John Madden RIP

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WHU Independent
Has liked: 1682 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

John Madden RIP

Post by WHU Independent »

John madden the American Football legend and name behind the computer game has died at the age of 85.

RIP Big man. You wll be missed.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/17165040 ... statement/
WCpete
Has liked: 1497 likes
Total likes: 3201 likes

Re: John Madden RIP

Post by WCpete »

he was the best NFL color man in my lifetime by a wide margin. Pat Summerall and John Madden will always be the voice of the NFL to me. Incredible insight, great humor and an everyman sensibility. RIP to the GOAT.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

An absolute giant of American football and (I might be wrong) American culture. His voice was Football, even those who know nothing about American football know his name.

As famous for the computer game with his name attached to it which he helped develop and had massive input into.

RIP
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1993 likes
Total likes: 1669 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

you guys I know, would have not had the original Monday Night Football, Howard Cosell, "Dandy" Don Meredith and Frank Gifford.

they were excellent.

however, John Madeden was a cut above but different. as stated above he and Pat Summerall were superb.

who can forget Thanksgiving Football when Madden had a turkey leg award for his best players.

he will be missed.

"People always ask, are you a coach or a broadcaster or a video game guy?" he said when was elected to the Hall of Fame. "I'm a coach, always been a coach."
WCpete
Has liked: 1497 likes
Total likes: 3201 likes

Post by WCpete »

He and Summerall were the announcers that presided over the game when the NFL took over from MLB as America's game. He was the theater of the game and he did it speaking like fans spoke, minus the blue language. I would choose games to watch on a weekend simply because he was the color man for a game. Thing that's crazy is that the overwhelming majority of his fans will know him from the video game, including the NFL's current players.
r99c
Has liked: 708 likes
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by r99c »

The word legend is often overused... not here. :heart: