably wasn't loads more we could've done, other than defend better, but then our best back 4 wasn't available.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

funky chicken wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:43 am Ultimately Carabao got what they wanted. The Spuds, Chelsea, Liverpool and The Gooners are the remaining teams.

They must of been having kittens when we knocked the 2 Manchester clubs out.
Weird post of the day goes too......
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

Disappointing.

Positives
Vlasic was decent first half and showed some promise. Didn't attempt to dominate the game but his best game by far. Shouldn't have been subbed.
Dawson was again far and away our best defender. He's not Van Dijk but a decent sighing who, although prone to an error, is a good old fashioned CH.
Rice was below average first half but had an amazing second half. Exceptional second half.
Bowen did well. Great goal. I wish Moyes would let him just play like an old fashioned number 9, only within the width of the penalty area and limited defensive responsibility, rather than have him chase here, there and everywhere using his energy in the wrong places.

Negatives
Johnson, IMO, is not and never will be a PL player. Appalling in possession and average/below average out of it.
Diop, IMO, is never a PL footballer, Absolutely no football IQ and always in the wrong starting position. In possession he is terrible, from the Benjamin Mendy school of comfort on the ball.
Massuaku I will stay quiet except say Sunday league performance.
Areola should have done better second goal and is not for me. Makes the easy look hard and a mistake or two every game.
Lanzini was semi responsible for both their goals. Poor.

Dominated second half but not sure how much of that was down to Conte deciding to play for a 2 - 1 from the 46th minute.
Conte love in way, way, over the top. They will win more, run about more and be more organised but what horrendous football to watch. Spurs fans will be moaning about the football in 12 months, if he's still there.
Oh yeah. Absolutely cant stand his FAKE passion. totally for the cameras. Been there 5 minutes and acting like he's supported them forever. Yeah, right.

Felt this was a big game to lose in context of the season, not just this cup.
Last edited by Turtlecharityracer on Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:54 am Weird post of the day goes too......
Care to elaborate?

Oh, and it’s ‘to’. :newthumb:
Last edited by funky chicken on Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:54 am Weird post of the day goes too......
It's all a conspiracy maaaan!!!
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

And I thought that Kane was appalling last night and has been for a long time,doubt very much if he will get his move soon.
Long may it continue.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

The level of cheating on display from that Tottenham side was abhorrent.

I honestly couldn't stand having Conte here, playing for 2-1 for the entirety of the 2nd half, Kane taking his boot off, then retying his shoe lace just to waste time, then the referee only adds 3 minutes?!

Absolute joke of officiating. Multiple Tottenham players getting away with niggly fouls all game, yet the 4th official books Bowen.

Honestly the officiating in this country is putting me off of football.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:11 am The level of cheating on display from that Tottenham side was abhorrent.
They were **** at it though. We still had 2 chances at 92+. I think generally we wasted the last 10 minutes more than they did. A silly offside, some stupid passes to nowhere. However, I don't disagree. Just don't think it really did too much to us when we were playing well, which was most of the game tbf.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:11 am The level of cheating on display from that Tottenham side was abhorrent.
That is harsh Bubbles. A lot of pantos have been cancelled due to Covid so I thought it was a nice touch for the Spurs players to give the kids 90 minutes of AmDram to fill the void...
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Oldun wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:09 am And I thought that Kane was appalling last night and has been for a long time,doubt very much if he will get his move soon.
Long may it continue.
He has also developed the whinging snidey Spurs disease , moaning and just generally being a ****.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:38 am Strange feeling after the final whistle, wasn't that bothered :eh: I have no idea why,
As said beforehand, it's only the Carabao Cup.

It isn't the league cup of old where teams sent out their best XI to play Bury in round 2 - it's a competition where half the PL actively wants to be knocked out early on, and the other half uses the games to play youngsters and reserves. The Football Combination Cup.

The four teams left in it have no interest in the european 'prize' that awaits the winner.

From our perspective, there were positives;

- Ashby started. It's experience under the belt.
- Johnson got 90 minutes on his recovery to fitness.
- Fredericks fit enough to make the bench
- Vlasic had a good first 45 and showed more than he has in other games
- Soucek was back to being a real goal threat in the first half
- Bowen played at 9 and scored a peach of a goal
- We actually kept the ball quite well for most of the game - even allowing for Spurs really defensive tactics. 7 or 8 who started for us are reserves,

The negatives centre on the left side of the team's defending and the poor passing and delivery from both wing back and midfield positions.

Next game we'll probably have six senior fit defenders available (not incl Ashby) which is a big improvement . Good knows where Cresswell is.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Regardless of who plays at the back we concede q lot of goals from within about 10 yards of the goal. A simple low cross to an onrushing or unmarked player.
I don't know if this is because we give up a lot of crosses, our CBs struggle to organise or we don't get much protection from the midfield.
Probably a combination of all three but I really don't think Soucek is helping here. He is great at winning at headers but is not very good positionally when teams attack on the ground and often loses midfield runners.

Personally I think we defend better in a back four as that space between the wide CB and the WB is a problem for us

Having played CB for many years it isn't easy to transition from a back 4 to a back 5
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

I thought we were the better team and we’re unlucky to lose.

Their second goal had so much fortune to it. Literally squeezed through the tiniest gap.

The mighty spurs spent the whole second half time wasting, diving, feigning injury and committing highly fouls that the ref didn’t have the bottle to give, probably because he had Conte on the sidelines screaming at him for everything.

Still, I suppose it was their cup final.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

I can't decide whether Kane and his boot, or Hjoberg randomly falling to the floor when we were about to take a throw in was worse cheating.

Commentators called it 'good game management.' drives me mad.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:10 am I can't decide whether Kane and his boot, or Hjoberg randomly falling to the floor when we were about to take a throw in was worse cheating.

To be fair they probably need rests throughout the game due to the rampant Covid which decimated their squad for a few weeks... :think:
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:38 am Conte, another Arteta, horrible cheating c****
I am very quickly tiring of Mr Syrup and his touchline antics :thdn:
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Bottom line is not a single member of the back six players last night is first choice – and a few of them aren't even second choice. They're going to concede goals. You can lessen that effect when you're slotting them in with a few of the first choice players, but combined it's not going to regularly get you clean sheets away at half-decent teams. I don't think a deep inquest will probably unearth anything that can counter the fundamentals there. Need a few injuries to heal and a recruit or two.

Far more concerned about the attack tbh.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1161 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:10 am I can't decide whether Kane and his boot, or Hjoberg randomly falling to the floor when we were about to take a throw in was worse cheating.

I noticed this my self. One minute he’s tackled and allegedly fouled, and then for no apparent reason he takes his boot off from the leg that took no contact. The ref just wandered up and casually checked on his well being, the state of his family and whether he has plans for a 2022 holiday, subject to COVID of course, and did he have any thoughts about COVID?

Before you say bitter Spammer..my wife noticed it first and she’s not the sharpest fan in the football tool box if you know what I mean.
👍🇨🇿