FAC4: Kidderminster Harriers 1-2 AET West Ham Utd (5/2/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: ⚽ Kidderminster Harriers vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Puff Daddy »

Jabsco79 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:18 am The beyond embarrassing spectacle of a Ukrainian with over 100 caps for his country, wearing a West Ham shirt, throwing himself to the ground against a non-league defender, summed up the whole performance for me.
I thought it was good to see a West Ham player take a dive in the box for change and see, if you can con the ref into awarding a pen. Had it been Liverpool, Kiddy were playing yesterday, Mo Salah wouldn't have needed any second invitation to go down under the faintest of touches round his ankles. We don't do this enough for my liking we are sometimes, too honest for our own good. If you are to do it, you need to get the timing spot on, but I do agree, his was too blatant
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:41 am I thought it was good to see a West Ham player take a dive in the box for change and see, if you can con the ref into awarding a pen. Had it been Liverpool, Kiddy were playing yesterday, Mo Salah wouldn't have needed any second invitation to go down under the faintest of touches round his ankles. We don't do this enough for my liking we are sometimes, too honest for our own good. If you are to do it, you need to get the timing spot on, but I do agree, his was too blatant
It was good to see a West Ham player cheating?

Not for me.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:41 am I thought it was good to see a West Ham player take a dive in the box for change and see, if you can con the ref into awarding a pen. Had it been Liverpool, Kiddy were playing yesterday, Mo Salah wouldn't have needed any second invitation to go down under the faintest of touches round his ankles. We don't do this enough for my liking we are sometimes, too honest for our own good. If you are to do it, you need to get the timing spot on, but I do agree, his was too blatant
I agree.

I hope Rice does it in the final.

And that Antonio handballs another one into the net.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Can understand frustration Puff but can’t agree with a West Ham player diving I’m afraid.

I look forward to the pundits condemning Salah et al just as clearly as they did Yarmolenko when they next do it though….but won’t hold my breath.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Just watched the game again

Couple.of things for me:

Their goal was down to Areola. No one else. If you are a keeper and come for the ball and don't get it then it is on you

Diop gave away the foul with a rash challenge but the ball to him from Bowen was a hospital pass which created the problem

Noble was playing far too deep and trying to pick the ball up deeper than the CBs and play. This never ever works

Yarmalenko was involved in pretty much every decent scoring opportunity of note except the equaliser. Plenty of players were worse than him but the dive was poor - lanzini, soucek, Antonio, Noble, Benny all done it so he isn't the only one

Diop was no worse than Zouma

Kral wasn't great but it is hard to expect players with almost no game time to come in and be on top form, especially in that kind of alien environment. If you are not playing much at all then you are not up to speed with competitive football

For all the handwringing we did deserve to win based on chances created
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

Believer wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:51 am I agree although I will say that a lot of that is down to the collectively poor window delivered by him and the board.

If as he says it’s because he wants better than our current squad and couldn’t find them, then he needs to give his head a wobble, as it was clear today that our squad players just aren't good enough.

If Zouma is indeed injured for any length of time, all of our upcoming opposition will undoubtedly target Diop. For months, Ive defended the big fella but something has gone wrong with him. He has zero confidence. If Rice or Soucek get injured, we clearly can’t rely on either Noble or Kral. Without Antonio, we’ve got nothing up front.

If he only wants better, then maybe he needs to lower his opinion of our squad cos today told me that players like Fredericks, Yarmalenko, Diop and Kral are not good enough and it wouldn’t take much to upgrade them.

We got through today cos of Rice. He single handedly grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and pushed us across the line.

All of this said though, I personally think his comments were playing to the masses. We had no money. We had no intention of spending money and we will need to probably sell one of the Crown Jewels just to carry on in the summer. Quite what the board have done with our money is open to debate but the debts just been paid off by Kretinsky yet we still couldn’t buy 1 or 2 so what chance 4 or 5 in the summer.

Yesterdays win was worrying as it told me that about 13 players are going to have to play every game we e got left this season.
To be fair this has been obvious to a lot of people from the start of the season.
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:48 am Just watched the game again

Noble was playing far too deep and trying to pick the ball up deeper than the CBs and play. This never ever works
He’s been doing this since the pre season game v Orient.
Presumably an effort to save his legs and spray passes but leaves us short of numbers in midfield.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:48 am
Their goal was down to Areola. No one else. If you are a keeper and come for the ball and don't get it then it is on you
I haven’t read what the consensus has been on who’s at fault on this, but to me I thought it looked like Areola came but was physically blocked off by Diop creating a barrier - entirely accidentally - so couldn’t get his hands to the ball, rather than him doing something ‘wrong’. Can’t really fault a man for not being able to liquify his hands to move through solid matter. Just seemed like one of those unfortunate things.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

The main problem, really, was that Areola and Diop got tangled up and the ball bounced off the unsuspecting Frederick's back.

