West Ham Utd 2-3 Leeds Utd (16/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

codger
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Leeds Utd: match thread

Post by codger »

A fit and ready to go West Ham would have seen off this very diminished Leeds team normally.
I'm afraid that all the extra games played this season and for the Leeds game, the third in eight days
with a depleted squad, have taken their toll. In short the lads are knackered and without a proper recovery
time and using less than the best players, what else can be expected.
I have always been a staunch supporter of David Moyes but I am afraid his slip is showing and more of an effort
should have been made to strengthen the team. Playing with a very minimal squad under the present circumstances
is bound to have an adverse effect and needs to be addressed by him pronto.
Maybe a weeks rest will help against Man U next weekend.
Fingers crossed.
COYI.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

codger wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:21 pm
I have always been a staunch supporter of David Moyes but I am afraid his slip is showing and more of an effort
should have been made to strengthen the team.
COYI.
What makes you think that Moyes needs to make more of an effort to strengthen the team codger?.
You can spend 24 hours a day using all the effort you like but if the money isnt there for the appropriate players then all that effort amounts to nothing
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

If you look at the stats, Vlasic's 60 mins on the field was damning

0 dribbles
0 shots
0 aerials won
69% passing success
16 passes total
Dispossessed once (which would normally be an ok number, but...you know what happened that one time)

Against a patched up Leeds side that can't defend that's...not a good look for an attacker.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Aceface wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:38 pm If you look at the stats, Vlasic's 60 mins on the field was damning

0 dribbles
0 shots
0 aerials won
69% passing success
16 passes total
Dispossessed once (which would normally be an ok number, but...you know what happened that one time)

Against a patched up Leeds side that can't defend that's...not a good look for an attacker.
Indeed, Declan Rice had more dribbles down the left wing than him.
codger

Post by codger »

mushy wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:35 pm What makes you think that Moyes needs to make more of an effort to strengthen the team codger?.
You can spend 24 hours a day using all the effort you like but if the money isnt there for the appropriate players then all that effort amounts to nothing
How long have we been in dire need of a GOOD left back. A long long time.
Are we so broke that in spite of challenging for so many honours not the least being champions league, we cannot afford one player?
Lack of investment will only see the clubs value dropping in the future.
After 75 years supporting my club I have seen it all.
spod
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by spod »

codger wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:21 pm A fit and ready to go West Ham would have seen off this very diminished Leeds team normally.
I'm afraid that all the extra games played this season and for the Leeds game, the third in eight days
with a depleted squad, have taken their toll.
Leeds literally had a child on the subs' bench. We should have had enough to beat them, even having played an extra game.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Aceface wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:38 pm If you look at the stats, Vlasic's 60 mins on the field was damning

0 dribbles
0 shots
0 aerials won
69% passing success
16 passes total

That's quite damning. Are the stats for Fornals, Bowen and Lanzini similar?

I'm curious as to whether we were focussing our play down the other side, he was part of a bigger problem where our entire attack was useless, or whether he truly just had a terrible game.
codger

Post by codger »

spod wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:08 pm Leeds literally had a child on the subs' bench. We should have had enough to beat them, even having played an extra game.
West Ham also had "a child" using your words, playing. A seventeen year old.
HertsHammer89
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by HertsHammer89 »

codger wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:02 pm How long have we been in dire need of a GOOD left back. A long long time.
Are we so broke that in spite of challenging for so many honours not the least being champions league, we cannot afford one player?
Lack of investment will only see the clubs value dropping in the future.
After 75 years supporting my club I have seen it all.
Mixed feelings on Moyes and when it comes to the market. Clearly crying out to add to the squad and the subs we made yesterday only proved how much for all to see.

This month however will be a hard one to sort those problems. This time last year it was King and Dia being linked as the forwards to come in. You could say it was worth not taking the gamble on those.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4294 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

sendô wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:46 pm Indeed, Declan Rice had more dribbles down the left wing than him.
Declan played like Adama Traore.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:20 pm Declan played like Adama Traore.
But with less grease.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:14 pm That's quite damning. Are the stats for Fornals, Bowen and Lanzini similar?

I'm curious as to whether we were focussing our play down the other side, he was part of a bigger problem where our entire attack was useless, or whether he truly just had a terrible game.
He was the lowest rated player on either side, including the subs benches. Which obviously includes performances by Diop, Yarmolenko and Perkins and the Leeds foetuses.

As posted in the other thread, he also had fewer touches than Masuaku.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4294 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

As much as the defence are copping for it, the team shape was wrong with the individuals available and chosen.

We simply did not cope with the counter.

Certain players were meandering all over the pitch , leaving Lanzini as the DM god knows how often, whilst the retreat/recovery by ours was pitiful at time after they went 2-1 up.

On the one hand you could say we were being aggressive with the pressing by Rice especially, and it would have looked like a masterstroke had we won, but we were cavalier to the point of being reckless and their goals were coming almost all game.

Soucek's absence also changes who goes where when we defend corners. Rice dragged to the near post, Bowen sent to the back when he isn't normally part of the 'clear-it-crew'.

On rewatch, I honestly felt that Diop wasn't too bad until the final 15-20. Likewise Dawson.

They just got exposed repeatedly by ball players getting turned over and no real screen ahead of them.

The failure of the Kral signing really hurt us yesterday. It was a game for the Rice/Soucek deputy, but Moyes cannot rate him.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:29 pm The failure of the Kral signing really hurt us yesterday.
The shortcomings of the summer in general were on display yesterday. No Zouma – just one of those things. A Czech defensive midfielder was absent with the Czech defensive midfielder we brought in not good enough to replace him. The guy who replaced Benrahma for AFCON had a mare. And Areola, not a bad signing per se, hasn't played a minute of PL football so has had even less effect than the other 3.

And Moyes admitting Antonio was basically a passenger by the end due to tiredness.
We were chasing the game from 15 minutes in and it was really difficult to change him. He was out on his legs after the game but again what can we do?
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Moyes - "We were chasing the game from 15 minutes in and it was really difficult to change him (Antonio). He was out on his legs after the game but again what can we do?"

At a wild guess I'd say buy a striker, you've had a year?
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

How good is Raphinha? The thing that separates him from other similar players is he seems to routinely make the right decisions.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

leeds deserved the win - battled harder - passed it better - took their chances well

we move on
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1982 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:50 pm leeds deserved the win - battled harder - passed it better - took their chances well

we move on
...and they march
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Aceface wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:44 pm How good is Raphinha? The thing that separates him from other similar players is he seems to routinely make the right decisions.
I think it's really strange that Rennes sold him at a loss after one fairly productive season for them.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I think our overall performance was pretty much in keeping with previous efforts since injuries to our top defenders.

Dont think the fullbacks were too different to their efforts midweek. The pressure certainly told on the centrebacks though.

As usual our inconsistent forwards managed to create about 5 good chances and put away 2.

Similarly we allowed the opposition about 6 clear chances. The only difference is that unusually they were more clinical in their finishing.

Could have been the same story for any of our recent games.

We've shown we can handle 3 games in a week, obviously a factor but not the overriding reason..That was the absence of Soucek and no able deputy.

Not at all dismayed... so grateful we've had loads of luck in previous games.