Best support band you've seen?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Re: Best support band you've seen?

Post by wolf359 »

Few I remember from the distant past.

Manic Street Preachers at Maine Road opening for Oasis were really good.

Beck opening for the The Verve at Haigh Hall in Wigan

Chemical Brothers again for Oasis and the Manchester Arena - loud doesn't even come close, I though the place was going to shake apart.
Last edited by wolf359 on Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 468 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:19 am That’s a cracking couple of double headers there
Indeed, but way more luck than judgement !
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

I wasn't at the concert but Thin Lizzy supported Queen in the USA , they were so good the fans started chanting for them when Queen took the stage.

Freddie Mercury swore they would never be allowed support them again :grin:

I remember watching a young band for 50p entrance on a few Sunday afternoons in Cork in a small hotel function room.

They were billed as the next big thing and a lot of bands were given a few gigs there .

I didn't think they were very good.

Bono and U2 proved me wrong I guess :crylol:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Ageing :lol:

Not quite at your U2 level, but remember seeing a very young prodigy before they made it big.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

Screeming Custard supporting Cranes at the Camden Falcon in 1990. They were so good i bought their tour t-shirt.

On that tangent, the best tour t-shirt I ever saw was for a support act, it said "My mate went to see Orbital and all I got was this lousy Pressure of Speech t-shirt".
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

I saw Sebadoh support The Lemonheads at the small O2 venue (name escapes me) about 4-5 years ago. they ****ing smashed it. Shame there were not more people to witness it.
Tin Hat
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Tin Hat »

Biffy Clyro supporting the Foo Fighters Milton Keynes '11. Unbelievable.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

I suppose The Who supported by AC/DC and the Stranglers doesn't really count ..... or Queen supported by more or less everyone at Live Aid :smiler:

I'll go for Magazine supported by Bauhaus at the Lyceum. In fact, Magazine always had good support acts.
frankiemac 69
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by frankiemac 69 »

Saw Tool support Rage Against The Machine at the Town & Country Club in 92/93,Also Screaming Trees support Alice In Chains at the same venue.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Somewhere in Birmingham. 1971. 3 bands can't remember who appeared in what order but the 3 were Lindesfarne, Genesis and Van Der Graaf Generator so any 2 were support bands I suppose. Can't think of any better at the min.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

'In the mists of time' again. Judas Priest supporting Budgie at the Marquee. Never followed Priest later, but they were effin brilliant. The two bands combined for an encore rock'n'roll jam. At one point, Halford hit a very high, operatic note and Burke Shelley put his hand through his crutch and squeezed his b*llocks!
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I went to see The Rolling stones in 1973, the Goats Head Soup tour. The support act was a chap called Billy Preston. He was rather good.
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Tin Hat wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:10 pm Biffy Clyro supporting the Foo Fighters Milton Keynes '11. Unbelievable.
Them for me too, supporting Muse.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

ageing hammer wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:21 pm I wasn't at the concert but Thin Lizzy supported Queen in the USA , they were so good the fans started chanting for them when Queen took the stage.

Freddie Mercury swore they would never be allowed support them again :grin
That's triggered a memory, Ageing,
late 80s, Dumpy (of D's Rusty Nuts fame) supporting Hawkwind @Bristol Hippodrome Aload of us rolled up on bikes (Dumpy, if you never saw him was a bikers favourite). As mad as he was, the place was rocking, he really got into it, and they couldn't get him off stage, the Wind's roadies eventually unplugged him, there was a riot, chairs etc ripped up, and Dumpy was banned from all Bristol venues!! (his eventual return,involving a boat, another story for another day.)
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Tenbury wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:56 am That's triggered a memory, Ageing,
late 80s, Dumpy (of D's Rusty Nuts fame) supporting Hawkwind @Bristol Hippodrome Aload of us rolled up on bikes (Dumpy, if you never saw him was a bikers favourite). As mad as he was, the place was rocking, he really got into it, and they couldn't get him off stage, the Wind's roadies eventually unplugged him, there was a riot, chairs etc ripped up, and Dumpy was banned from all Bristol venues!! (his eventual return,involving a boat, another story for another day.)

I was friendly with Dumpy and went to quite a few of the gigs on a tour supporting Hawkwind (I think Dumpy only supported Hawkwind on one tour) I think it is fair to say some of the hippies really didn't get him but he went down a storm in most places.

As to the original post, a couple that spring to mind
Motorhead supporting the Damned
Blackfoot supporting the Scorpions early eighties - absolutely rocked the place and TBH the Scorpions were a bit of an anti-climax
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 468 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Tin Hat wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:10 pm Biffy Clyro supporting the Foo Fighters Milton Keynes '11. Unbelievable.
I was at that one too, Biffy are excellent and never disappoint.

Next time at the MK Bowl the Foos had the wonderful Iggy Pop in support, he is hugely entertaining and somehow still alive
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Soundgarden, supporting Mudhoney in May 1989 at Portsmouth Poly Students' Union. Stonking gig! Birth of Grunge in the UK!

Also, in a different vein altogether, EMF, supporting Adamski in London somewhere (was on the guest list and it is all a bit hazy). EMF blew Adamski off stage: despite the image, they were **** hot live...
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1860 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

Clucking Bell wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:15 pm I suppose The Who supported by AC/DC and the Stranglers doesn't really count ..... or Queen supported by more or less everyone at Live Aid :smiler:

I'll go for Magazine supported by Bauhaus at the Lyceum. In fact, Magazine always had good support acts.
Works for me, Quo and the Alarm supporting Queen at Wembley in 1986.
Wasn't impressed by INXS though.

Marrillion and Nazareth supporting Quo at Milton Keynes in 84 were pretty good too :coolas:
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

I’ve been fortunate enough to see loads of amazing support bands. Favourites of mine who were/became headliners in there own right. So big props go out to Mindfunk who gave Slayer a run for their money in the early 90’s. So much so, that a fiercely partisan Slayer audience gave them a rapturous ovation
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

Late 80's early to mid 90's The Almighty supported a lot of good bands. I would love to see them reunite.
Rio, you might help me remember here. I recall Machine Head supporting Slayer I think in the mid 90's. Brixton Academy I think. Is that right?