Crystal Palace 2-3 West Ham Utd (1/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Re: ⚽ Crystal Palace vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by S-H »

I feel like our killer instinct has returned.

In both the Watford and Palace games, there was only a few minutes between our first and second goals.

Proper ruthless stuff.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Chesterfield Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:07 am Ben Johnson’s passing worries/ angers me
But I remain aware he is being played totally out of position
However Man Utd competed reasonably well for a number of years with Denis Irwin at left back
Johnson can do a job there, but is obviously not that comfortable. He obviously always wants to be on his right foot, so even when he comes forward, he needs to cut inside, switch etc. Yesterday he was defending very narrow. As pointed out by someone else, it could have been the way Ayew played that didn't help him. His passing is something that needs work, but on the wrong side it's even more noticeable.
Oldun
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Oldun »

You can analyse the game over and over again,criticise certain players and make judgement on team selection,tactics or subs .
All I know is that we won 3-2 ,we play a certain style which has proved over the last season and half to be generally successful.
Nearly every one of our games are entertaining,very few are dull and yesterday’s was definitely that.
And our away form since the start of last season has been excellent,in 30 away games in that time we have won 15 drawn 6 and lost 9.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

I actually think Johnson looks more comfortable on the ball playing on the left, I have absolutely no idea how or why, but maybe he has to think about his passing / decision making more there?

But I thought he looked suspect defensively. He was slower to attack the ball on his left side and got caught out a few times, whereas I think if they were on his right then he’d come onto the ball a lore more quickly.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I thought we were rubbish.

If Palace had won 5-3 it wouldn't have been an unfair reflection of the game for me.

Simply have to do better. We looked every bit a team who haven't won much recently, bar dismantling a woeful Watford.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 799 likes
Total likes: 3012 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Two things.

1. The ball from Benny from which Antonio scored was sensational.

2. Lanzini's first goal, when watched in slow-mo, is absolutely astonishing.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4378 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

It's worth remembering it's only the second time Palace have lost at home this season, whilst they've beaten Man City away, should have beaten Arsenal (they snatched an injury time draw) and they thrashed Spurs.

Palace are one in the middle rump who will regularly trouble the top 6/7 between now and the end of the season and some won't come away with all three points.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 756 likes
Total likes: 3478 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Crystal Palace
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136583
Oldun

Post by Oldun »

Had to stop reading the OV ,just confirms to me what a load of Nigels they are.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 936 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Fair minded OV.

Ta gov.
il_martello_di_genovesi

Wasn't that bad of an OV. I disagree with the 'full strength' West Ham part as that simply isn't true. Also one basically saying it was a penalty, but moaning that it was given. Otherwise, I'd say a lot of what they say we are in agreement with.
OFT
Has liked: 3186 likes
Total likes: 1829 likes

Post by OFT »

"I actually thought it was a good performance against a full strength West Ham. If Gallagher had been playing we'd have got at least a point. Soft penalty the difference. If the ref doesn't think it's a penalty when he can see it from eight feet away in real time, then why has he changed his mind? Shame we never pushed harder to sign Antonio a few years back."
- taylors lovechild

Blimey. :shocker:
Oldun

Post by Oldun »

. It's about time they really sorted out this free shot on goal lark, penalties should only be awarded when a clear goal has been prevented, everything else should be a free kick in the box. Too many games are decided by ridiculous moments where the ball wasn't anywhere near being banged in.

Another classic by a Nigel.
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by Aceface »

Some legendary cobblers in that OV. I think this might be my favourite comment all year
We're currently 11th with 20 points. Realistically we should currently be 7th with 31 points if JUSTICE was fair. Yes, you could argue you make your own luck and all that bollox but that's only true to a degree. Luck is luck. That's why it called LUCK! The same for bad luck. Brighton and Arsenal, two points dropped from last kick of the game. Newcastle, two points dropped from last minute VAR decision. Leeds, one point dropped from last minute handball. That selection of games gives us 31 points. At the end of the day, nobody can say we didn't deserve to win last night. Which means we'd be level on points with the Spammers because they'd only have 31 points too, not 34. And 31 points would give us a "realistic" chance of aiming for a top 6 finish. Sometimes the table does lie."
Luck is luck. That's why it called LUCK! – words to live by. Being on 20 points instead of 31 is entirely down to luck, despite his own reason for several of the defeats being simply the time that the goals went in during the games.

Also good
"If we didn’t give them a 0-3 head start we would have beaten them today."
Yep, erasing 3 goals from the final score will tend to see you home.
il_martello_di_genovesi

Aceface wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:44 pm

Also good

Yep, erasing 3 goals from the final score will tend to see you home.
:lol:.

I didn't see that. Nonsense.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Up the Junction wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:58 pm The opposition view: Crystal Palace
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136583
“Aside from their best player being the 'keeper and woodwork

Despite all of Palace’s chances did Fabianski have to make that many saves? :? Their keeper surely had to make far more saves than ours did.
Diogenes
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by Diogenes »

fjthegrey wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:15 pm I thought we were rubbish.

If Palace had won 5-3 it wouldn't have been an unfair reflection of the game for me.

Simply have to do better. We looked every bit a team who haven't won much recently, bar dismantling a woeful Watford.
I certainly disagree with the 'rubbish' bit. Palace played very well (better than us) and it was an excellent game. And yes, we can play better, but you dont beat a good Palace side by being rubbish.

Also, this 'lucky' thing does my head in. Luck is a dodgy ref/var decision or being battered and winning through a jammy goal. Palace were profligate and our forward play was often top quality and the goals were fantastic. Nothing to do with luck just quality (or lack of it) when it matters. Far too much self-effacing comment on the forum for me. Its like we are all suffering from 'Imposter Syndrome' and perhaps we are.
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by Aceface »

funky chicken wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:50 pm “Aside from their best player being the 'keeper and woodwork

Despite all of Palace’s chances did Fabianski have to make that many saves? :?
Assume they thought it was the woodwork that ran fifty metres unopposed up the gaping chasm where a competent midfield would normally be. Or the woodwork was the one that had time to take three touches in their box standing right next to their £25m defensive signing before leathering it in? Sightlines are pretty tricky at Selhurst tbf behind the pillars.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 936 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I think you’re bullying Nigel a bit.

Nobody could prevent Manu’s spellblinder - he took out all 5 defenders with a wand.
hammerofthedogs
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by hammerofthedogs »

Which means we'd be level on points with the Spammers because they'd only have 31 points too, not 34. And 31 points would give us a "realistic" chance of aiming for a top 6 finish. Sometimes the table does lie."
- marky1919

Just one of the many that subscribe to the 'if my auntie had bollox' view to yesterday's proceedings....