FAC3: West Ham Utd 2-0 Leeds Utd (9/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Leeds Utd: match thread

Post by Aztec Hammer »

£5-6m for two more years of Fredericks or whatever it is, why not?

He’s not a world beater but he has pace to burn and knows the system. That’s cheap for a reserve full back that you can rely on to do a job in early Cup games and some league games.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:10 pm £5-6m for two more years of Fredericks or whatever it is, why not?

He’s not a world beater but he has pace to burn and knows the system. That’s cheap for a reserve full back that you can rely on to do a job in early Cup games and some league games.
Not for me, get a LB signed and Johnson can go back over to his actual position.

I think Fredericks has been unlucky with injuries in his time here but the summer is the right time to say goodbye IMO.
MK-Hammer
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 133 likes

Post by MK-Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:08 pm If Coufal and Ashby both have covid, and Cresswell still has back problems, then it's Fred or Arfur to play with Johnson covering the other wing for the next two (Norwich + Leeds H).
Do we know the COVID situation?
WoodvaleOne
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by WoodvaleOne »

I thought Antonio looked ****ed for most of the second half.
Maybe we ought to consider buying another front man at some point this millennium.
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

Got a question.

How many interceptions did we make today?

Seemed like a load to me. Many different players.

Wondered if we may have been working at it in training.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2427 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

A good solid win that without getting out of first gear. Dominated the play, created plenty of chances and didn't give a great deal up until the final 15 or so.

Vlasic the pick for me, starting to look like the player we hoped he'd be.

Leeds were very poor though, although their young centre half looked good on his debut.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 518 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

I thought Vlasic and Lanzini linked up very well - and that was Vlasic’s best game for us so far.
Fredricks had a good game and with a bit of composure could and probably should of scored in the first half.
Diop had a couple of shaky moments in the first half but was fine in the second half.
Yarmolenko didn’t put a foot wrong :winker:
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

brownout wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:55 pm
Very pleased that Moyes played a full strength team.
Hopefully he’ll do the same at Kidderminster and take no risks.
This is such a West Ham comment.

I feel the same btw.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Thought it was a poor game overall and sums up Leeds this season...ball playing side with nothing in the final third.

Pleasantly surprised how strong the line up was, shows Moyes takes its seriously.

Two big games in the league next week now, with 6 points being an absolute must.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Fantastic professional performance. The second goal was a joy.

We’ve got a nice draw for the first time in time.

The end of the season is going to be a navigation
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

So... maybe Moyes does know what he's doing after all - introducing Vlasic bit by bit.

As many have said already, that was his best showing to date. I thought he played well back to goal, held the ball up as well as anyone we have at the moment, and his turns using his low centre of gravity were excellent.

The one blot was the possible dive, but Nobes will "have a word..." :D
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 299 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

Good win and a professional performance against a poor Leeds team.

I’m glad David Moyes takes the FA cup a lot more seriously than many on this forum. The teams on the first page of this thread make for painful reading as a West Ham fan that has not won a trophy for 42 years.
Caribiron
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Caribiron »

Didn't think we played anything near our potential today, our only saving grace being Leeds were poor. The second was innevitable once Leeds started pushing hard for the equaliser. Couldn't tell at the ground but looking at Manu's goal we'd be rightly pissed off with VAR if that had been against us...but of course we have had **** VAR decisions against us.

Last thought, I grew up when Leeds were really successful and the noise they made reminded me of Elland Road back in the day. Fair play to their fans, made a real noise.

:crest:
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 299 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:08 pm If Coufal and Ashby both have covid, and Cresswell still has back problems, then it's Fred or Arfur to play with Johnson covering the other wing for the next two (Norwich + Leeds H).

If Coufal has covid then he may miss Norwich, but certainly will not Leeds next week. Unless he discovered he had covid this morning
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

BobbyMooreLower wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:01 pm If Coufal has covid then he may miss Norwich, but certainly will not Leeds next week. Unless he discovered he had covid this morning
Depends on date of test, doesn't it?

Day of test + 10 potentially as a shut-away period (subject to test results on days 6 and 7)
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Twas easy.

We didn't get out of second gear.

Coasted and managed our way through the game in a thoroughly professional manner.

For this level......the players would hardly known they've had a game.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:10 pm £5-6m for two more years of Fredericks or whatever it is, why not?

In all honesty i normally support him but that was a poor shot with his first chance and the second chance he needed to pass to bowen. Defensively he was so so.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

davids cross wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:44 pm Twas easy.

We didn't get out of second gear.

Coasted and managed our way through the game in a thoroughly professional manner.

For this level......the players would hardly known they've had a game.
Agree. The only reason leeds were still in it was us not taking our chances. This could/should have been 4-0
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

We do need to get better at finishing games off. We could have conceded twice, and they didn’t deserve any part of it.

Better team though and delighted we took it seriously.

Vlasic was either great or anonymous, but continues to show his best work when he’s central.

Fredericks showed why he excites but why he was an easy one to upgrade on. His decision making and technique flawed in the final third.

Rice wasn’t great in the final third today. Shooting and crossing not on it and he could probably just leave some of these things to people who do it without panache.

Fornals looked lively in his cameo and is such an intelligent forward passer. Would have him in on the left after that.

Johnson had a good game and should trust his left foot more. His delivery is good, he just sometimes dallies trying to get onto his right when he doesn’t necessarily need to.
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

I cannot make head nor tail of the first goal... Can anyone explain?

However Leeds banging on about playing their kids and we put our first team out. Leeds were terrible, they fluffed their lines twice and that was the only time they looked threatening.

Leeds fans all mouth no trouser, was fun waving them off watching them pour out before the final whistle.

Bunch of a scumbags.

Don't see how anyone can knock Vlasic his strength is incredible. He probably should have scored before the commotion of the first goal but that defender was all over him.