West Ham Utd 2-3 Leeds Utd (16/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Leeds Utd: match thread

Post by pezza20 »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:58 pm I’ve watched the 3rd goal again since getting home and Vlasic has had a mare. Lack of control and bullied out of it. Wasn’t even a bad pass. Of course on FB etc, everyone blaming Diop.
I think the issue here was it was not a pass that Diop should have made - Cresswell was free to his left and 9 times out of 10 that is what Diop would have done, but after playing the pass, underweighted, puts Vlasic under pressure and leaves a gaping hole that Leeds then exploit after winning the ball off Vlasic.

It was just poor game management, but as others have said and I agree with, this wasn't about us playing badly, we just had little energy out there against a rested Leeds side, probably the worst side to come up against after a gruelling fixture list and a very limited squad numbers wise.

The game, as Beilsa said afterwards could have gone either way, exactly the same XG and on target shots - they just finished better on the day which happens on occasions.
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

As good a job as he's done, Moyes is becoming culpable on many fronts, not the least the transfer market. Too many excuses now and too much moaning about other factors, he is the one responsible for the predicament (virus aside). Considering our investment in a new scouting set up, the lack of any preparation for transfers before or early in the window, given our dire needs, is bordering on incompetence. I just hope that our season is not completely derailed because he cannot find these players that are a so called fit for us. Sometimes you just have to chose from what is available if you are desperate and we obviously are. It's mystifying that so many teams are playing youngsters and yet we don't. Perkins was given a cameo but why is Yarmolenko always being brought on for? He hasn't scored for 2 years and he couldn't even score for the academy where Okoflex was knocking them in for fun.

We were just so jaded and the only one that looked 'fresh' was Fornals for obvious reasons. The lack of squad depth is really taking it's toll, you could see the lack of imagination, the mistakes, the body language and not a smile to be seen (apart from the goals), unlike earlier in the season. Leeds team was not that good, nearly half were not first teamers, but we let them look good.

Vlasic just doesn't seem to be cutting it, how much time does a 'good' player need? Benny was a Championship player, not strong enough and lacking confidence so his long gestation was understandable but for a seasoned international, Vlasic should be doing better.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Time to change the bedsheets methinks!
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Real bitter pill to swallow losing that game. Defeats don't usually get to me but this one did for some reason. :fsake:
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2951 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Hamburger wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:00 am As good a job as he's done, Moyes is becoming culpable on many fronts, not the least the transfer market. Too many excuses now and too much moaning about other factors, he is the one responsible for the predicament (virus aside). Considering our investment in a new scouting set up, the lack of any preparation for transfers before or early in the window, given our dire needs, is bordering on incompetence.
Bitter pill to lose yesterday. But, as many have said, a lot of negative influences came together.

To call Moyes "incompetent" couldn't be more wrong. The man has made us a resilient and highly competent side over the last two years. With not much of investment. He made pretty average players into resilient Premier League professional, has transformed the vibe in and around the club.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

If we are being brutally honest the score line flattered us. We should’ve lost a lot more comfortably than we did. They missed 2 good chances before half time, had a goal ruled out for offside, Raphinha hit the bar/post from a freekick. And that’s just off the top of my head!

We were extremely lucky we was still in a position for Bowen’s miss at the death was costly.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

I thought Leeds played fantastically well. I'm not sure any team has worked that hard against us all season. I can see why they get so much fatigue and injuries playing at 500mph like that. If the Premier League season was as short as an NFL one, Leeds would be Champions League material.

Once they finally got ahead they just strangled us. The pressing of players who aren't good on the ball like Dawson and Diop stood out a mile.

It's odd though, we were poor by our standards and Leeds could have scored 5 but equally we gifted them at least two goals with shocking defending and should have had a last minute equaliser if Bowen had attacked that ball with his head/let it smash him in the face. Funny ol game!
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

It makes me laugh that the match threads of games we lose, always have more pages..
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

S-H wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:41 am It makes me laugh that the match threads of games we lose, always have more pages..
The Australians don't call us whinging poms for nothing.
Caribiron
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Caribiron »

I've not seen the TV coverage but my overall impression of the game.

Leeds did a really good job on our vulnerabilities. They correctly targeted the middle of our defence and equally flooded the centre of the park to stop Dec and Manu controlling the game. Manu ran the show last weekend but yesterday he was almost anonymous. The pockets of space he was picking up and even when the oppo was tight the space he created last week didn't happen yesterday. Wierdly we looked vulnerable on the flanks as well, and that's very unlike us.

