FAC3: West Ham Utd 2-0 Leeds Utd (9/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

SiamHammer
Has liked: 1078 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Leeds Utd: match thread

Post by SiamHammer »

alf git wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:13 pm He really didn't.
Credit where it's due. He gets some clog on here but did nothing wrong today.
He gave the ball away 4-5 times in the first 20 minutes, one 5 yard pass that started a Leeds attack and one criminal ball into Dec that he had no chance with. After this he had a good game and was very impressed with his pace, outrunning D James is no small task but he beat him in a sprint so fair play
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1078 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

Polaroid wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:57 pm I'd love to see the distance covered by Bowen today
MOTM for me
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

Mullhull wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:10 am Don't see how anyone can knock Vlasic his strength is incredible. He probably should have scored before the commotion of the first goal but that defender was all over him.
I’m sure the referee signalled for ‘advantage played’ after Lanzini put the ball in the net. I thought he would’ve gave a penalty if we hadn’t scored for a foul on Vlasic.
Ethanadict
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

Lots to be cheerful about with that performance. My favourite bits, in reverse order…

The much bashed Diop had a decent game and him and Dawson getting a clean sheet can only help their confidence.

Johnson playing out of position again. He doesn’t play his best football at LB but credit to the lad for helping out the team and getting on with it. A decent game.

Moyes selection. Taking it seriously, winning, and getting a deserved decent draw in the next round.

Bowen. I can’t believe how he plays with such energy every game. Defends well and always looks dangerous on the break.

Vlasic starting to prove the doubters wrong and maybe Moyes knows a player when he sees one. He’s starting to impose himself more and more in games. He made things happen today, great skill, strength and balance.

I feared we had seen the best of Lanzini and he’d become just a squad player to fill in when injuries or suspensions required him. What an absolute pleasure to see him back, making things tick in midfield, skilful touches, scoring, and, playing with a smile on his face. Welcome back Manu.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Anyone checked in on Jermaine Beckford?
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1161 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

S-H wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:26 am Anyone checked in on Jermaine Beckford?
Surely you’ve got a gif?
👍
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Ozza »

S-H wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:26 am Anyone checked in on Jermaine Beckford?
I actually felt embarrassed for him, it was shocking
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

I thought we played very well (finishing aside). Should have been 4 or 5 up by the time they mustered a few attempts on our goal.

I thought Lanzini and Vlasic were superb. I cant remember the last time I saw Vlasic lose the ball!

Only downside is Rice needs to stop trying to be head chef and bottle washer. Leave the free kicks to the experts.
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

I think I worked out why our goal wasn't offside. It wasn't because it came off a Leeds player or because Bowen was deemed not to be interfering. It's because although Bowen was offside during the initial touch from Vlasic, Vlasic then stretches out and gets a 2nd touch on the ball, knocking it into the keeper, just as Bowen interferes with play. This second touch from Vlasic is actually slightly infront of Bowen due to the outstretched leg.

Last edited by Scratchy on Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scratchy

Post by Scratchy »

double post
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

Scratchy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:54 am I think I worked out why our goal wasn't offside. It wasn't because it came off a Leeds player or because Bowen was deemed not to be interfering. It's because although Bowen was offside during the initial touch from Vlasic, Vlasic then stretches out and gets a 2nd touch on the ball, knocking it into the keeper, just as Bowen interferes with play. This second touch from Vlasic is actually slightly infront of Bowen due to the outstretched leg.

Is that also what Leon Osman was attempting to give as possible reason last night on motd2?

Confused? You will be, which is why the officials should have to explain one way or another at the stadium then and there ideally, or list match.
At least then everyone can argue about a decision knowing what the reason was.
Scratchy

Post by Scratchy »

Essexmaniac wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:00 am Is that also what Leon Osman was attempting to give as possible reason last night on motd2?

Confused? You will be, which is why the officials should have to explain one way or another at the stadium then and there ideally, or list match.
At least then everyone can argue about a decision knowing what the reason was.
No, Osman was saying it was because Bowen didn't interfere with play as he moved across. I've finally worked out how to post an image :phew: on my post which demonstrates what I mean. Bowen is level with the ball as Vlasic makes his final touch.
GetUrWangOut
Has liked: 76 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by GetUrWangOut »

First FA Cup game I’ve been to at the new place. Was meeting the missus there who turned up late and had the tickets meaning I missed the first 15 mins or so!

Thought we dominated Leeds throughout and should’ve had a couple more. I haven’t seen the highlights yet so can’t comment on the offside but from the pictures posted looks like we got a little lucky?

Bowen MOTM for me, he’s looking sensational at the moment. Surely got to be in the next England squad?
Overchuffed
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Overchuffed »

Scratchy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:54 am I think I worked out why our goal wasn't offside. It wasn't because it came off a Leeds player or because Bowen was deemed not to be interfering. It's because although Bowen was offside during the initial touch from Vlasic, Vlasic then stretches out and gets a 2nd touch on the ball, knocking it into the keeper, just as Bowen interferes with play. This second touch from Vlasic is actually slightly infront of Bowen due to the outstretched leg.

Exactly this - i cannot believe watching ITV and BCC that not one "pundit" has managed to work out the reason.
The intial 'shot from Vlasic' where Bowen is in an offside position is also debatable as to who actually played the ball. If you watch it back it looks more like the ball that was played through toward the keeper actually comes off the Leeds defender, therefore no one is offside as it came off the leeds player.

Once again, VAR is the talking point, and took far too long. Goal went in 33:13, finally confirmed by VAR 35:55 - the best part of 3 minutes to look at it. Taking the raw emotion out of the game.
Chesterfield Hammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Chesterfield Hammer »

Vlasic may well have scored had he not been fouled … a free kick would have been given for same “ challenge “ on half way line
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Also, I thought the referee very lenient to Leeds following several, not very subtle, professional fouls. Indeed, I seem to recall his first card was a yellow to Lanzini!!
Estuary
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

The match report in The Times football supplement has it right for me, its that we controlled the game and dominated Leeds.
We were better all over park than Leeds in truth and on the bench including the coaching team. We could and should have won by 4 or 5 given the domination and the openings we created. Our attacking midfield played some fabulous football, especially between Vlasic and Lanzini which meant we kept the ball high up the pitch and kept Leeds chasing the ball and under pressure.
A word about Antonio whose two surging runs and good passes made both goals possible. A few on here have said he looked tired/exhausted in second half, tell that to the Leeds defenders who he put to the sword with a 50 yard explosion of pace and control on 94mins before putting in Bowen (M.O.T.M for me) to score with a decent pass, I think they might say different.
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

:clap:
Scratchy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:08 am No, Osman was saying it was because Bowen didn't interfere with play as he moved across. I've finally worked out how to post an image :phew: on my post which demonstrates what I mean. Bowen is level with the ball as Vlasic makes his final touch.
Gotcha, I think 😀 .
Second phase has to come.into.their thinking too, which would.be the case here.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

It should have been offside. Law 11 does say "Clearly attempting to play a ball" from an offside position is offside, and the fact he doesn’t get to it is irrelevant.

Baffling decision but we were the better side.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

But I also think Vlasic is fouled and the handball earlier should have been given.