West Ham Utd 2-3 Leeds Utd (16/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Leeds Utd: match thread

Post by sendô »

S-H wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:08 am It was a good game though wasn't it, perhaps not in terms of quality, but it was proper end to end stuff, and very entertaining.

Had we won 3-2 it would be one of our most memorable games of the season.
Leeds, like Southampton and Brentford before them, will probably see this as their best win of the season.

It's a mark of where we are as a club at the moment that teams see us as a scalp and up their games when they face us.

We need to find a way to deal with it.
wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by wivenhoetim »

S-H wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:08 am It was a good game though wasn't it, perhaps not in terms of quality, but it was proper end to end stuff, and very entertaining.

Had we won 3-2 it would be one of our most memorable games of the season.

On this occasion we lost, and as a result are probably over analyzing individual performances, and being overly critical.
Agree SH
We shouldnt underestimate Leeds either, their league position does them no justice and in my view will be safely mid table by the end of the season. As an earlier poster said, Leeds are probably the worst team you want to face in a congested fixture run. Even without Philips, Bamford etc they will bully teams and chase down for 90 mins. Bielsa has one of the fittest teams in the league. Bowens miss was bit disappointing but felt Leeds deserved the points on the day. I dont agree with individual critisism, was just an off day for a tired team in a long season... Half way through and 4th, think we would all have taken that in August.. Lets not get ahead of ourselves chaps, its how we now deal with yesterday, find the positives and push on. - evolution not revolution. :newthumb:
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

wivenhoetim wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:28 am Agree SH
We shouldnt underestimate Leeds either, their league position does them no justice and in my view will be safely mid table by the end of the season. As an earlier poster said, Leeds are probably the worst team you want to face in a congested fixture run. Even without Philips, Bamford etc they will bully teams and chase down for 90 mins. Bielsa has one of the fittest teams in the league. Bowens miss was bit disappointing but felt Leeds deserved the points on the day. I dont agree with individual critisism, was just an off day for a tired team in a long season... Half way through and 4th, think we would all have taken that in August.. Lets not get ahead of ourselves chaps, its how we now deal with yesterday, find the positives and push on. - evolution not revolution. :newthumb:
Great post.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Caribiron wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:12 am
Yesterday felt like a game too far. Oh...and why oh why do we start games sooo poorly. We didn't wake up until they scored.
For me this has been really key as can't recall the last time we came out the blocks flying. I know we've won 4/5 games recently but even the games we have won (Watford and palace) we were very slow to get going. Watford score within 4 mins, Palace hit the post within a few mins of the start (if that goes in we likely dont win that one) and Leeds score within 10 mins. Probably loads of other examples too.
Still, I'm very happy to be a hammer at the moment (still 50% win rate) and whenever we do lose its never down to lack of effort. It's just lack of energy and concentration.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

funky chicken wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:30 am If we are being brutally honest the score line flattered us. We should’ve lost a lot more comfortably than we did. They missed 2 good chances before half time, had a goal ruled out for offside, Raphinha hit the bar/post from a freekick. And that’s just off the top of my head!

We were extremely lucky we was still in a position for Bowen’s miss at the death was costly.
Could have have 5-5, 4-5, 5-4 etc. Dawson and Bowen both missed sitters, Yarmalenko had a goal ruled out, their keeper pulled off a fine double save etc. etc.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

I feel like we can go around the houses with pulling out players but if so many are making mistakes, that points to there being something fundamentally wrong in how the team is set up. Most of them were pressured into making mistakes yesterday. I can't think of one player who wasn't guilty of messing up at some point.
I think moyes in saying we played too many games was to make point about arsenal but it doesn't excuse his team set up which looked like he thought we could have the same one v leeds as norwich.

He should have played kral. If he can't or won't then he had to set up the team in a different way or have someone else play in front of the defence to break leeds down. He can't just keep thinking Rice can play two defensive midfield positions 3 games in a row. He was knackered.
And the worst thing is , he had kral plus three defensive players on the bench plus masuaku he could have done that with. Johnson, Fredericks and Alese.
Could he not have played ben johnson in front of the back four instead of Lanzini? The guy is fairly two footed, can tackle and has energy.

Playing Lanzini there was suicide. You can play two of vlasic, fornals and Lanzini, not all three against a team like leeds.
Upminster Hammer
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by Upminster Hammer »

What was up with our throw ins yesterday?

Coufal was pitching them a yard in front of him (I was just waiting for a foul throw to be called) and creswell was waiting until they re-shaped and had us all marked.

Were Leeds just more disciplined at marking us than other teams have been or did we make hard work of them?
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Unless you're talking about one or two clubs, you can't compete in a Premier League game if 3 or 4 players are off the boil on the same day. From our starting XI yesterday I'd say Fabianski gets a pass as he didn't make any obvious errors and Bowen/Fornals can be happy with how they played in spells. Other than that there's not a single player that can say they played to their potential or to the standards they've been delivering for almost 2 years now.

Let's hope that having one serious game between now and 7th Feb is a good time for some key players to rest up and get ready to go hard at the 2nd half of the season.

None of the above should distract from Leeds' performance. That was everything good about Bielsa's management yesterday :newthumb:
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

As others have said, Beilsa had our number.

He had a week to review and identify our weaknesses and would have been naive not to expect him to.

