Watford 1-4 West Ham Utd (28/12/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Kludgehammer
Has liked: 180 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Re: ⚽ Watford v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Kludgehammer »

steps wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:06 am Nearly cost us a goal late on in the game too, I really hope we have a defender lined-up to join in January as we can’t go on with this back-up defence.
That was a series of crap passes that left Dawson in trouble - someone passed to Soucek, Soucek passed to Dawson just behind his left foot, he tried to play it and got pounced on. You'd hope a pro footballer had better control than that, but I'd say the blame was 20% player before Soucek, 60% Soucek for his pass, and 20% Dawson
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:05 pm I’d take little Billy Gilmour. In time he will be as good as Rice, and hopefully we’d get a big fat wedge into the bargain.
He was booed, jeered and told to go back to Chelsea by Norwich fans yesterday.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

old fart wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:11 pm Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you :lol:
:grin:
Pete647580
Has liked: 1213 likes
Total likes: 584 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Antwerp_Lad wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:58 pm

:D
:lol: :lol:

Kin ell.

Thought he was going to body slam him for a minute.

Proper WWF.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Mr Ponytail knew he'd been in a game afterwards :D
Diogenes
Has liked: 475 likes
Total likes: 1199 likes

Post by Diogenes »

I would also like to say that I prefer Amazon's coverage to that of Sky and BT. 8/10 so far for me.
ZazaPenaltyRunup
Has liked: 1587 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Post by ZazaPenaltyRunup »

Great game, team played very well and absolutely elated for Vlasic to get on the scoresheet. I was frustrated when he wasn't starting but when you realise Watford had played once in 18 days and had a shoddy effort at any sort of training, you have to think Moyes had an eye for a late introduction to ensure as much as he could that Nikola would score.

Dennis is a player – would be ideal as a backup but you have to wonder if he'd be happy to do that. Runs the channels well, direct, knows how to put the ball in the net.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 3486 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Does anyone have a link to the full game?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Post by -DL- »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:05 pm Does anyone have a link to the full game?
If you have prime, it's available on demand.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/detai ... Cu55RG_3_4
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by stu1 »

ZazaPenaltyRunup wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:03 pm
Dennis is a player – would be ideal as a backup but you have to wonder if he'd be happy to do that. Runs the channels well, direct, knows how to put the ball in the net.
Seen a few people say this, but I missed the first 5 minutes (including his goal) and for the last 85 minutes I thought he was pretty crap in an attacking sense. He was constantly making the wrong decisions, the sort of performance that Antonio would have people pulling their hair out on here.

His goal was decent though and he’s obviously got an impressive record this season, but overall I thought he looked a bit meh.
WCpete
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by WCpete »

stu1 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:39 pm Seen a few people say this, but I missed the first 5 minutes (including his goal) and for the last 85 minutes I thought he was pretty crap in an attacking sense. He was constantly making the wrong decisions, the sort of performance that Antonio would have people pulling their hair out on here.

His goal was decent though and he’s obviously got an impressive record this season, but overall I thought he looked a bit meh.
I love Antonio, but tell you what, I don't think we should be looking for a backup for Antonio anymore. I think we need a starter, and Antonio needs to be the back up. Maybe backup to Antonio in the Jan window, but next summer we should be looking to bump Mic down the ladder. It doesn't make sense to make him the foundation upon which our entire package of systems is built. He can't shoulder that weight anymore.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1982 likes
Total likes: 4728 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

WCpete wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:59 pm I love Antonio, but tell you what, I don't think we should be looking for a backup for Antonio anymore. I think we need a starter, and Antonio needs to be the back up. Maybe backup to Antonio in the Jan window, but next summer we should be looking to bump Mic down the ladder. It doesn't make sense to make him the foundation upon which our entire package of systems is built. He can't shoulder that weight anymore.
This is why we haven't signed anyone yet. Moyes doesn't want a back up for Antonio, he wants a first team quality striker. Not easy to find.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

For a 4-1 win my gut feeling is that we didn't really play that well against an understrength team (yeah, I know, and I'm really not trying to troll anyone on here). We played much better against Spurs in the cup. What was different about the match on Tues was that we got the ball in the back of the net from open play.

