Manchester Utd 1-0 West Ham Utd (22/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Re: ⚽ Manchester Utd vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by HammerAl »

Bristol, not sure about attitude but more squad depth. We had no match winners on our bench.

I also think Rice leads by example and players look up to him even at his age. And I’m not sure we need to be nastier. There aren’t really any “nasty” midfields anymore as you’re only ever 2 mistimed tackles away from being sent off. Our midfield two is probably the biggest and most physical in the league.

Agree with the rest of your post, although I think many are bigging up Areola’s distribution - he can kick a ball further and straighter than Fab but he’s no Ederson.
claretchris
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 85 likes

Post by claretchris »

As gutting as the result was, and others recently have been, it’s worth remembering that there are still 15 games left and none of the teams in and around us have shown massive consistency. That’s part of the reason we’re here in the first place…

We can still have a say in the European places with a decent final 3rd to the season. :crest:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 878 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Aceface wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:48 am You don’t want goals like that ruled out. It’s so minute that even after the forensic analysis it’s not entirely clear he’s off. Thats good enough.
You don’t, I agree but it does sometimes feel like if the boot was on the other foot…………

Anyhow, we lost and nothing will change that. As others have said it is a measure of our progress under Moyes that we are pissed off with the result, in years gone by we would have leaked a minimum of 3 goals as we did on a regular basis.
We are still a work in progress and Rome wasn’t built in a day. We do need to strengthen the squad though because that was the difference yesterday, the reserves available on the bench when needed, and Lingard didn’t even come off the bench.
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 501 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

The Old Mile End wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:45 am Yesterday I saw a good game of football. I saw a West Ham side battling to the last, still trying to win the game at the death. I saw fit players, giving it their all for the claret and blue. I saw us competing against a star studded side that cost a fortune, on their home turf, and almost coming away with something we thoroughly deserved.
I saw a young West Ham player, head and shoulders above all else on the park - which included the likes and millions of Ronaldo & Fernandes. I saw enough from the game to know we are worth our place in the top 8, and still in the battle for top 4-6.
I saw us playing under the most experienced management team we have ever had. I saw players who believe in their boss, and the system they have been moulded to play.
I saw players disappointed and hurt with the end result. I saw players who I know will learn from it and go out and give it all again for us next time.
I saw more than enough to keep the faith.
:hammb:
Good post TOME but I’d disagree with the opening line. I thought the football on display was shocking. Maybe it’s fatigue or something but we were awful in possession yesterday. Balls played directly to the opposition under minimal pressure, balls put directly out of play from attempted passes several times. The standard was appalling. I know people will say Man U pressed us but this is the self-styled best league in the world with players on eye-watering salaries.
Rusty old Iron
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Rusty old Iron »

The Old Mile End wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:45 am Yesterday I saw a good game of football. I saw a West Ham side battling to the last, still trying to win the game at the death. I saw fit players, giving it their all for the claret and blue. I saw us competing against a star studded side that cost a fortune, on their home turf, and almost coming away with something we thoroughly deserved.
I saw a young West Ham player, head and shoulders above all else on the park - which included the likes and millions of Ronaldo & Fernandes. I saw enough from the game to know we are worth our place in the top 8, and still in the battle for top 4-6.
I saw us playing under the most experienced management team we have ever had. I saw players who believe in their boss, and the system they have been moulded to play.
I saw players disappointed and hurt with the end result. I saw players who I know will learn from it and go out and give it all again for us next time.
I saw more than enough to keep the faith.
:hammb:
Agree with all of this, good , sensible, balanced post!!
Bucksexile
Has liked: 264 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Bucksexile »

Tome has got it exactly correct.

Some of us have been with with this club for a long time. We have seen it all.

What we are seeing now is a truly amazing squad that can compete with the best of them.

One game at a time is how it's done. Even league champions loose games.

We support our players constantly and consistently. Not just when they are winning.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 2031 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Aceface wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:27 am This sounds like a sensible line but it's based on a past history of Manchester United being excellent and us being terrible.

There's nothing to be proud of in going to Old Trafford and having one shot on target at the current time.
Absolutely.