We needed to change it up and didn’t. - couple that with a couple of poor performances our end, game over.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Upminster Hammer wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:45 am What was up with our throw ins yesterday?

Coufal was pitching them a yard in front of him (I was just waiting for a foul throw to be called) and creswell was waiting until they re-shaped and had us all marked.

Were Leeds just more disciplined at marking us than other teams have been or did we make hard work of them?
Our throw ins have been pony for ages. We hardly ever retain possession like most other teams do. We obviously don't practice movement from them. As for Coufal, his throw ins are foul ones, amazed that refs never call them.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

simonirons wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:02 am As others have said, Beilsa had our number.

He had a week to review and identify our weaknesses and would have been naive not to expect him to.

We needed to change it up and didn’t. - couple that with a couple of poor performances our end, game over.
Beilsa certainly did. He was very clever yesterday with how he targeted our defence.

As much as we have the benefit of hindsight now of wishing we changed the team up after the Norwich game I equally understand why Moyes didn’t.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2951 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

simonirons wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:02 am As others have said, Beilsa had our number.

Brutal against that man to man pressing from Leeds, when you had less rest.

We tried to get Lanzini on the ball to get outbof the press and get Rice moving. Unfortunally that didn't work and Manu panicked a lot when getzing put under immense pressure. Doesn't help, that both our CB's are poor in building from the back. Only basic passes, no diagonals, to get the fun started.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

We were woeful, yet might have snatched a point at the death. Probably one game to many in a week and it left the players a bit short of energy.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Upminster Hammer wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:45 am What was up with our throw ins yesterday?

There was no movement. I get the impression nobody really wanted the ball.
YeOldHammer
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by YeOldHammer »

My biggest irk currently is watching Yarmelenko come onto the pitch knowing he is simply not going to be here in 6 months time and offering very little in football terms to the squad. I still cannot fathom why Oko-Flex does not get game time to shine as a sub ahead of him, who cannot do any worse than Yarmelenko and get minutes under his belt to show what he is about.

With regards to the Leeds game they played in the fashion they always do and some poor lapses in defence cost us. A case of onto the next one.
ChikinRun
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by ChikinRun »

Good post Tim in Wivenhoe. Evolution is the key, though somehow the word seems to infer a long time for change to happen. For me, time is well and truly up, problems repeatedly stated and addressed on here need to sorted by the club now and in this summer IF we are to realize our top six ambitions.
It’s all been said on here, and I rarely get involved with tactics talk and stuff like that because i’m not brilliant in that regard so I leave it to others and try to learn. I didn’t think our tactics were wrong yesterday, certainly in context of being the cause of our downfall...it was the application. Players clearly tired, players clearly out of their depth, and players clearly not being trusted by DM, like Kral. Surely the evolving should be happening now, if a rested Kral can’t even get picked for yesterday’s game then why the **** is he on the bench? Arthur, Yarmo, Kral and Diop need to be upgraded, and Vlasic at 25 to 30 mill needs to be showing more. Dawson gets pelters sometimes, but he cost 3 mill...what do we expect? For me, he shows far more bottle and heart than Vlasic. Antonio looks knackered, needs a rest. A decimated Leeds over-ran us yesterday, not with a team of world class players, but with a team who were better rested than us, and with more players with more guts. At times like this in the season, when injuries and tiredness impact, as we all knew it would, for me it comes down to that...you need your squad players to at least give it some. We are carrying too many squad players, they are there to do a job and getting paid a prince’s ransom to do it, and they ain’t doing it.
By the way Tim, nice village.
Last edited by ChikinRun on Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Ironically, you wonder if removing Diop actually cost us a point because it was surely Perkins being present in the box and leaping that distracted Bowen from converting the chance in the final seconds.

Though I suppose butterfly theory dictates that that sequence never occurred had the substitution not happened.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

No Soucek making himself available.
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

S-H wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:41 am It makes me laugh that the match threads of games we lose, always have more pages..
Where it went wrong v us winning...
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

As someone else said, I think we did underestimate Leeds. They were definitely a different animal to what we faced last week, in terms of mentality and personnel. They started the game with high intensity and didn’t let up all game, we started slowly and it took us a while to go up a gear, I know we started to play better after going 1-0 down but I thought we were better in the second half really.

This game definitely had shades of Southampton about it. We were always chasing it, and after getting back in it we were either gifting goals by defensive mistakes or poor decisions. One thing about Moyes that is bloody annoying is how he’s so frugal in the transfer market and has a penchant to ‘work with what he’s got’. Personally I think we’ve scraped through this period with Diop and Dawson and now it’s costing us, why didn’t we have a centre back lined up to come on the 1st of Jan? Now we’re into the third week of the window and don’t look to be any closer to signing one, we probably won’t now Zouma is close. Of course though it’s never easy to find a player to come straight in and hit the ground running, and I’ll be glad when Zouma (and hopefully) Ogbonna are both back.

An entertaining game for the neutral this one. It could of gone either way really, we lost but could of won it on another day, or got a point if Bowen would of headed that ball in at the death rather than chested it, we could of also been beaten by more goals and rode our luck at times, especially with Raphina’s free kick, I thought that was in from where I sat.

A galling defeat but one to move on from I think. I clapped the players off at the end, we tried to get something. And we go again on Saturday, bring on the Manure and hopefully we’ll be in better shape.