CCQF: Tottenham 2-1 West Ham Utd (22/12/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Re: ⚽ Tottenham v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Bond Holder 59 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:29 am I noticed this my self. One minute he’s tackled and allegedly fouled, and then for no apparent reason he takes his boot off from the leg that took no contact. The ref just wandered up and casually checked on his well being, the state of his family and whether he has plans for a 2022 holiday, subject to COVID of course, and did he have any thoughts about COVID?

Before you say bitter Spammer..my wife noticed it first and she’s not the sharpest fan in the football tool box if you know what I mean.
👍🇨🇿
I was watching with a non-West Ham fan who was neutral before kick off and screaming for a West Ham Winner by the end due to Tottenham's theatrics.

Only three minutes added on was a shambles.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I thought the most worrying aspect about last night was young Ashby looked far more convincing in attack and even defensively than our other fullback, who is 28 years old and cost money.

On the flip side, we are well and truly ‘sorted’ at rightback with Coufal, Johnson, Fredericks and Ashby competing for that spot. Baptiste can also play there too, apparently.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

good game management by a scum 6 team , cheating by the rest of us. glad we dont do too much of it.
having taken time to digest the match my observations on the match.

we were the better team by far. undone by poor defending by our reserve defence

areola - didnt have much to do apart from picking the ball out of net twice and a kane shot across him. doubt he could do uch about second goal which would have been disallowed by VAR had we had it last night.
ashby - good match a few wayward passes but a promising start to his career. good to see another youngster added to first team squad. means we can get rid of perma crock fredericks.
dawson - another great game from the warrior. unlucky not to have scored with a header first half.
diop - a poor game from him. clearly 4th CB at the club but has to play at the moment
johnson - first game back from injury in a new position. average at best but good hes back
masuaka - the weak link and targetted by spurs throughout. I thought moyes would take him off and go to a 4 with johnson at left back, would have been better defensively. Both goals down his side. switched off several times. would rather longello plays instead of him. need to sell if we can 4m ?
rice another top performance from him.
soucek good game and so unlucky not to score at least once, returning to form
lanzini not much affect on the game. better as a sub
vlasic best game for us and unsure why he was subbed unless fatigued. hopefully finding his feet and ready to play and score more
bowen great goal and tried his best. not sure why the 4th official got him booked

fornals didnt do much
benrahma a few nearly moments
yarmolenko tried harder than normal for his 10 mins. need to sell free transfer

overall gutted we are out but maybe it will be a good thing IF we get a few quality players in and push on in the PL and EL

so not all doom and gloom however we really need a win on boxing day . 1 win in 7 games is hitting us. time to stop the rot.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

I f*cking hate Conte’s hair. It’s absolutely rank.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Oddest thing about last night was that it felt like Arthur had twice as many touches as anyone else on the pitch, which can only have been deliberate on our part. Did they think he was Toni Kroos or something?
Benaloon
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by Benaloon »

I think the real killer in that game was diop next to Masuaku on the left hand side. Diop also seemed to have no idea what he was doing in a back 5. Back 4 of johnson-diop-dawson-ashby with Fornals added in the middle and we win that.
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

Didn't think there was too much in it and the performance was reasonable. I'm not going into a pit of despond over it, the team looked a lot better than it did against Arsenal.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

HammerAl wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:36 am I f*cking hate Conte’s hair. It’s absolutely rank.
Somewhere someone's hearthrug has a hole...
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

HammerAl wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:36 am I f*cking hate Conte’s hair. It’s absolutely rank.
His hair was gone by about the mid 90s to be fair.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Bond Holder 59 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:29 am I noticed this my self. One minute he’s tackled and allegedly fouled, and then for no apparent reason he takes his boot off from the leg that took no contact. The ref just wandered up and casually checked on his well being, the state of his family and whether he has plans for a 2022 holiday, subject to COVID of course, and did he have any thoughts about COVID?

Before you say bitter Spammer..my wife noticed it first and she’s not the sharpest fan in the football tool box if you know what I mean.
👍🇨🇿
The same ref who reviewed the VAR on Sunday and thought Kane's potential leg breaker was a legitimate challenge.

Don't want to upset the England captain do we?
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

lets hope chelsea smash them in the semi
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:10 am I can't decide whether Kane and his boot, or Hjoberg randomly falling to the floor when we were about to take a throw in was worse cheating.

