West Ham Utd 2-3 Leeds Utd (16/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Leeds Utd: match thread

Post by sutts07 »

ageing hammer wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:11 pm For this game I am going :

---------------fabianski

----coufal--- dawson--- diop--- cresswell

----------- soucek ------Rice

-----bowen----- lanzini ----- fornals

----------------antonio
Not been able to post for two days, feel this is a touch harsh on Vlasic. Close between him and Fornals for the left wing spot now. The rest of it can't really be argued (unless Zouma is fit).

Huge game for us in terms of showing intent. If we keep playing and winning, our stronghold over that 4th spot increases and we become a serious part of the conversation. Spurs and Arsenal will have plenty of games, but they will start to run out of weeks to play them, Man Utd remain at arms length (even more so if this stays a draw) and they don't have too many in hand either.

Won't be easy but I hope the slightly loose approach to games Leeds have will leave us enough space to exploit and get the win here. Could be another frustrating one where we have to bide our time but we surely have enough.

Come on You Irons!
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Expect Leeds to give a better account of themselves than last week.

We can really pull away with a win so expect a typical West Ham nause up.

Saying that I think we will win and keep the momentum going. If Zouma is for he plays for me, at the expense of Diop.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Sawbo wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:14 am I was supremely confident for this game.
Until I saw Mike Dean was refereeing. :thdn:
Surely it can't be long until we start being treated like one of the sky 6.

As someone said the other day, the absolute wankfest that Arsenal had a few weeks ago when they went into the top 4. Us? Nothing. We're still very much under the radar and I hope it stays that way.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

'stone hammer wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:45 pm Surely it can't be long until we start being treated like one of the sky 6.

As someone said the other day, the absolute wankfest that Arsenal had a few weeks ago when they went into the top 4. Us? Nothing. We're still very much under the radar and I hope it stays that way.

They've started showing the top three on Sky Sports as we're ruining the picture book top 4 they want :lol:
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

'stone hammer wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:45 pm Surely it can't be long until we start being treated like one of the sky 6.

Agree. Win tomorrow and its points already in the bank whilst the usual suspect use covid to buy time for whatever.
Please win tomorrow West Ham.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Robbie wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:56 pm Agree. Win tomorrow and its points already in the bank whilst the usual suspect use covid to buy time for whatever.
Please win tomorrow West Ham.
We win tomorrow, people will start to take us seriously for 4th. However when that has happened before a collection of poor decisions, dodgy VAR reviews (for and against) usually follow. aka 'operation protect the Sky6'
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

The very last thing we should do is rush back Zouma, but, by the same token, if he can get the last quarter of this match under his belt, he's a better idea as a starter at Old Trafford (a game that is now more important to Man United than it might have been 48 hours ago).

We're surely seeing Raphinha from the start tomorrow, who is arguably the one player Leeds have who might cause a bidding war from teams in the top half.

The thing for me is that we've got a proper handful of creative players coming to the boil at a similar time, apparently piecing together a brand of football that even the top clubs struggle to fully contain.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a new selection from Weds so as to keep Rangnick guessing as to the team we put out from the start in our next match.

If they're missing Llorente, they get still more inexperienced to the ways of top flight football and we are in full force at the moment, especially if we can get Fornals and Lanzini developing a new wavelength, where they cover each other a little further up the pitch from Declan...

...whom they can coax forward for some shooting practice.

Too much for Leeds, tomorrow, imho. Not listening to any 'West Ham of old' legends or predictions.

The dream lives on.
EastEndIRON
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by EastEndIRON »

I purchased a couple of tickets for this one earlier today using the clubs online ticket office

However, they’ve only sent me a confirmation email - I’ve not received the tickets (as of yet)

Any idea if these are likely to be emailed out tomorrow morning? I don’t want to cut it too fine (particularly as it’s a 2pm kickoff)

Advice from anyone with previous experience would be greatly appreciated. Cheers :newthumb:
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Leeds’ threats come down the side, particularly with Phillips out.

Therefore I’d play Fornals to cover a rusty Cresswell but keep Lanzini deep with Rice and Vlasic central behind Antonio.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Good start. Just found out the Brighton to London mainline is closed tomorrow for annual repairs.

That's made my journey a lot more fun. :swear:
Aurora borealis
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Aurora borealis »

Start Vlasic, Fornals head is with his newborn kid
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Aurora borealis wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:26 pm Start Vlasic, Fornals head is with his newborn kid
What? :lol:

His ball set up our second in the cup and he was great against Norwich.

Fair enough Vlasic has been great, but this is nonsense!
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

We have a run of 6 reasonably winnable games starting tomorrow, before we get to Liverpool away in early March. Our end of season position could hinge on this run. Keep piling on the points and the goal difference which is as good as an extra point and we can really put pressure on those behind us who will need to do the same or we will cut them adrift.

Leeds will be a bit more of match, but their last defeat is still fresh and that gives us the psychological edge.
Can’t see anything but a win for us against these - 3-0
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

wolf359 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:03 pm We win tomorrow, people will start to take us seriously for 4th. However when that has happened before a collection of poor decisions, dodgy VAR reviews (for and against) usually follow. aka 'operation protect the Sky6'
They started that a few weeks ago mate look at our last game

To overcome var and bent refs Our new stratedgy is score 3 goals to win 3-2
:lol:
Colonial Marine
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Colonial Marine »

The best team we can play against because they always attack and leave space for our counter. I think the only things that can scupper us tomorrow are:

Complacency: hopefully not, no real signs of that under Moyes.

Stupid red card: always a possibility either from a poor player decision or a poor ref decision.

A win would be amazing, daylight between us and 5th.
IronRhino
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by IronRhino »

Aurora borealis wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:26 pm Start Vlasic, Fornals head is with his newborn kid
Agreed, Vlasic has earned a starting place and you can see his contribution and confidence growing with each game.

Fornals is also the perfect substitute to bring on against a tiring Leeds side
devonshire flu
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by devonshire flu »

I don't want to make it look like I agree with turtlecharityracer, who is an out and out troll, but I rest Vlasic for this one.

Normal back 5. Rice & Soucek. Fornals, Lanzini & Bowen. Antonio up front.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

devonshire flu wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:50 pm I don't want to make it look like I agree with turtlecharityracer, who is an out and out troll, but I rest Vlasic for this one.

Normal back 5. Rice & Soucek. Fornals, Lanzini & Bowen. Antonio up front.
Yep I'd go for Fornals as a few others have said to try a keep Raphinha quiet. He is the key player for them.

Sacrifices Fornals attacking threat a bit but without Soucek we have less bite.

They will be better with Forshaw and Raphinha. We will need to earn an hard win.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

El brooko79 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:57 pm Yep I'd go for Fornals as a few others have said to try a keep Raphinha quiet. He is the key player for them.
I don't think "keep them quiet" is the way to beat Leeds. We have to outscore them.

They might get one or two. We might get three or four.

Keep Vlasic in for me.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

sendô wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:59 pm I don't think "keep them quiet" is the way to beat Leeds. We have to outscore them.

They might get one or two. We might get three or four.

Keep Vlasic in for me.
I know what you mean but with our CBs out plus Soucek we are unbalanced and keeping Raphinha quiet would be a good idea.

But thinking about it, if Soucek is out and Lanzini plays deep - I'm not sure who I thought would be playing CAM - that will have to be Vlasic so both he and Lanzini to play!

If by some miracle Kral starts then yeah Vlasic left and Manu at 10.