Ray Illingworth RIP

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Ray Illingworth RIP

Post by Puff Daddy »

For me, he was English cricket's greatest ever captain captaining England to series win down under in 1971,but strangely, my lasting memory is, of watching him losing it the field, in a County Championship match between Essex and Yorkshire at the County Ground at Leyton in the late 60's. With a commanding 1st innings lead, Essex began to bowl themselves back into the match, but were set well over 300 to win the match. They were reduced to something like 150 for 7, when Keith Boyce, the last of their recognised batsmen, got out. I think clean bowled. With Brian (Tonka) Taylor, the wicket keeper still at the crease, if he could still stay there, they were still just about still in it, with a punchers chance, but it was a very tall order. Next in was Bill Greensmith, a left arm spinner, but on his day a still capable batsman, Brian Taylor, could, if he connected, was always good for around 50, but he started hitting out and those of you who remember the Old County Ground at Leyton, had a high brick wall on one side of the ground and Taylor, was biffing them into the road beyond! Bill Greensmith followed suit and from out of nowhere, Essex were suddenly in with a chance and an unlikely victory was on. I remember looking at Illingworth on the field watching on looking angrier and angrier at his bowlers and he in paricular came in for some severe punishment. Taylor and Greensmith, who eventually got out, hitting out , put on around 140 runs for the 8 wicket to eventually see Essex home

Ray Illingworth :newthumb:
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Re: Ray Illingworth RIP

Post by Vic_Watson »

I was reading about the 1970/1 Ashes on Wikipedia today. Four highly boring draws and two England wins. Boycott ground the Ausssies into the dirt and Jon Snow blew them away. Need those two tonight!
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

The first England captain I remember.
Along with the likes of Boycott, Snow & Knott it seemed as if his England team had been little changed for many years. And that they won most of the time.
The last time I saw Ray Illingworth play he was captaining Yorkshire at Chelmsford on the last day of the season. The players were on and off for rain and eventually the game was called off after a result elsewhere confirmed that Essex were County Champions and didn't need the win.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

RIP Ray.