Commentators called it 'good game management.' drives me mad.
Funnily enough when Ashby (I think it was) threw himself to the ground, inside the penalty box during the 2nd half the commentators couldn’t call that one out quick enough. No doubt it would’ve been a different sorry if golden boy Harry Kane did it.
Sir David Sullivan
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Sir David Sullivan »

Aceface wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:37 am Oddest thing about last night was that it felt like Arthur had twice as many touches as anyone else on the pitch, which can only have been deliberate on our part. Did they think he was Toni Kroos or something?
I think it’s because Ashby and Johnson on the other side weren’t showing much attacking wise. We are notably blunter on the right without Coufal. Johnson is quite poor on the ball whereas Ashby got into the right positions but seemed a little timid with his passing, little things like under hitting passes - you’d imagine that would improve as he gets used to the level.

It’s so rare for any of Arthur’s possession to do anything though, makes that Chelsea goal all the more sweet!
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

Proud of you all in the away end, made yourselves known and sounded great from my heated seat in one of the Suite boxes :oops:

Like some on here, I was expecting us to be turned over but Spurs know they got away with that one, we easily created more chances and a draw was the least we deserved.
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

I thought we played well considering our first team back 5 were absent, if it wasn't for their keeper (who was fantastic) we would of come away with a well earned victory.. Spurs were practically full strength and they still only just squeezed over the line.
I am so proud of West Ham all the back room staff and us, the greatest supporters in world.
We are ****ing massive wherever we go! :hamm:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Thanks to the highlights, I am increasingly confused about how the second Spurs goal stood. The player on the scoresheet is fine, but he practically plays the ball through the legs of a team-mate who is offside and directly blocking our keeper's sight of the scorer.

Lloris did however play a complete blinder. Considerably better than any of his colleagues.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Aceface wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:27 am Bottom line is not a single member of the back six players last night is first choice – and a few of them aren't even second choice. They're going to concede goals. You can lessen that effect when you're slotting them in with a few of the first choice players, but combined it's not going to regularly get you clean sheets away at half-decent teams. I don't think a deep inquest will probably unearth anything that can counter the fundamentals there. Need a few injuries to heal and a recruit or two.

Far more concerned about the attack tbh.
We need a left sided CB really bad. Diop can have the occasional decent game but is generally a liability. We were lucky Son messed up when Diop failed to control an easy ball. His combination with Arthur was often putting us under pressure.

Part of the reason we struggled going forward against a packed defence second half is that neither he nor Dawson are comfortable bringing the ball out of Defence thus the continual sideways passing until Rice drops in to carry it forward.

Time on the ball is also Soucek’s biggest weakness, he is a player who needs others to supply him. As for taking Ashby off by then we had pretty much reverted to a 4 and he was being asked to play as a winger. He did well but his final attacking ball needs work. Yarmo offers a far more natural attacker out there ahead of Johnson.

Do not start me on Arthur, moments of genius surrounded by hours of dross. He will never learn to read a game well enough to make a PL defender. Lanzini had to go with his runner for the first but an alive LWB would have also read the danger and stepped across when Diop first vacated the space. It was a catalogue of errors. Going forward a couple of decent balls in but generally most were woeful, simply not good enough at this level.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Aceface wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:37 am Oddest thing about last night was that it felt like Arthur had twice as many touches as anyone else on the pitch, which can only have been deliberate on our part. Did they think he was Toni Kroos or something?
I think it's more likely it was deliberate on the part of the opposition.

Leave Masuaku as the only outlet in our half, then close him down rapidly and you know you're getting that ball straight back in a dangerous position, either in play or out for a throw-in.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

I still can't work out what Diop was doing for the first goal. Went to ground, got up again, gently jogged in the vague direction of danger, had a moan at someone else after. Is that it?

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Spurs second was offside, but them's the breaks.

I thought we gave a decent account of ourselves last night, nice to see a game featuring 3 Academy players starting, all of who did just fine.

Bowens goal was a Christmas cracker, but we simply cannot compete with dross such as Diop, Masuaku and Yarmolenko with top half of the PL clubs anymore. Bennys tail off in contribution, too, is worrying.

Ultimately we have 7 or 8 players we can count on week in week out, and a couple of those are injured currently.

Last night though saw the Rochdale cowboy boss the current England skipper for much of the game, while the next England skipper was the games leading performer.

Declan Rice, simply superb( I will forgive him the dogshit free kick).