The goal then gaped. It was unmissable.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

IronZ-79 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:35 am Was Kral really that bad? I didn't think he was the worst player. All the players struggled to get to grips with the occasion
I didn’t think he was that bad, mostly just a non-presence. Fredericks, though, has put in two of the worst back-to-back performances I can remember in the last two fixtures, one against each end of the footballing pyramid.
Last edited by Aceface on Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Couple.of things for me:

Diop gave away the foul with a rash challenge but the ball to him from Bowen was a hospital pass which created the problem

Yarmalenko was involved in pretty much every decent scoring opportunity of note except the equaliser. Plenty of players were worse than him but the dive was poor - lanzini, soucek, Antonio, Noble, Benny all done it so he isn't the only one

Kral wasn't great but it is hard to expect players with almost no game time to come in and be on top form, especially in that kind of alien environment. If you are not playing much at all then you are not up to speed with competitive football

I appreciate that you will defend your guys to the bitter end, usually Diop and Mas, but I do think it’s tended towards pushing blame away from them and apportioning it to others.

At some point mate, you’ve just got to hold your hands up and say that Diop is really bad. That’s the worst Zouma has played for us, he was really poor, but he still managed to at least do the fundamentals.

Issa was rightfully subbed off at half time against a 6th division team, because he simply couldn’t compete with them. They were targeting him.

His two game stretch between Leeds in the league and Kidderminster is probably the worst I’ve seen from a West Ham defender in recent memory.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

There was an interesting article in yesterday morning's 'Sun' from both Bish, and I know how many of you idolise him and Lee Chapman, scorer of our winning goal there in the same round in 1994. Bish said he still remembers that game, like it were yesterday and never felt we would not win. He recalled every moment of game said 'they hardly created a decent chance' and felt we won comfortably. But it was Lee Chapman, who was really scathing of Kidderminster's dirty tricks off the pitch. He said, 'They purposely opened all the dressing room windows, turned off the central heating in the away dressing room, so it was freezing cold, there was no hot water, forcing our players to shower under cold taps'
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Diop has to clear it cleanly and he doesn't, just like the shot at six minutes which comes from a passage of play where Diop again doesn't head the ball cleanly. We have a 6'5" CB who can't head a ball for bread and butter clearances.

One thing I would be interested to hear from those who were actually at the game is about the conditions - the state of the pitch, and the extent of any wind. I know when I have been to much smaller grounds in the past, that there can a feeling of being at the mercy of the elements.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

I couldn't watch the game in any great detail but what I did notice was it was another Fornals killer pass that made it happen. A good run too by rice.
Someone on here pointed out the Fornals celebration when rice scored which was a world apart from yarmos.
I really do love Pablo.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

So, in the cold light of day.....

A decent cup tie, the very essence of this famous , 150 year old competition that defines English football, and sorts it from the rest.

In no other country would you see a team stuffed with multi national multi millionaires face a side made up of players who wouldn't even be recognised in the street where they live, come so close to being knocked out of the cup.

Kidderminster were exceptional yesterday. A superb team performance, all over the pitch they looked better than we did for the opening hour. They out fought our midfield, out thought our defence and out ran us all over the pitch. They were better than us, far better.

Yesterday we saw the final, slow, painful, disintegration of Issa Diop, who, now, surely, is finished. He won't be trusted again. It's borderline cruelty to continue picking him when he is clearly shot to pieces.Likewise our Ukranian "flair" player, Yarmolenko needs to spend the last of his days at West Ham doing no more than laps of Rush Green, alone. Nobody was impressed with him yesterday, and that was before his simulated attempt to win a penalty. Cheating against a team from the 6th tier of English football ? Embarassing.

Alex Kral ? Who gave him a year long deal at West Ham ? Seriously ? Had they even see him play ? He and Noble yesterday were shocking, and I thought the Manager got it right to hook both. Fair play to Moyes for showing the club skipper the respect his 500 plus games has earned him by not pulling him off at half time, but he really could have been.

Not until wholesale changes had been made to the starting line up did we start to dictate the play, with the imperious Declan Rice leading from the front, and how apt it was that he smashed in the equaliser in the final seconds of normal time. Heartbreak for Kidderminster, and a normal time result we barely deserved, but that, as they say, is the magic of the cup.

From there we went on to win the tie in Extra time, comfortably in the end, but deary me, what an awful, truly awful, first hour. Wrong team selected to start, wrong attitude all of which increases the post transfer window negativity and places doubt in players and supporters alike minds.

