Gaming Mouse Recommendation .

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Gaming Mouse Recommendation .

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Hi Guys ,
Wanted to buy our boy a late Christmas present - he could do with a new mouse - currently using an Alienware mouse [ I think ] - it's quite big , got green lights on it - been looking up lists of ' Best Gaming Mouse ' and they all seem to be different and a bit confusing for an old non-Gamer like myself .
Does it make any difference what mouse you use if you're not one of those super-duper pro Gamers ?
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Re: Gaming Mouse Recommendation .

Post by wolf359 »

Size is all important. I’d suggest having a wander to pc world and handling a few (if you still can). Your boy needs to be able to comfortably reach all the needed buttons or you can get rsi/sore hands etc.

Personally I loved the Logitech G5/G500 when I played FPS game (they don’t make them anymore) I think the G502 is the modern equivalent

I’m a MMO player these days and use a Corsair scimitar pro (MMO mice have loads of side buttons), I like Corsair as a brand.

Razor, they always get good reviews, however I really dislike the shape and feel (the software is an abomination and the build quality is often bad)

It really is personal choice and feel. I’ve been told about ‘the best mouse ever’ from others that I thought was total garbage.

Hands and fingers are different I suppose.

If was happy with the one he had, see if you can find a updated version of that. It would be the 'safest' buy. As for pro-gamer. Good equipment can make a difference but it is 99% the player. I watched good players destroy on 'crap' equipment just to show this point.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Pro-gamer kit tends to be incredibly light (so they can throw it around with ease), which doesn't generally equate to longevity.

Not much difference (if any) re latency between wired and wireless these days.

As per wolf's advice, it's the one bit of kit you are advised to try hands on first if possible.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1154 likes
Total likes: 897 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

I use a Razer Basilisk and like it, agree with what others say about being comfortable with the size and shape.
The Old Man of Storr

Ok , thanks , Guys - that's all very useful and I appreciate you taking time out to give me some info on Gaming Mice . :newthumb:

It's difficult gauging the size by picture alone but so far I've looked at a Vollion [ £19.99 ] - Razer Death Adder [ £24.50 ] - Razer Death Adder Elite [ £39.95 ] Steel Series Rival 3 [ £24.99 ] - Logitech G203 [ £19.99 ] - Logitech G502 Hero [ £49.99 ] - Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury [ £34.99 ] and a Razer Basilik V2 [ £40.00 ] .

Just going by the picture it's the Logitech G502 that appears closest to what his current Alienware Mouse looks like , it's quite chunky .

We were in Inverness for Christmas and my Mrs has just gone there today to take our Daughter home - can't see us going to a shop any time soon unless Mrs Tomos fancies a trip to Currys tomorrow .

Amazon Prime is next day delivery - think he'll have to go with a picture for now . :grin:

Thanks again , Guys . :newthumb:
The Old Man of Storr

Bought him the Logitech G502 last night - £50 for a bit of plastic , he'd better like it . :grin:
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:19 am Bought him the Logitech G502 last night - £50 for a bit of plastic , he'd better like it . :grin:
I loved my G500, hope he likes the new version. He'll need to download the Logitech software to customise the buttons but I am sure he knows this.

£50 is on the middle of the road side, my Corsair was £80 and there are a number even more expensive, keyboards can set you back over £200!
Last edited by wolf359 on Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Old Man of Storr

Hi Wolf ,
Yeah , the Logitech site were advertising the G502 for £79.99 while Amazon were selling it for £49.99 reduced from £79.99 .

While I'm here [ I don't want to start yet another thread ] -

Dan came down tonight saying that his Xbox One Controller battery pack wasn't fitting inside his Xbox Series X controller yet Google says they're compatible - I go on Amazon and I'm pretty sure they're saying the same thing as when I put in a search for ' Battery Pack For Xbox Series X Controller ' it returns ' Rechargeable battery packs foe Xbox Series X / S / Xbox One ' -

Is it me ??
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:23 pm Dan came down tonight saying that his Xbox One Controller battery pack wasn't fitting inside his Xbox Series X controller yet Google says they're compatible - I go on Amazon and I'm pretty sure they're saying the same thing as when I put in a search for ' Battery Pack For Xbox Series X Controller ' it returns ' Rechargeable battery packs foe Xbox Series X / S / Xbox One ' -

Is it me ??
No idea about consoles. I’m a PC master race kind of guy. I’m sure one of the console boys will sort you out.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1154 likes
Total likes: 897 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

wolf359 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:32 pm I’m a PC master race kind of guy.
Likewise
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Can't help TOMoS I'm afraid, no SX here.