Bowen was great - absolute dynamo, no arguments there - but MoTM for me was Fabianski - did a fantastic job keeping the ball out of the next right until the end of extra time. As much as the goalscorers got us the points so did Fabianski.

The fact that Fabianski is my MoTM means I have to give credit to Watford - they didn't stop trying to get the ball in the back of the next until the final whistle blew. Every time they came forward they looked like a threat. That says as much about our defence as it does about Watford.

Really enjoyed Soucek's goal - twelve completed passes before a Watford interception, we recovered it and another ten passes later the ball was in the back of the net. I could watch that all day long from any team - to me, that's the best there is in football.
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 300 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

OohAahButler wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:29 pm I think Dawson is getting unfairly maligned by some on here. He got done for their goal, but in fairness Dennis did superbly…I reckon most defenders would have got done too. Dawson still earned his whack with plenty of intercepting headers etc, and is frequently left exposed by Diop.

As for Soucek/Rice, it seems obvious to me…mix it up during each and every game (‘right, it’s your turn to go now, I’ll stay’). Both have so much to offer and it’ll keep the oppo guessing.
Not for me, It was barely a feint by Dennis.

No half decent premier league defender throws himself to the floor in that situation, I bet even Dennis himself couldn’t believe his luck to have beaten a man so easily and essentially have a free shot at goal
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by stu1 »

BobbyMooreLower wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:06 am Not for me, It was barely a feint by Dennis.

No half decent premier league defender throws himself to the floor in that situation, I bet even Dennis himself couldn’t believe his luck to have beaten a man so easily and essentially have a free shot at goal
In fairness Dawson throws himself at a lot of things with great success and a small feint is often all that’s needed for a successful dummy.

I saw a stat this weak that said Dawson has made the most blocks in the prem this season which is quite incredible given he can’t have played in more than half our games!
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

richneal wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:21 pm For a 4-1 win my gut feeling is that we didn't really play that well against an understrength team (yeah, I know, and I'm really not trying to troll anyone on here). We played much better against Spurs in the cup. What was different about the match on Tues was that we got the ball in the back of the net from open play.

Bowen was great - absolute dynamo, no arguments there - but MoTM for me was Fabianski - did a fantastic job keeping the ball out of the next right until the end of extra time. As much as the goalscorers got us the points so did Fabianski.

The fact that Fabianski is my MoTM means I have to give credit to Watford - they didn't stop trying to get the ball in the back of the next until the final whistle blew. Every time they came forward they looked like a threat. That says as much about our defence as it does about Watford.

Really enjoyed Soucek's goal - twelve completed passes before a Watford interception, we recovered it and another ten passes later the ball was in the back of the net. I could watch that all day long from any team - to me, that's the best there is in football.
Fabianski had very little to do in my opinion. Watford were poor going forward and we was pretty much in control. He made a routine save at 2-1 and 2 great saves at 4-1 in injury time.

Don't remember much else. Bowen was certainly star performer.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

OohAahButler wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:29 pm I think Dawson is getting unfairly maligned by some on here. He got done for their goal, but in fairness Dennis did superbly…I reckon most defenders would have got done too. Dawson still earned his whack with plenty of intercepting headers etc, and is frequently left exposed by Diop.

As for Soucek/Rice, it seems obvious to me…mix it up during each and every game (‘right, it’s your turn to go now, I’ll stay’). Both have so much to offer and it’ll keep the oppo guessing.
Think the same too. Dennis did very well and wasn't so much about the defending.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 657 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

stu1 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:14 am In fairness Dawson throws himself at a lot of things with great success and a small feint is often all that’s needed for a successful dummy.

I saw a stat this weak that said Dawson has made the most blocks in the prem this season which is quite incredible given he can’t have played in more than half our games!
Soucek loses the player then gives up, Coufal is there to back up Dawson going to ground but for some reason backs away and gives a free shot on goal.

Rice in the team is in Coufals position and we don't concede.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

bristolhammerfc wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:15 am Soucek loses the player then gives up, Coufal is there to back up Dawson going to ground but for some reason backs away and gives a free shot on goal.

Rice in the team is in Coufals position and we don't concede.
Didn't think there was a lot wrong with Coufals position. Dawson should have stood up but decided to go to ground.