Everyone knows we got out of jail yesterday, but it's no more than parole, yet again the Boards failure to provide the Manager with sufficient funds to bring in his top targets has come back to haunt us.

Win the Europa league ? You're having a laugh, we were lucky to beat Kidderminster.

Lovely supporters club at Kidderminster, popped in pre match, a large mug of coffee plus Pukka pie, £4.85.Good hosts both on and off the pitch. Andriy Yarmolenko , take note.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:10 am One thing I would be interested to hear from those who were actually at the game is about the conditions - the state of the pitch, and the extent of any wind. I know when I have been to much smaller grounds in the past, that there can a feeling of being at the mercy of the elements.
The pitch, whilst not perfect, and nothing like the carpets our lot play on every week, was decent enough, and if we are looking to that as an excuse we really are adding to our embarassment.

It was a little breezy, but again, if we are clutching at that, good grief.

Moyes picked the wrong starting line up, Kidderminster exploited it until Moyes corrected his error.

Diop £22m, Yarmo £17m....Vlasic £25m......
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:03 am I appreciate that you will defend your guys to the bitter end, usually Diop and Mas, but I do think it’s tended towards pushing blame away from them and apportioning it to others.

At some point mate, you’ve just got to hold your hands up and say that Diop is really bad. That’s the worst Zouma has played for us, he was really poor, but he still managed to at least do the fundamentals.

Issa was rightfully subbed off at half time against a 6th division team, because he simply couldn’t compete with them. They were targeting him.

His two game stretch between Leeds in the league and Kidderminster is probably the worst I’ve seen from a West Ham defender in recent memory.
For sure he didn't have a good game. His worst error was the poor header earlier in the half that led to a decent chance

However, I wouldn't blame him for the goal
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

ornchurch ammer wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:50 am To be fair this has been obvious to a lot of people from the start of the season.
I foolishly gave a lot of players too much leeway though..

Diop, Vlasic, Kral, even Yarmalenko, I have been patient with all of them.

The first 2, I just don’t get it. A £20m kid who everyone was raving about in his first season, has basically fallen off a cliff and I put it down to him only performing at his maximum with Ogbonna next to him. He has been tried next to Zouma, next to Dawson and part of a 3 and the only time he excels is next to Ogbonna.
Vlasic scored the other week and I thought, yes, that’s the weight off his shoulders now - watch him grow. However, he doesn’t appear to want to “own” the ball. He will get into great positions but rather than try and beat a player he will cut back and lay it off. I would be expecting a few tricks from a £30m player. The Croatians apparently see him as the natural successor to Modric so why are we playing him on the wing ? Not sure what position Moyes bought him for but I think it would have been worth trying him instead of Lanzini against Leeds the other week, in a deeper midfield role. He. An see a pass and deliver it so maybe it’s the fact he is stuck on the wing that’s doing him no favours.

I thought Vlasic and Kral were going to be the reason we didn’t panic in January but it doesn’t look likely at the minute..
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Couple.of things for me:

I agree with most of that, apart from Diop being no worse than Zouma. I've never been a huge fan of Zouma, and he wasn't great yesterday, but Diop was atrocious - his judgement of the pace of the ball and other players, his timing, his utter inability in the air, his passing.... just everything about his game.

Kral didn't look at all confortable on the ball, but maybe it's because he's not caught up on the speed of the game yet? Dunno, not seen enough of him, and he didn't get much of the ball in comfortable possession, as Noble was monopolising it (and then either passing sideways or backwards, or launching it forwards into touch)

I was very very unimpressed with Fredericks - I don't think he has it in him to play as a RB; I've wondered if he could be a RWB or even RW, stripped of most of the defensive stuff that he's so bad at - a right-sided Masuaku, effctively. But he looked all at see going forwards as well - a right-side Masuaku, effectively.

Must say, I found the 1½ minutes of match footage on MotD a lot more enjoyable than watching that whole ****-show live.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

the pink palermo wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:18 am The pitch, whilst not perfect, and nothing like the carpets our lot play on every week, was decent enough, and if we are looking to that as an excuse we really are adding to our embarassment.

It was a little breezy, but again, if we are clutching at that, good grief.

Moyes picked the wrong starting line up, Kidderminster exploited it until Moyes corrected his error.

Diop £22m, Yarmo £17m....Vlasic £25m......
Ta.

Yes, it was a £150m team that started, excluding loan values.

Huge amount of possession from start to finish, but it was poorly used, ponderous possession until about an hour - and a failure to do bread and butter defending.

The ghosts of Gary Strodder and Paul Hilton were written all over Diop yesterday, though Paul Hilton could head a ball.