‘Going to Old Trafford’ their home form has been pretty **** for a while. They haven’t been Man Utd standard for years. Their performance was also poor. The reality is we’ve gone to a side who aren’t much better than us and put in a shocking performance. As for battling to the end, we barely did anything for most of the game. It was negative and we had a go in the last 10 minutes, where poor decision making cost us the point we pretty much went there for.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Those people wondering why Moyes didnt bring Vlasic on for Lanzini, its because Vlasic wasnt on the bench. Our only attacking option was Yarmolenko, or else Noble in midfield.
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

sendô wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:31 am Those people wondering why Moyes didnt bring Vlasic on for Lanzini, its because Vlasic wasnt on the bench. Our only attacking option was Yarmolenko, or else Noble in midfield.
Vlasic was on the bench
Diogenes
Has liked: 477 likes
Total likes: 1199 likes

Post by Diogenes »

sendô wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:31 am Those people wondering why Moyes didnt bring Vlasic on for Lanzini, its because Vlasic wasnt on the bench. Our only attacking option was Yarmolenko, or else Noble in midfield.
Are you sure? I could have sworn he was named in the match day squad.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

According to rhe BBC he was on the bench
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 563 likes
Total likes: 922 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Yeah, Vlasic or Yarmo were obvious options. Kral on to allow one of Fornals or Lanzini to go more attacking, and as we know Masuaku is a much better attacker than defender.

Just don't get the reluctance to make any change bar 1 like-for-like at RB, subs are such a massive factor tactically nowadays but our David has a big blind spot over them.
IronRhino
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by IronRhino »

I think we are missing Benny, a player who can make things happen in the top third of the pitch.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 807 likes
Total likes: 3020 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

It took Manchester United 93 minutes to score against us yesterday, just a few minutes after a moment when we should have taken the lead.

A well balanced game, pretty evenly matched, with the hosts just shading it.

We've come a long way in a couple of seasons -leaving Old Trafford disappointed because we deserved a point after giving them a good game. The reaction of their supporters when they scored was sufficient evidence for me that they knew we were their equal on the day.

Them's the breaks.
hammerofthedogs
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by hammerofthedogs »

the pink palermo wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:53 am It took Manchester United 93 minutes to score against us yesterday, just a few minutes after a moment when we should have taken the lead.

A well balanced game, pretty evenly matched, with the hosts just shading it.

We've come a long way in a couple of seasons -leaving Old Trafford disappointed because we deserved a point after giving them a good game. The reaction of their supporters when they scored was sufficient evidence for me that they knew we were their equal on the day.

Them's the breaks.
Couldn't agree more. They celebrated like it was the winner in the Cup Final and contrary to some opinions I thought it was a good combative game although lacking the finesse that both squads are capable of - albeit they should be beating us with their squad if all firing. I parked in Altrincham and rode the Metro back and overwhelmingly the locals (and not so locals) felt they were fortunate to get a point and that we matched them.

Personally I thought they just had the resources to be able to want it more at the end and just scraped it - no complaints and on to the next 4 winnable games. The good thing is that the 5th elusive victory in a row will be against Liverpool which we will likely lose anyway - but who knows...
sendô

Post by sendô »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:37 am According to rhe BBC he was on the bench
Hmm, sky sports app yesterday didnt list him. Id assumed he had covid.

One of Moyes big weaknesses for me is use of substitutions. Noble for Lanzini and Vlasic for antonio.
neathiron
Has liked: 487 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by neathiron »

Considering a lot of the play was based in the middle of the park yesterday and chances were few and far between, I'm amazed Match Of The Day failed to show the two driving runs towards the box from Bowen to fill out the highlights. The one in the 1st half when he brought the ball down, think it was over Maguire's head ( which is a feat in itself) was a great piece of skill.
sendô

Post by sendô »

neathiron wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:22 am Considering a lot of the play was based in the middle of the park yesterday and chances were few and far between, I'm amazed Match Of The Day failed to show the two driving runs towards the box from Bowen to fill out the highlights. The one in the 1st half when he brought the ball down, think it was over Maguire's head ( which is a feat in itself) was a great piece of skill.
Yesterday was more about selling Rice to Yanited, selling Bowen to Liverpool is for next week.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

the pink palermo wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:53 am Them's the breaks.
Yes and no.

There’s the intangible. The knowledge that they would get 2 last minute winners to do the double on us and not the other way around.

Then there’s the tangible. They can bring on 3 strikers, we’ve got one flogged to death.

Some things don’t change. I’ve seen us win once in the League at OT in a couple of dozen visits, yet I’ve seen us win a few times in the Cups.

It’s not bad luck, but it is fate.
neathiron
Has liked: 487 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by neathiron »

sendô wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:25 am Yesterday was more about selling Rice to Yanited, selling Bowen to Liverpool is for next week.
I noticed they showed a clip of Alex Ferguson in the crowd sendo. They missed a trick, they could have shown Rice immediately either side of showing Fergie and said 'I wonder which player is impressing Sir Alex today?'