FAC3: West Ham Utd 2-0 Leeds Utd (9/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1143 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Leeds Utd: match thread

Post by Diogenes »

Estuary wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:32 pm Bowen wasn't in the goalies line of sight when Vlasic first tried the shot, and he is behind the ball, marginally, when he prods his second shot. I don't think he's offside. Its mess but that's my take on it.
We need to remember that to overrule the on pitch Referee, it needs to be clear and obvious. Judging by the comments and my own view, I can't see that it was clear and obviously offside to overrule the Referee.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Think that’s fair comment Aztec.

Not sure about the squaring off of the West Stand. I listened to that Committee vid and they spoke of changes but not reconfiguration. Hard to see how they could with the rake.

The BML is better and safe standing would make it better still, but the view from behind the ‘party deck’ is ridiculous. It’s like two or three stadiums in one.
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

Diogenes wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:05 pm We need to remember that to overrule the on pitch Referee, it needs to be clear and obvious. Judging by the comments and my own view, I can't see that it was clear and obviously offside to overrule the Referee.
Amen to that. There is nothing clear and obvious so as to disallow the goal. I have looked at it time and again and its just a complicated mess in the box. Nothing to see here. 1-0. :newthumb:
Paolopaul
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 301 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

Estuary wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:32 pm Bowen wasn't in the goalies line of sight when Vlasic first tried the shot, and he is behind the ball, marginally, when he prods his second shot. I don't think he's offside. Its mess but that's my take on it.
My thought at the time was that Bowen doesn’t actually impact the play despite being in an offside position. If he hadn’t existed nothing would have changed. Therefore, by the way VAR are implementing the rules, the goal stands.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1564 likes

Post by alf git »

Paolopaul wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:44 pm My thought at the time was that Bowen doesn’t actually impact the play despite being in an offside position. If he hadn’t existed nothing would have changed.
Just like Indiana Jones.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

Doc H Ball wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:06 pm Think that’s fair comment Aztec.

Not sure about the squaring off of the West Stand. I listened to that Committee vid and they spoke of changes but not reconfiguration. Hard to see how they could with the rake.

The BML is better and safe standing would make it better still, but the view from behind the ‘party deck’ is ridiculous. It’s like two or three stadiums in one.
Thought I had read in a few places that it would be impossible to square off the west side without screwing up the view for all the cat 1's in the padded seats.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Doc H Ball wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:06 pm Think that’s fair comment Aztec.

Definitely. I’m one of the few that got lucky when it came to the BML changes, being moved forward a couple of rows and a bit more central. With the squaring off for the most part the immediate line of sight looks somewhat like a normal ground, if you don’t let the gargantuan semi circular technical area and West stand come into your peripherals, and then try to forget that behind you is that party deck and cavernous expanse of trampolines before you even get to the BMU.

Hopefully they can do something to improve the West, and then if we do take control of the stadium in a few years, Kretinsky will have a more genuine and kinder mind towards the fan experience than GSB have.
The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

I do wonder if there are such inquests on the forums of those clubs that frequently get favourable/borderline decisions like that. One finally goes our way and none of us know what to say! At least we have stayed grounded :crylol:

I have no love for Leeds but you can see why they're pissed off. The overwhelming evidence suggests that neither us or Leeds would have that goal given against Manchester United (if the same situation occurred. Source: Ings disallowed goal tonight). But that's for a different thread.

The Leeds forum is a frustrating read. They simultaneously don't take us seriously as a club but at the same time think we get all the decisions (it's unclear why such a **** club would get all these decisions. London seems to be a reason).
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

The Straw wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:34 pm ( London seems to be a reason).
They have Harry Ramsden sized portions of chips on each shoulder.
stevejos13

Post by stevejos13 »

Re Leeds game pl on Sunday. Sam Greenwood is injured and they have 2 players on 1 match suspensions including Llorente. They have 5 strikers out for Sunday. By Sunday nite Man U may need 10 points to go ahead of us. Villa will do them and will win our 2 games Arsenal and scum draw. Monday am hopefully people will be in panic about the league table. Only danger will be referees told to give decisions against us to stop us spoiling the top 4 status quo
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

Who wins the 3.30 at Newmarket on Tuesday?
stevejos13

Post by stevejos13 »

Dont bet on horses but I predict a West Ham spurs final with a 4-1 win and rice scoring. That sure would be a good day out
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

stevejos13 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:20 am Dont bet on horses but I predict a West Ham spurs final with a 4-1 win and rice scoring. That sure would be a good day out
I'm not thinking beyond the Kidderminster match. It's the 5th Round, where we normally make our exit in the FA Cup, Just when we start dreaming of what could be
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

The Straw wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:34 pm London seems to be a reason
Yes it's the London thing, most northern clubs seem to think that refs are sway unduly by a club's location and that little ol' West Ham benefit from this.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

If the Lanzini goal would have been given against us I think I would have had the hump in fairness to "some" of the Leeds fans, but I also think it was the right decision to be allowed, it's just the lack of consistency around VAR - clear and obvious - clearly not being followed in some decisions, particularly when you see the Villa goal wiped off, the lack of consistency is what the real issue is.

Comfortable win for us, never felt like we had to get out of 2nd gear, may have just made the weekends game a little more to play for :D
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Offsides don't need to be clear and obvious to be overruled.

Just look at the 2nd goal against Brighton.

It wasn't offside, Vlasic stretches and kicks the ball again playing Bowen onside.
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

sendô wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:32 am Yes it's the London thing, most northern clubs seem to think that refs are sway unduly by a club's location and that little ol' West Ham benefit from this.
Mike Riley, one of the worstbtefs ever ( now in charge of the officials) was from, Leeds.
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

Working in Leeds yesterday all the sheep were moaning about the first goal as expected.
The range of arguments mostly centred on Bowen being offside but one or two showed themselves up by stating that Bowen fouled their keeper😀
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Thought it was odd that Bowen was singled out for diving. I don't remember a dive from him :?
Estuary
Has liked: 274 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:29 am Thought it was odd that Bowen was singled out for diving. I don't remember a dive from him :?
The OV was high in delusional and low on balance. But what makes it funny is they love Bielsa, who coaches like a school PE teacher.