West Ham Utd 2-3 Southampton (26/12/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd vs Southampton: match thread

Post by Vic_Watson »

stu1 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:11 am Lots of people overhyping Ashby based on a fairly average performance against Tottenham and an ok performance against a poor team in the Europa.
Average and okay are good.
Duke
Location: NW London, where the streets have no claret (except me!)
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Duke »

Is there anywhere to find the actual attendance yesterday - not the tickets sales, but those who actually came in? I know there’s a host of reasons why, I just would be interested to know. Looked no more than 40k to me.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

stu1 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:50 pm Isn’t it pretty obvious.

I’ve just explained it.

:eh:
None the wiser, I'm afraid.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4294 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Anyone else noticed how often our lot are just passing the ball out of play? They are doing it repeatedly.

Must have been more than ten times against Spurs the other night, and we either passed or ran the ball out of play twice in the first two minutes yesterday.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:22 am Anyone else noticed how often our lot are just passing the ball out of play? They are doing it repeatedly.

Must have been more than ten times against Spurs the other night, and we either passed or ran the ball out of play twice in the first two minutes yesterday.
Agreed.

Think it’s a combo of three things. Firstly, different players have impacted the set up of the team (particularly the left where Cresswell’s positioning is very reliable). Secondly, confidence - not as many options on, not as many players want the ball. Finally (and mainly), every team presses us now as they’ve seen that it’s effective against us and certain players are struggling with it resulting in rash passes.
billtho
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by billtho »

Every time they were time wasting the ref pointed at his watch yet only two minutes were added at half time...very strange...who actually does the timekeeping
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Anyone else think that Broja looks just like the kind of striker who could do well for us? Physical attributes and style of play suggest he could develop into an Arnautovic type.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Just watched the MOTD highlights and my thoughts based on those plus being there yesterday

First goal for Soton is absymal defending by us. Soucek and Rice nowhere allowing Elyounassi the freedom of the park. No one challenging Wqlkers Peters who run upended with the ball for a long way

This was followed up a couple of minutes later with Elyounassi having another great chance after being given the freedom of the park. Who was supposed to be picking him up?

Vlasic should have passed to Benhrama. It was quite a weak shot in the end which Forster would have expected to save

For their second goal, Diop clearly has a shocker getting caught goal side but Dawson didn't cover himself in glory IMHO. He should have been stronger to shoulder barge him off the ball or at least take him out

Soucek dlhqd a very poor game but put a great ball through for Bowen for our equaliser. That was a good mover overall with nice passing from the back with Arthur and Rice combining, a great ball from Soucek, a very clever cross from Bowen and great movement and finish from Benhrama

The third goal was absolutely shocking ImHO. We had just got back into it, our tails were up and then Soucek gets out muscled by a midget and gives away q terrible free kick. To compound that he gets beaten in the air by Bednarek, although not sure who Dawson was supposed to be marking.

After that we huffed and puffed but the momentum had gone. The third goal was the key as I think we would have won comfortably if we hadn't conceded that

Despite being poor first half, patlrticualty first twenty minutes, we should have won that game comfortably. Southampton offered nothing second half and we gave away silly goals due lack of focus and silly mistakes by Diop abd Soucek which scuppered our momentum

Overall I don't think we defended too bad outside of those mistakes, and I think we attacked well in the second half

The trouble was the first 30 minutes and then giving away two poor goals second half with their only two attacks

Broja is a great player though. Chelsea got another talent there and shame he decided to play for Albania given he was born in Slough!

3 points most definitely dropped against a very average Southampton side
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

steveyrockstar wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:46 am Anyone else think that Broja looks just like the kind of striker who could do well for us? Physical attributes and style of play suggest he could develop into an Arnautovic type.
+1 :newthumb:
Tezza65
Has liked: 1932 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

I don't really want to make any excuses for our results lately,but having the majority of your regular back 4 out and cramming game after game in hasn't helped us at all.

