Manchester Utd 1-0 West Ham Utd (22/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Re: ⚽ Manchester Utd vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

I maybe remembering things through C&B tinted specs but I’m sure we’ve had VAR decisions go against us because a knee or an arm was adjudged to be offside?

Hands are ok then, well at least they are if your the so called Big 6
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Yesterday I saw a good game of football. I saw a West Ham side battling to the last, still trying to win the game at the death. I saw fit players, giving it their all for the claret and blue. I saw us competing against a star studded side that cost a fortune, on their home turf, and almost coming away with something we thoroughly deserved.
I saw a young West Ham player, head and shoulders above all else on the park - which included the likes and millions of Ronaldo & Fernandes. I saw enough from the game to know we are worth our place in the top 8, and still in the battle for top 4-6.
I saw us playing under the most experienced management team we have ever had. I saw players who believe in their boss, and the system they have been moulded to play.
I saw players disappointed and hurt with the end result. I saw players who I know will learn from it and go out and give it all again for us next time.
I saw more than enough to keep the faith.
:hammb:
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

You don’t want goals like that ruled out. It’s so minute that even after the forensic analysis it’s not entirely clear he’s off. Thats good enough.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Junco Partner wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:36 am 1 substitution, a right back for a right back on 70mins. With Fornals & Lanzini both having rare stinkers and Antonio having another shocker I’m still scratching my head this morning at Moyes’ reluctance to make changes.

Look how Man Utd’s done.
I know there's not many options with Benrahma not back yet, but I agree.

Fredericks I kind of understand, Coufal was having a bit of a nightmare and Rashford tore him apart last year.

But no Vlasic for a very poor Lanzini? Odd.
Bubbles Fortuna

Aceface wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:48 am You don’t want goals like that ruled out. It’s so minute that even after the forensic analysis it’s not entirely clear he’s off. Thats good enough.
I think the issue is Ace that on the other side they'd have been forensic. Just look at the Aston Villa goal.

VAR was meant to stop the bias towards the Sky 6, it appears to have made it worse.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Is it not a massive positive that we’re now in a position to be royally pissed off by not taking something from Old Trafford?
Bubbles Fortuna

hammers92 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:54 am Is it not a massive positive that we’re now in a position to be royally pissed off by not taking something from Old Trafford?
This is where I am.

If I was told when Moyes arrived that we'd have two top 7 finishes in a row and we'd play in Europe two seasons in a row I'd be absolutely delighted.

7th is a great season for us.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:56 am
7th is a great season for us.
I think this is forgotten too often as historically, we follow up good seasons with relegation battles.

Couple of bodies in to freshen things up, the winter break to recharge and we’ll be good to go.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

after watching west ham for over 45 years I think its not about losing the faith its about seeing a good opportunity for WHU to actually have a few good years ahead but only if the board invest now. we have a good first 11 when fit and rested but the nature of the PL plus EL and cups mean that injuries and loss of form are part of the game and you need to have a strong squad to do well and challenge.
I am not talking about spending 60m on a player but to leav our squad short of decent cover at LB, LCB , CM and CF is criminal and a waste of the talented players we have at the club; at the moment. rice and bowen will be gone in the summer if we dont invest and finish the season well.
rice talking up old trafford in his interview means I think he fancies some CL at the biggest club in england.

back to the match and the same failings appeared at left back; cresswell not back to his best and too slow now. up front bowen was quick and sharp but antonio was poor and has been for ages. if only we had a broja or daka type to replace him with. Both were available but were taken by leicester and saints(loan from chelsea). other examples of decent forwards for 20m are out there. so for moyes to say he has been looking for 2 years is madness. he wants a player as good as antonio; well at the moment antonio is poor and needs a rest from the team. This is where a decent second striker comes in.

seeing yarmolenko masuaka fredericks on the bench tells rice where he must go. a bad season for man utd but they are 4th and in the cups.

we have a break now after us cramming our matches in and suffering for it. teams below us will catch us ;spurs and arsenal possibly wolves unless we make signings and come back better in february.

