Most overrated and underrated players

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators :  -DL-, Rio, the pink palermo, bristolhammerfc, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

GetUrWangOut
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Most overrated and underrated players

Post by GetUrWangOut » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:12 am

For a bit of fun on a Monday I’d be interested to hear peoples thoughts on the most underrated and overrated players in our current squad. I’ll start us off.

For underrated I would go with Cresswell (although potentially starting to get more plaudits now) his importance has been shown through our drop off because of his injury. For the record I’d still want a replacement sooner rather than later but that is only due to his age.

Overrated is so hard as I love all of the current squad but I’m going for Benhrama. Capable of a moment of magic but is too inconsistent for my liking to justify a place in our starting 11 long term.

S-H
GIF Git
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 2000 likes

Re: Most overrated and underrated players

Post by S-H » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:17 am

Underrated : Fabianski - I don't think people appreciate just how good he really is, and take the saves he does make for granted, just because he makes it look easy.

Overrated : Areola - Some people are desperate for him to be starting, despite not really doing anything to justify being ahead of Fabianski, he's a good keeper, but no one really knows how good yet.
Last edited by S-H on Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funky chicken
Has liked: 95 likes
Total likes: 354 likes

Post by funky chicken » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:19 am

For this season only, so far….

Underrated: Soucek. He’s had a lot of unfair criticism this season. The only thing he’s down on from last season is goals scored.

Overrated: Coufal. For me he’s been no more than 5/10 all season. And I actually think both Johnson and even Fredericks have performed better at right back than he has this season.

fjthegrey
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by fjthegrey » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:37 am

Plenty of underrated.

Overrated - Basically every youth team player.

Macca1973
Has liked: 431 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by Macca1973 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:44 am

Underrated: Ben Johnson - getting better every game. If he were a ‘Sky 6’ club player would already be being lauded as a future international.

Overrated: Antonio - has scoring purple patches due to his physical attributes but generally has the touch, decision making and finishing of a League Two player.

wolf359
Has liked: 423 likes
Total likes: 516 likes

Post by wolf359 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:46 am

Macca1973 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:44 am
Underrated: Ben Johnson - getting better every game. If he were a ‘Sky 6’ club player would already be being lauded as a future international.
If he was a 'Top3' player he'd been called up after making the bench for the first time like the rest of the 'who's' that Gareth likes to pick.

Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 191 likes

Post by Georgee Paris » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:35 am

Overrated - Rice
Underrated - Yarmolenko

Diogenes
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 267 likes

Post by Diogenes » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:45 am

Underrated - Dawson
Overrated - Johnson

westlondonhammer
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 177 likes

Post by westlondonhammer » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:48 am

Underrated: Dawson
Overrated: Rice

With Rice, it's not that I don't believe he is amazing, I do. I think there is a belief that without him we'd fall apart; I don't think we would now...

ironilunga
Has liked: 95 likes
Total likes: 247 likes

Post by ironilunga » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:57 am

I reckon Arthur is underrated. I think when he is utilised as a wingback in a strong West Ham side he can be effective for us. He has recently been exposed when playing with a weaker defence and when playing at LB. I think his role in the squad is quite niche now so I would understand if we loaned him out with a view to a sale. Who knows, maybe Dave can adapt him to a new role on the pitch?

Overrated is tricky. As FJ mentioned I’d probably say we go a bit OTT with our youth. However, that only ever comes from a good place and with a hope that they breakthrough.

Aceface
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 300 likes

Post by Aceface » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:22 pm

Overrated: Zouma. Not that he isn't good, mind. More that some of the hyperbole and rhetoric is far loftier than the actual performances would ever merit if they came from someone else.

Underrated: Dawson. Basically reverse the sentiments in the second sentence above. I would posit the hypothesis that a body swap between Dawson and Zouma would result in each maintaining the same level of acclaim and criticism they do currently.

Estuary
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by Estuary » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:04 pm

Current.

Overrated - I am with FJ.
Underrated - Antonio. If he played for a established CL side and European national team side he's getting a Ballon D'or top three nomination this season.

Historic.

Overated - Repka. No way on gods earth was that guy ever good enough to be a West Ham footballer, total bluffer.
Underrated - There are so many, but I'll go with Tony Gale who had the misfortune to play with one of the best centre halves of his generation in Alvin Martin. So Gale doesn't get the recognition his ability and performances deserve. As an example I would point you in the direction of a 2-2 home draw with Man Utd in '85/'86, Gale is known as a top footballing centre back, an old fashioned sweeper, but he was tough to, and was so good in this game a great forward like Mark Hughes went and played wider and deeper to get away from being dominated. that's not an isolated example, he played as well as that for most of his time at the club. Definitely goes under the "great West Ham players" radar to much for my liking.

Chesterfield Hammer
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Chesterfield Hammer » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:08 pm

Over rated Johnson
Under rated Fredericks

Overchuffed
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Overchuffed » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:25 pm

Clearly no right or wrong with a question like this, and very interesting to see some say Antonio is underrated, some say overrated. likewise for Areola etc.

Here's my two pennies worth:
Underrated: Bowen (not necessarily by the fans, but by the BBC pundits) - if you here Osman and Warnock last night just pass off the England comment with 'he needs to do more' - ... more of what exactly? If he was wearing a red shirt of any of the top 6 sides he's a nailed on England player every time.
Overrated: Rice - :winker: not worth a penny and other clubs shouldn't even bother looking at him. :winker: :crylol:

sendô
Has liked: 768 likes
Total likes: 689 likes

Post by sendô » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:04 pm

S-H wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:17 am
Underrated : Fabianksi - I don't think people appreciate just how good he really is, and take the saves he does make for granted, just because he makes it look easy.

Overrated : Areola - Some people are desperate for him to be starting, despite not really doing anything to justify being ahead of Fabianski, he's a good keeper, but no one really knows how good yet.
/thread

Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Clucking Bell » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:18 pm

Underrated: Fornals - I think he's got the best football brain at the club. If he had Lanzini's ability to shoot, he'd be our best player.

Overrated: a tie for me between Zouma and Benrahma. Admittedly, this is largely because of how much we paid for them but, I think that Ogbonna is the key player at the back and, at the moment, I'd perm any two of Fornals, Lanzini and Vlasic behind Bowen and Antonio.

To chime in with Estuary's historic hammers, I think that there's a fairly long list of underrated players: Geoff Pike, Neil Orr, Joey O'Brien, Hayden Mullins all spring to mind. Not necessarily the most talented but, did what's necessary. Overrated .... Joe Cole. I think he could have been the player of his generation, maybe he was ruined by Mourinho?

HammerAl
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by HammerAl » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:40 pm

Underrated: Fabianski
Overrated: Johnson

Denzil
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 79 likes

Post by Denzil » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:21 pm

Underrated: Ogbonna (his injury has shown how key he is to the spine of our team)

Overrated: Soucek. No slight on him, he’s done well for us and is such a key aerial asset in both boxes. However defensively whilst he can make key tackles I don’t think he reads the game too well and is often turned easily or misses an interception and offensively on the ball he is the worst of all of our options aside from the two CB’s. For me, the easiest position to upgrade. Would love someone who can play football to sit in a pivot with Rice.

Pentonville
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by Pentonville » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:37 pm

Underrated - Fabianski
Overrated - at a pinch, Rice

Historically

Overrated - Di Canio
Underrated. - Pike and Lomas

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 440 likes