We have played constantly twice a week for the whole season and the the combination of both hasn't helped us at all.Liverpool struggled with a similar scenerio last season with their back 4 and we haven't got the resources they have?

Only Chelsea have played has many games(all competitions) as us and they have a miles better squad than us.

All the teams we are playing lately have been having rests,because of Covid and are taking advantage of us being knackered and our injuries.It's no coincidence, they have all got results against us?

At the moment,we are not on an even playing field,so why all the moaning from all social media?
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

steveyrockstar wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:46 am Anyone else think that Broja looks just like the kind of striker who could do well for us? Physical attributes and style of play suggest he could develop into an Arnautovic type.
He will be in Chelsea's first team squad next year.
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

Tezza65 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:48 am I don't really want to make any excuses for our results lately,but having the majority of your regular back 4 out and cramming game after game in hasn't helped us at all.
I don't think we are the only team with injuries.
Did Moyes think we would go through the season being able to play our first 11?
How many times did you hear Moyes state he likes a small squad at the beginning of the season?

Many have said Moyes and the coaches are great at their jobs.
They now have a £20 million CH to work with and another CH who was Moyea signing.
Shouldn't really be an issue at Ch, should there?
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:49 am He will be in Chelsea's first team squad next year.
I'd never heard of him until this season. I said he reminded me of a young Arnie, but he could even be Lukaku-esque. He's a big lad but with pace and very direct.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:12 am I don’t mind giving young players a go, but we really do tend to overrate an ok performance. Ashby was ok against Tottenham. Nothing more or less. There’s no way he should be playing before Coufal or Johnson. Okoflex hasn’t even played in the Carabao Cup or Europa League…
Completely agree. It's the same in the transfer thread: "Oko-Flex and Longelo can't be any worse than Yarmolenko or Masuaka".

The latter are two experienced internationals, Yarmolenko the top scoring Ukrainian of all time, yet people seem to think some kids who have never started a game at the top level will be as good, if not better than them.

That's not me dismissing the young boys - Moyes has shown he will give them a go when he deems the time is right - but people really need some perspective.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:58 am I don't think we are the only team with injuries.
Did Moyes think we would go through the season being able to play our first 11?
How many times did you hear Moyes state he likes a small squad at the beginning of the season?

Many have said Moyes and the coaches are great at their jobs.
They now have a £20 million CH to work with and another CH who was Moyea signing.
Shouldn't really be an issue at Ch, should there?
Ridiculous false equivalences and purposefully ignoring context.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 967 likes
Total likes: 946 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

Every time I’ve seen him play for Southampton his impressed me. When he came on against us at their place he looked good, think he skinned Ogbonna and hit the post.

I think he’d be a brilliant signing, though sure Chelsea will keep him.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

It's a bit of a gamble playing Ashby. He could be on a steep learning curve, or it could smash his confidence.
DorsetSaint
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by DorsetSaint »

Thoughts from the south coast -

Surprised at how poor some of your defending was, both sides were pretty naff in this dept tbf.

It was not a penalty. Free kick outside the box if the ref does his job, he bottled it then went the full moron.

You didn't test 'flapper forster' half enough, immobile and gets down like a slow motion lemur.

Thought our 1st & 3rd goals were ok but as many here point out marking was, um, loose.

Thought we maybe deserved the win at our place early in the season so will take the bit of luck yesterday.

It's hard to compete over a full season with the top 4 but they are not invicible despite var's attempt to make it so, get your 2nd wind and give 'em a run lads.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:47 am Broja is a great player though. Chelsea got another talent there and shame he decided to play for Albania given he was born in Slough!
They've got a pair of reverse Allardicis. Tino Livramento was born and bred in Croydon. Two of the most exotic sounding blokes in the prem sourced from England's most boring retail parks.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

steveyrockstar wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:58 am I'd never heard of him until this season. I said he reminded me of a young Arnie, but he could even be Lukaku-esque. He's a big lad but with pace and very direct.
Likewise.

I think he's the best number 9 I've seen against us all season. He was excellent as a sub at their place - led Oggy and Dawson a merry dance.