CB LB and striker gives us a chance. you know what you have to do Mr Moyes !
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

billtho wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:10 am The fact is that we were beaten by a crap man utd and apart from Oggy that is probably our best team so let's face it we just aren't as good as we think we are.We had our bad run after the last international break and wins over Watford norwich and a very lucky win at Palace just papered over the cracks.Buy now Moyes because if its a 10th place finish for us the natives will get restless.
Its certainly not a crap Man Utd. They have been playing well below par in some games but today they did raise their game by some very good pressing and energy which has been lacking recently. Even their bench was world class. So lets not beat ourselves up too much.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

WestHamLyallStyle wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:14 pm Troll Football (@TrollFootball) Tweeted: The VAR referee for the Man Utd vs West Ham game https://t.co/mqa7KoVV6N
:grin:
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

we have a good team but it has run out of steam in a few areas.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:51 am I know there's not many options with Benrahma not back yet, but I agree.

Fredericks I kind of understand, Coufal was having a bit of a nightmare and Rashford tore him apart last year.

But no Vlasic for a very poor Lanzini? Odd.
Not odd at all from me as I thought Lanzini put in a real shift and played very well. For all Man Utd possession our middle 3 screened the defence really well and restricted them. I can only remember Areola having one save to make. As for attack, the majority of our best stuff was through Lanazini. No, personally I would have replaced Antonio with Vlasic.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

lanzini is too lightweight for a screening role. it needed a kral or noble in there but as we know both not good enough.
lanzini should have been off at halftime with fornals playing centrally and vlasic wide.
antonio should also have been off at half time but we know we cant take him off as the cupboard is bare

man utd are not crap this season they are 4th ! they have just underperformed by their high standards. can see them finishing 3rd with chelsea 4th spurs 5th arse 6th wolves 7th WHU 8th !
we may scrape 7th

we have wasted too many games now
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

hammerman11 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:59 am after watching west ham for over 45 years I think its not about losing the faith its about seeing a good opportunity for WHU to actually have a few good years ahead but only if the board invest now. we have a good first 11 when fit and rested but the nature of the PL plus EL and cups mean that injuries and loss of form are part of the game and you need to have a strong squad to do well and challenge.
I am not talking about spending 60m on a player but to leav our squad short of decent cover at LB, LCB , CM and CF is criminal and a waste of the talented players we have at the club; at the moment. rice and bowen will be gone in the summer if we dont invest and finish the season well.
You improve the squad by bringing in players better than we have already so that our current players become the squad players.
No point in spending our meagre resources, compared to others, on padding out the squad. We have been down that road before and where did it lead?
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Aceface wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:48 am You don’t want goals like that ruled out. It’s so minute that even after the forensic analysis it’s not entirely clear he’s off. Thats good enough.
No we don't want goals like that ruled out.
What we do want is that they're ruled in or out equally across the league not based on who scores them.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I think the difference was the quality they could bring off their bench, versus the quality we could bring off ours
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

hammers92 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:54 am Is it not a massive positive that we’re now in a position to be royally pissed off by not taking something from Old Trafford?
This sounds like a sensible line but it's based on a past history of Manchester United being excellent and us being terrible.

There's nothing to be proud of in going to Old Trafford and having one shot on target at the current time.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

ornchurch ammer wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:24 am You improve the squad by bringing in players better than we have already so that our current players become the squad players.
No point in spending our meagre resources, compared to others, on padding out the squad. We have been down that road before and where did it lead?
:newthumb:
Yep! 'Pushing for top 4'' from where we finished last term is one of the most difficult things to achieve without huge resources.
That doesn't mean we could have done something with the squad but it's always a punt.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

I think the difference was attitude.

I love Declan, I think he is a great footballer, but he doesn't seem to be an on the pitch leader yet, despite lots of pointing in random directions.

We need to be nastier in midfield. We let them dance around us without putting a big tackle in. An in his prime Noble would have bossed that.

Creswell has been nowhere near where he was pre injury, Coufal is facing the same problem that Johnson has faced in a lack of cover in right midfield (Bowens job) and Rice looks like he wants to be an attacking midfielder now.

Antonio was so isolated because he was constantly pushed wide. There was no balls through the middle. We lobbed countless floaty balls up to him which Maguire was comfortable with.

The positives were Zouma who was solid, Lanzini who tried to link the play and Areola whos distribution choices (except the one error) was first class.