Up front Micky seemed to drift out quite a lot. and was well shepherded but the movement around him felt a yard off the pace.

So...from a Leeds perspective it was a job well done.

Re Moyes. The problem we faced was the growing level of intensity Leeds brought. As the second half progressed and we started to make some headway they upped the intensity and that forced ever more errors. That's why, quite rightly, Moyes was pissed about the Norwich game. They had a week to learn and prepare, we had a week to prepare for two very different opponents, the second of which was against a rested Leeds side full of running and determination.

Yarmolenko and Arthur? I can only assume an attempt to desperately keep players fit and healthy.

...having said all of that, we could have won the game. We could easily have taken a point. Our finishing let us down and we were a little unlucky on occasion.

By the end, Diop looked completely shot. I'm sorry but he needs replacing. He was OK for a lower mid table club but if we've got aspirations then he's just not there. We badly need Zouma back and another top class central defender. Equally if we're relying on Yarmo and Arthur to be game changers then again, that's not enough. Carib jnr an I agreed on the way home that without genuine quality reinforcements we're relying on a a really good high quality 14-16 players...beyond that and we're just playing at it. We both accepted Lingard and a defender were a must for the window, with Lingard being held back till after next weeks game.

Yesterday felt like a game too far. Oh...and why oh why do we start games sooo poorly. We didn't wake up until they scored.

Still, loads of reasons to be positive, only 3 points from safety :winker:

:crest:
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Yesterday's was a tired perfirmance and we all feared it from the start.
We have a few days to prepare fir man utd where we must get a point at least .
Top 4 is Iver but top 6 is still doable.

Small tired squad was always going to run out of steam
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Dawson's missed header at 1-1 was a pivotal moment in the match
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:34 am Dawson's missed header at 1-1 was a pivotal moment in the match
We still equalised.

The pivotal moments were equalising and letting them take the lead again straight away.

Has we held on to 1-1 until half time we win.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

I'm beginning to wonder if the reason moyes hasn't won much regarding trophies etc is because he's just too honest as are his teams?
We watch as the likes of arsenal and liverpool manage to duck out games because of covid, and teams playing us with fouls, diving and time wasting.
As much as i don't want us to be seen like that, the fact is other teams benefit from it whilst we and up being the fall guys and miss out.
Maybe it's time we started playing the system as other teams do?
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

https://understat.com/match/16594

We had the better chances

Cresswell 5 key passes
Fornals, Antonio, Lanzini 2-2 each

Dawson & Bowen should had added 1-1 goal each

Raphina & Harrison were the best players on the pitch.
James should have added another for them.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

kitthehammer wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:48 am I'm beginning to wonder if the reason moyes hasn't won much regarding trophies etc is because he's just too honest as are his teams?
We watch as the likes of arsenal and liverpool manage to duck out games because of covid, and teams playing us with fouls, diving and time wasting.
As much as i don't want us to be seen like that, the fact is other teams benefit from it whilst we and up being the fall guys and miss out.
Maybe it's time we started playing the system as other teams do?
We already do, to a degree, on the pitch - we're no angels ourselves, when it comes to getting favourable decisions from the officials.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

kitthehammer wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:48 am I'm beginning to wonder if the reason moyes hasn't won much regarding trophies etc is because he's just too honest as are his teams?
I think there's an element of this.

Chelsea struggled massively against Leeds a few weeks ago, but lucky for them the ref was on hand to give them IIRC two generous penalties.

Man City struggled against ten man Wolves, but the ref gave them a pen for a handball that wasn't.

Spurs closed out the cup QF vs us by time wasting and falling to the floor every time we went near them.

Arsenal avoided a potential heavy defeat at Spurs by crying the game off due to injury, errrm I mean Covid.

Liverpool constantly win games by Mo Salad falling over and dangling his leg to initiate "contact".

Whereas we get Dawson hacked down from behind vs Burnley and the ref and VAR see nothing wrong.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

It was a good game though wasn't it, perhaps not in terms of quality, but it was proper end to end stuff, and very entertaining.

Had we won 3-2 it would be one of our most memorable games of the season.

On this occasion we lost, and as a result are probably over analyzing individual performances, and being overly critical.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

I still don’t see the issue with the Diop pass…he might have had other options, but no issue with that one either. It’s a mistake from Vlasic basically.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Indeed SH, and a nipples length away from snatching a rather undeserved point.

Leeds were at it, we weren't', and we all know the reason we looked so leggy.....a wafer thin squad has been stretched as far as it can go by a brutal schedule and a lack of reinforcements being brought in.