Crystal Palace 2-3 West Ham Utd (1/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Re: ⚽ Crystal Palace vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by steps »

Palace fans are a deluded bunch. We’ve only lost twice at their hovel in the last 20 years.
Last edited by steps on Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Palace were unlucky, but if that's the sort of drivel the Nigels spout then they don't deserve any luck..... . 24 carat tossers.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

There were a couple of level headed posters in that OV. But I did also learn some things:

Both of our non-penalty goals were easy saves.

Crystal Palace should be in the fight for top 6 but for bad luck.

Rice is a passenger.

If we hadn't scored 3 goals we wouldn't have won.

Missing 4 first team players means we're still full strength.
RayleighIrons
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by RayleighIrons »

They're all a bit thick over that side of the water.
stammer
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by stammer »

I stopped reading at the pillock stating that we had a full strength side. To quote a Jamaican land border dispute lawyer, “De fence don’t count” ?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

f*** me the nigels are a deluded bunch.

Yeah they played well and created chances but they couldnt finish, we scored two clinical goals and they gifted us a penslty.

That’s why were 5th and theyre lower mid table.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Sometimes, I read the OV and wonder if they watched the same match as us. In this case, I wonder if they watched the same game as each other - their opinions are all over the place
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

For balance, having sat in their main stand yesterday, the talk before the game was often about how decent Rice played and how dangerous our attackers were expected to be. They were a bit stunned by the swift one-two, not simply because of the craftmanship of the goals, but also because the second had this dread air of inevitability about Rice's surge. It was if they sensed the danger. Lanzini's goal could be heard by the noise the net made as the ball hit it.

There is something about that rectangular old ground that keeps the sound of the crowd in the stands. I have been repeatedly in the away end but only been able to clearly hear our lot. With that flaming drum in the stand I was in, it wasn't noisy off and on; they made noise for practically the first 35 minutes, non-stop.

Everyone knew it was a pen, having seen what the player did.

I think that, if the match we won had been reversed and we had lost 2-3 at home in that fashion, we too might have wondered quite how that happened. Put bluntly, we were getting nowhere near those efforts that hit post and bar and it was only the wrong flight of an accurate cross that made several other efforts savable.

It was a brilliant derby, an advert for how entertaining the game can be.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Pleased you made it proph. I was in that Polish cafe we met in before.

It was a great game - I thoroughly enjoyed the day :newthumb:
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

vary strange OV, as someone else said very contradictory views. Obviously the pattern of the second half was dictated by the 0-3 scoreline, and I can remember several games where we have suffered similarly, where another 10 minutes would have seen us turn defeat into at least a draw, possibly victory. Newcastle and spurs at home a couple of seasons back spring to mind. The reality in all these cases is the game has been lost in the first half. The penalty was a clear handball (probably deliberate) the only question was in or out of the area. A bit lucky for us but a result of our pressure.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Aceface wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:19 am Everyone knows Moyes owns only one record: The Proclaimers, Sunshine on Leith.
Surprised no-one mentioned Wet Wet Wet, Aztec Camera or the Trashcan Sinatras!
SRXT
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by SRXT »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:37 am Absolutely, there, Doc. You've reminded me of the 1-3 reverse against Everton, when Collison scored an absolute beauty (poss even a back-heeled assist from Parker). He scored it second half and we were all over the moon with it.

Everton dusted themselves down and scored 3 in the last 15 minutes. It was gutting to watch, but spoke volumes about respective fitness and tactical nous.
I'll never forget this game for all the reasons you just mentioned. Wasn't it Collison's first goal in the premier league as well?
Ethanadict
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

What an OV! If if if. A small word but it means a lot.

If they hadn’t conceded three they would have won that match.

If they could finish… and if we couldn’t.
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Marky is definitely one of my favourite OV entries of all time. Essentially Palace would be top 6 if numerous other events in a number of games hadn’t happened the way they had. The things you learn. Also from another one - I was never aware that our full strength team contained a right back at left back and our 3rd and 4th choice centre backs, not our Italian and French internationals. Plus our Spanish international midfielder.

They’ve got some really sound fans who remember when they almost dropped into league 1. Their relative success has also brought out some real plonkers these days, the same bunch that probably supported Charlton until Curbishley left and the place fell apart.
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

Also 3 games in 6 days. Full strength
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

dave_l wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:58 am Marky is definitely one of my favourite OV entries of all time. Essentially Palace would be top 6 if numerous other events in a number of games hadn’t happened the way they had. The things you learn. Also from another one - I was never aware that our full strength team contained a right back at left back and our 3rd and 4th choice centre backs, not our Italian and French internationals. Plus our Spanish international midfielder.

They’ve got some really sound fans who remember when they almost dropped into league 1. Their relative success has also brought out some real plonkers these days, the same bunch that probably supported Charlton until Curbishley left and the place fell apart.
We could do the same.

What if Brentford hadnt scored last minute? What if. Oble had scored that pen vs man Utd? We’d been given that pen vs Burnley, and we hadnt had a goal disallowed vs Brighton? Then that dodgy pen vs Soton. That’s 7 points right there.

Easy this game.
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Quite Sendo. I'm going to go all the way back to Kanoute fluffing that penalty against the Gooners in 2002.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

sendô wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:39 am We could do the same.

What if Brentford hadnt scored last minute? What if. Oble had scored that pen vs man Utd? We’d been given that pen vs Burnley, and we hadnt had a goal disallowed vs Brighton? Then that dodgy pen vs Soton. That’s 7 points right there.

Easy this game.
What if Kouyate wasn't wrongfully sent off against Palace? What if Leicester weren't given a dodgy late penalty? What if Chelsea weren't given a penalty for a dive outside the box?

Bilic guides us to top 4, our first season at the OS goes much better due to a much better transfer window. Payet signs a long term contract and Rice makes his breakthrough as normal.

With us in such brilliant form we batter Palace in an early game sending them spiralling into a relegation battle under Hodgson. We win the league under Bilic in our 2nd season at the OS with Payet breaking the assist record and Lacazette our top goalscorer.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Tenbury wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:07 pm Palace were unlucky, but if that's the sort of drivel the Nigels spout then they don't deserve any luck..... . 24 carat tossers.
I'm sorry but they were not unlucky. They played well but were profligate in front of goal. That's not unlucky, that is lacking quality when it really matters.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:15 pm There were a couple of level headed posters in that OV. But I did also learn some things:

Both of our non-penalty goals were easy saves.

Crystal Palace should be in the fight for top 6 but for bad luck.

Rice is a passenger.

If we hadn't scored 3 goals we wouldn't have won.

Missing 4 first team players means we're still full strength.
The OV really grated me this time round. I agree we were rather fortunate with the victory. I even said to my dad at the time we should be 5-3 down at half time.

However both of our goals from open play were cracking football. stuff you pay to watch and if the Oppo scored you would even think thats real football.

Rice walked through their team to set up the second. such a passenger

the pen was unfortunate however on replay its a clear pen.

its not our fault they couldnt finish their dinner until the last few mins

plus everyone seems to forget we were missing 3 of our first choice defence .. we seem to be cut zero slack for that ever... I mean if we were missing 1 then johnson steps in... or dawson but when dawson has become first choice with back up back up diop next to him we know its down to bare bones at the back.