West Ham Utd 2-3 Southampton (26/12/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd vs Southampton: match thread

Post by Puff Daddy »

I don't think Mike Dean would've awarded that pen for Southampton. He would've firmer and probably would've given it the other way
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Big window ahead for us which will show where the owners want us to be. failure to spend will see us mid table or lower and the certain loss of rice and bowen in the summer plus we will no longer be an attractive option for decent players. back to the old days.
however I think we will bring in a few decent ones and our slump will stop; question is when ?

yesterday the team was flat and the crowd was flat. wonder what the attendance was 35K ? no doubt the official figure will be 59k as tickets were sold. ground looked poor like the start of our move there. time to move on and get something tomorrow
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

Like everybody said at the beginning we don't have the strength in depth to play all these games and now we are seeing it come to fruition
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Garry wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:38 am Like everybody said at the beginning we don't have the strength in depth to play all these games and now we are seeing it come to fruition
... and it doesn't end here either. We play again a couple of days after this one as well
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

We were crap in the first half
The ref was crap all game
Travel to and from the game was a joke
District line train I was on has been renamed the Omicron express.

Nice to get out the house though

Onto the next game
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2358 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

stu1 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:16 pm The problem is every opposing players knows this and he doesn’t have the pace the work half a yard, so players just show him overly onto his right which renders him ineffective.

Yarmo is done as an athlete who can play in a league as fast as the prem.
Of course he is done mentally now
He has played pretty well in Europa League but knows he is nowhere near the league team except for 10 minutes here and there.
Not surprising his motivation has dropped

Having said that, I would start him tomorrow up top with Bowen and Antonio with Fornals, soucek and noble behind
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

rather give oxoflex a go than yarmolenko, can he be any worse ?
also ashby needs to come in
longello needs to be added to the squad rather than the clown masuaka
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

I don’t mind giving young players a go, but we really do tend to overrate an ok performance. Ashby was ok against Tottenham. Nothing more or less. There’s no way he should be playing before Coufal or Johnson. Okoflex hasn’t even played in the Carabao Cup or Europa League…
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:26 am People on here kept saying King was crap when I suggested we sign him!
Same, it was a no brainier in my eyes, especially on a free.
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:12 am I don’t mind giving young players a go, but we really do tend to overrate an ok performance. Ashby was ok against Tottenham. Nothing more or less. There’s no way he should be playing before Coufal or Johnson. Okoflex hasn’t even played in the Carabao Cup or Europa League…
I thought Ashby was poor against Spurs.
I agree that youth players don't get judges correctly by fans.
In the first team they should get judged as first team players.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

got to give young players a chance in the first team then !
mike1961
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by mike1961 »

To my utter amazement Shearer and Wrighty said the Dawson thing was a stionewall pen on MoTD.
il_martello_di_genovesi

hammerman11 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:20 am got to give young players a chance in the first team then !
I have no issue picking them, but not throw them in at a time we are out of form. Ashby has played a couple of games now and if we need him to play then at least he has that, but he isn’t better than Coufal or Johnson. Okoflex wasn’t even played ahead of Perkins. Another who played against Zagreb and wasn’t really in the game much. Antonio just scored, Bowen was our best player and Benrahma scored. Why would we chuck Okoflex in yet? There will be times we can get some of these minutes, but I don’t think now is the time. If we are going to look anywhere then Alese would be the one perhaps. He has at least played a few games in the lower divisions, played in the Europa League and CB is an actual issue for us.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

way too many players off form or not turning up- I'd be hard pushed to give anyone more than a 4 or 5. We started slowly and got worse - wasteful slow and sloppy play from all the front line first half- came out the blocks on fire second half - even at 3-2 we should have gone on- two phases show how poorly we are playing- i) southampton get a (non) foul in the middle o nowhere = #goal ii) we get a freekick in almost the same spot # the ball didnt make it past the edge of the box . Pressure building 85 odd minutes...we have a corner......# doesnt even beat the first man. Really poor in all aspects and I dont see it changing - dont think its tiredness I think the whole set-up looks like its run its course.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:12 am There’s no way he should be playing before Coufal or Johnson.
If Coufal plays as badly as he did especially in that first half, I refuse to believe even young Ashby wouldn’t be an improvement.
il_martello_di_genovesi

funky chicken wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:47 am If Coufal plays as badly as he did especially in that first half, I refuse to believe even young Ashby wouldn’t be an improvement.
That’s one half of football. Coufal had about 40 good games under his belt. I wouldn’t start casting all of our first team to the sidelines after a bad run. Change where we can and where we need to, especially as we are playing lots of games, but Ashby is not at the level of Coufal or Johnson. Coufal has also had his season disrupted by injury and suspension. He needs to get a run of games.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

funky chicken wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:47 am If Coufal plays as badly as he did especially in that first half, I refuse to believe even young Ashby wouldn’t be an improvement.
Lots of people overhyping Ashby based on a fairly average performance against Tottenham and an ok performance against a poor team in the Europa.

For me it’s between Coufal and Fredricks who starts against Watford.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2358 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I think Fredericks might get a game in midfield. That is q very David Moyes ploy when we are struggling for form
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

mike1961 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:29 am To my utter amazement Shearer and Wrighty said the Dawson thing was a stionewall pen on MoTD.
And they are right!
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Well from being at the game in the front row of the upper tier West Stand, just to sideline side of corner flag by the STB stand I had a top view. From that vantage point I'd summarise that the first half was an absolutely abysmal showing lacking any sort of team cohesion whatsoever. Southampton rightly 1-0 up.

Second half we played better with the ball and going forward, but conversely our defence was crap.

Not sure what's going on at the moment. This was the first game of a crucial 4 match run (would've been 5 if Norwich and remaining went/goes ahead) and bloody lost. Can only hope things improve tomorrow assuming it's going ahead, but can't exactly have much hope after that.

Thoroughly disappointing given I thought we'd be back on the up after a good performance away midweek.